scooter size question

bluehenfan

I will be using a scooter for my upcoming cruise on the Pride. I have never had to use scooter before, but my illness has gotten a little worse and I know a scooter will make the trip better for me and adult grandkids.

My 1st question is, what size scooter should I lease? I think the smaller one holds up to 250 lbs. I weight 244. Should I go with the heavy duty chair? Both reg. and heavy duty chairs have the same measurements as far as ht., length and wideth are concerned, but something tells me somehow the heavy duty one will be bulkier. I don't know the problems that can occur if you're almost at the weight limit for the standard chair. 2nd question is, I can walk limited distance. Can you park scooter somewhere while in main DR for dinner? I am in reg. balcony cabin with my 2 adult grandchildren, with scooter, will we be able to get to the beds? DGr.son is sleeping on sofa.( We do have a huge balcony from pictures I've seen on line. ) Thank you in advance for your input and help.

I will be using a scooter for my upcoming cruise on the Pride. I have never had to use scooter before, but my illness has gotten a little worse and I know a scooter will make the trip better for me and adult grandkids.

My 1st question is, what size scooter should I lease? I think the smaller one holds up to 250 lbs. I weight 244. Should I go with the heavy duty chair? Both reg. and heavy duty chairs have the same measurements as far as ht., length and wideth are concerned, but something tells me somehow the heavy duty one will be bulkier. I don't know the problems that can occur if you're almost at the weight limit for the standard chair. 2nd question is, I can walk limited distance. Can you park scooter somewhere while in main DR for dinner? I am in reg. balcony cabin with my 2 adult grandchildren, with scooter, will we be able to get to the beds? DGr.son is sleeping on sofa.( We do have a huge balcony from pictures I've seen on line. ) Thank you in advance for your input and help.

Hi I just returned (dec 12-19) from the pride. I had a modified balcony room but my friend had a regular balcony room and we both use scooters. Please make sure whatever scooter you pick will fit through the door. For some reason my scooter was a few inches wider than my friends and it would not fit in her doorway. And they will not let you park it outside the cabin.

So my friend could only pull in and back out of her room. She had to park the scooter in front of the couch, making it very hard to walk around the room. But they did it but wish the had asked for a modified room. I did have the modified room and there was plenty of space to park it, turn it around, and did not trip over it.

The MDR, yes they will let you park it somewhere and walk to your table. I would suggest you check where your table is right away and if it is in the back of the dining room asked to be moved towards the front.

BTW there is a large step over to get onto the balcony. They mentioned it when I booked but it was a bigger step than I expected, but of course I did it --the balcony was large and wonderful.

The only excurision I took was in Florida. We took the bus to Cocoa Beach. The bus driver loaded my scooter easily in the luggage compartment. In Nassau and Freeport, I just drove it off the ship and around port.

Feel free to ask anything else. This was my first cruise and now I am better prepared for the next one.

If renting from CareVacations, suggest you rent the Midsize Pride Go Go that has a weight capacity of 300lbs. Here's the link to their website http://www.carevacations.com/cruiseshipassist/mobility-equipment/mid-size-scooter/ This model is very easy to handle and is not as wide as the standard heavy duty scooters that other companies rent. It's portable and easy to breakdown into 5 pieces so it can fit in the trunk of a taxi if needed. Check out Pride's website to view disassembly video http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/index.asp On main page click on the picture that has the caption "feather touch to view video.

I know for certain this model fits through most standard cabin doors. However you need to be concerned if you have enough room to store it in the cabin since the sofa will be opened to be used as bed each night. Strongly recommend NOT storing the scooter on the balcony as it it could be damaged from weather. Remember it's a rental and if damaged you are responsible for replacement. If the scooter will not fit in the cabin DO NOT store it in the hallway. Rather ask the Cabin Steward to store it for you and return the key each night. Than in the morning give the key back to the Cabin Steward to retreive the scooter. The best thing to do would be to call the cruise line to see if an HC Balcony Cabin might still be availalble.

RE: Main Dining Room - you can ride the scooter to your table and the waiter will than park it nearby and retrieve it when you are ready to leave.

Three adults in a regular balcony cabin, plus a scooter? I'm not sure this is going to work. There will be no place for you to keep the scooter without making it impossible for anyone to move in the cabin. There is barely room to move in a regular cabin with two adults plus a scooter.

• 4 weeks later...

We have never cruised without a scooter. Harry can walk a short distance but relies on the scooter for shopping trips and excursions - it can be taken apart easilly so I can load it into the boot of our compact hatchback. The advantage of the lighter version is the ease of getting it on and off tenders - so far we have not had a refusal from crew on either Princess or Holland America. The possible negative side for a lighter version could be a shorter range if you intend to travel miles on shore. We use a mix of self propelled scooting and taxis - and again the lighter version makes it easier to encourage the local drivers to handle it in and out of the luggage area or boot. Dinner is not a problem - we usually get valet parking! - from one of the waiters. Cabin space is a problem no matter what size you choose - probably too late to suggest this but try for a cabin that opens directly off the lift well so you can drive straight in - turning corners can be a problem in narrow areas. Again check out the turning circle. Be prepared to be a source of entertainment to locals - especially children in ports where scooters are a novelty. On one Pacific island we collected a retunue of small boys who vied for the chance of a ride. We could not travel wiothout ours - it is easy to forget how long cruise ships can be and how much time can be spent commuting to and from the theatre and dining room.

Archived