ms russ

marco_polo11

Time to ask a question and keep us on the first page.

How is the beer in Russia? My husband loves his beer and we like to sample the local beers from the places we travel to. Any beers to try, any to avoid?

Thanks,

Nancy

Check out this link abour Russian beers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltika_Breweries

We were just discussing this yesterday. Beers are numbered. My husband can only drink wheat beer and it is a #8.

I didn't drink any beer- neither my daughter nor me cares for the stuff. However, our dining partner seemed to always have a beer in her hands- so it must not have been too bad! :D I can highly recommend the vodka and many of the colorful mixed drinks as I made a point of trying different drinks. I now have a new love of the White Russian too! :eek:

Yes!!!!!

I have actually taken a few things out. I also bought a small box of 1/2 & 1/2 (individual containers that do not need to be refrigerated). I like creamer in my coffee. These are in a ziplock bag inside a plastic container.

I need to google maps to get to Starbucks (i get a friend their coffee mugs for Christmas), Hard Rock (we collect the pilsner glasses) & the Harley dealer (t-shirts). My bags will be full before we leave Moscow!

You would think that I had never traveled anywhere before. I am getting so excited that the tip is all I can think about.

8 days to go - but who's counting

Nancy

Don't know about the Russ but the sister boat Tolstoi had plenty of sugar substitutes and creamer (as well as real cream). Sugar is great and old-fashioned cubes. Hotels and cafes in SP and Moscow, same thing so save the space. They really are very Americanized. One funny word I learned in Russian will apply anywhere over there if a waiter or bartender has limited English. Martini...is a pretty well-known drink. No problem with a Dewars and water, Jack Daniels, Merlot, etc. but Martini turned into a challenge for the couple traveling with us (my old college roommate and his wife). We were in a very nice place and Shelly and I had eaten there before. Timur the waiter had fair English so no problems. However Mike decided he wanted a Martini that evening. Blank stare....so I tried to help. I went back to the bar and everything was very recognizable such as Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's, etc. but I couldn't spot anything even based on bottle shape and color that looked like dry Vermouth. The bartender had no English. Suddenly a attractive young lady working on her laptop down by the end on the bar stood up and in very idiomatic English said "Oh my God!". She was prob. the manager. She ran around the corner, emerged behind the bar, found the Vermouth, etc olives and Gin and made the Martini. She held it up and showed it to both the bartender and waiter and said loudly "Bond - Sir James Bond - shaken not stirred". All nodded in recognition since everyone over there has seen the movie. So I concluded that a safe way to order a Martini would be make the universal sign for taking a drink and then say "Bond - Sir James Bond".

TEB3

Nancy~ My daughter uses cream and sugar in her coffee as well. The ship had bowls on each table with cubes and a little creamer pourer. At breakfast there were creamer packets.

We spent about an hour shopping on Arbat street and the Hard Rock Cafe is right there. We didn't have time to eat there- though that had been one of our goals. Have you made plans to visit there before the cruise?

On the ship in the bar they had book menus with the drinks in them. Each drink has a picture and lists all the ingredients. I liked trying a different drink each time.

8 days? Awesome! That was all I could think about the last two weeks too!

• 1 month later...

Nancy~ are you still out there? How was the cruise?

After so many months of planning and anticipation, it's hard to believe that my cruise is already two months past. :(

The good news is, I made a lifetime's worth of memories and hope to order my shutterfly 12x12 coffee table book very soon! :D

Archived