Freestyle Cruising?

LittleMissMagic

Hello! I have never cruised NCL before, only "traditional" cruiselines. However, I have seen the NCL ships in port and they look very nice. I have my eye on a Western Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Sun and was wondering if someone could fill me in on what Freestyle Cruising is all about.

Do you still have formal nights? Or is there no dress code at all?

Freestyle is about eating whenever you want, right? Do they have a main dining room and fancy dinners, though? Can you have a set dining time with your own waitor if you want, though, or is that not an option?

I've always been hesitant to cruise NCL because part of what I love about cruising is dressing up for dinner and having a dining staff that knows my name and what I like to drink. I suppose I'm afraid that there wont be any formality on NCL.

So, guys.... who wants to sell me on Norwegian? :D

Hello! I have never cruised NCL before, only "traditional" cruiselines. However, I have seen the NCL ships in port and they look very nice. I have my eye on a Western Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Sun and was wondering if someone could fill me in on what Freestyle Cruising is all about.

Freestyle is about eating whenever you want, right? Do they have a main dining room and fancy dinners, though? Can you have a set dining time with your own waitor if you want, though, or is that not an option?

I've always been hesitant to cruise NCL because part of what I love about cruising is dressing up for dinner and having a dining staff that knows my name and what I like to drink. I suppose I'm afraid that there wont be any formality on NCL.

Well...... personally I am not interested in selling you on NCL, just giving you my experience and opinion on NCL. There are no designated formal nights just a night or two "dress up or not". Freestyle is dining without set times like the usual 6.30 or 8.30 and having the same table with the same people. You just show up and you have the option of sitting by yourself(s), table for two or with others, that choice is yours as well. On our NCL Dawn cruise this past October, I believed all dining venues open at 5.30 till 10.30, not sure if you can request you specific waiter because of shifting. You are correct in that there is less formality on NCL for dress at evening dinners. Jeans and t-shirts are allowed in all venues, although beach attire isn't permitted(as it shouldn't be). NCL suites my lifestyle as I do not dress in any type of formal wear(shirt,tie, suit etc.) while on vacation, I simply refuse to do so and will not attend any functions that request it - bar none. Having said that, people do dress up for their evening meals and enjoying doing so and you will see that with NCL. I respect your view point on formality but caution, you maybe sitting next to a person like me in my jeans and t-shirt(which I wore all the time) so I will leave it to you to decide if this makes or breaks your decision on NCL.

I found NCL guests and crew to be less uptight and having a more cheerful disposition than I experienced with Princess and Carnival and I attribute that to the freestyle concept....... Just my two cents and probably all it is worth. NCL does appear to have a dedicated following and I (we) are one of them..

:)

They do not assign you a waiter and a table. Dining is at your leisure, depending upon which venue you wish to dine at.

There is a minimal dress code for dinner.

There are typically a couple of 'dress-up' nights on a 7 day trip. Formal attire is optional.

If you're looking for formal and the same staff, you probably won't like NCL Freestyle. However, the dining rooms I think are extremely nice and speciality dining even more so. but you will be dining with others that are not dressed formal. If you like, or don't mind, walking into an on shore restaurant, asking for a table, maybe having a small wait, then dining as you would in that type setting, you'll like NCL ok. If not, I would stick with the other line.

Do you still have formal nights? Or is there no dress code at all? They have dress up or not nights. Many people do both, but you will see people in jeans and t-shirts in the dining room. If this will bother you maybe NCL is not for you!

Freestyle is about eating whenever you want, right? Do they have a main dining room and fancy dinners, though? Can you have a set dining time with your own waitor if you want, though, or is that not an option? I have heard that you can request the same waiter and time and dining room each night, but I really don't know about that. Why go freestyle if you really want set dining times?

I've always been hesitant to cruise NCL because part of what I love about cruising is dressing up for dinner and having a dining staff that knows my name and what I like to drink. I suppose I'm afraid that there wont be any formality on NCL. There are many waiters you will see from night to night even in different dining rooms, but it is not like it is with traditional dining. I like that I do not have to sit with other people at my table I do not know! A big perk for mr. If you like that type of dining........NCL might not be for you!

I won't sell you on it because you have to answer the questions that are important to you. If the traditional cruise items are important to you, NCL might not be for you!

Good luck on your decision!

Do you still have formal nights? Or is there no dress code at all? These are really two separate questions.

No, there aren't any formal nights. There are what they call "dress up or not" nights, and some people do dress formally while others are more casual.

But there is a dress code: "resort casual", meaning you don't need a shirt and tie, or suit, or fancy clothes, but they'd prefer you not go completely casual, with t-shirts, shorts, cargo pants, clothes you'd wear to wash your car. Nice slacks, collared shirt sort of attire for dinner, at least.

Freestyle is about eating whenever you want, right? Do they have a main dining room and fancy dinners, though? Yes, they have a main dining room. Two of them. One tends to be a bit more "dressy" than the other, but you can go to either, at any time the dining room is open, usually around 5:30 to 10: p.m. And of course the dining room is open for breakfast and lunch too (except on port days).

In addition there are specialty restaurants (with a surcharge) where you can get even fancier dinners, if you wish. In my experience people tend to dress up even more for the specialty restaurants, maybe because they're sometimes celebrating special events, like anniversaries, birthdays, that sort of thing.

Can you have a set dining time with your own waitor if you want, though, or is that not an option? If you really want a set dining time with the same waiters, you can make a reservation for the same time and same dining room each night, and indicate that you want the same waiters. The dining room will try to accommodate you. But the waiters do sometimes move through other venues (buffet, sometimes the specialty restaurants, sometimes the more casual cafes) so it may not always be possible.

I've always been hesitant to cruise NCL because part of what I love about cruising is dressing up for dinner and having a dining staff that knows my name and what I like to drink. I suppose I'm afraid that there wont be any formality on NCL. No, there won't be that degree of formality on NCL. If you do make reservations and get the same waiters, they will try to accommodate your needs, if you let them know that you expect to drink the same thing every time you come, or want the same dish ready for you, or whatever. But they won't automatically do that, as one of the features of "freestyle" is the ability to be flexible about eating times, waiters, what I choose to eat/drink, etc.

No "sell(ing) on Norwegian" here. I've cruised on NCL and other lines, and will always choose "freestyle", or "anytime dining" or whatever flexible dining other lines offer. As for going formal, while I do clean up and dress up for dinner, by no means do I go "formal". And finally, I really don't want the waiters to anticipate what I might want to drink or eat; heck, I don't always know myself until I come into the dining room!

So if those things are really important to you, then NCL might not be your best choice of cruise lines.

LOVE FREE~STYLE the only line i have cruised on that i didnt feel "rushed" and stressed-out!!

LOVE deciding for myself whether i want to dress-up or not, eat where i want and when i want (within dining hrs) and the laid-back, relaxed feeling i get cruising NCL...if you want that then try FREE~STYLE....as you can see "HERE" there are many of US who LOVE IT:);)

LOVE FREE~STYLE the only line i have cruised on that i didnt feel "rushed" and stressed-out!!

LOVE deciding for myself whether i want to dress-up or not, eat where i want and when i want (within dining hrs) and the laid-back, relaxed feeling i get cruising NCL...if you want that then try FREE~STYLE....as you can see "HERE" there are many of US who LOVE IT:);)

OK I asked a question about NCL's freestyle on another post and you didnt answer so let me ask a different way.

According to your signature you haven't cruised any other cruise lines since 2004.

Did any of the non NCL cruises have freestyle cruising when you sailed them?

I honestly dont know and just looking for a point of reference.:)

Bill

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm not sure that freestyle is for me. I like having a set time for dinner because otherwise I might forget to go (that happens to me a lot at home... please no flames). And I like looking at other people's outfits on formal nights. I don't think I would be bothered by someone sitting beside me in jeans, but I'm a big people watcher and I love to stake out a spot in the atrium to watch other guests take photos on formal nights.

I might give it a try sometime... maybe for Hawaii? They seem to have the most Hawaii itinerary options.

With traditional cruising it used to bum me out that I had to eat dinner at a certain time. Sometimes I just didn't feel like stopping what I was enjoying doing to go clean up and change for dinner. Then I tried NCL... Ah, it was a good feeling.

Now I choose. On my Dawn cruise, we planned a special dinner in Le Bistro, for my nephew's 18th birthday. We all dressed up. I took a dressy dress and a pair of Loubouton heels. It was great. I didn't care what other pax were wearingnin there. But we were dining on Chauteaubrian gazing at a Renoir. The next year I cruised the Sun and took a few skirts and tops and some mules and boots, and again, didn't care about other's attire.

You won't know if you like freestyle until you try it!

It sounds to me like you will not be happy with the freestyle concept. Personally I don't like it either, but since I live in Maine it's the only cruise line available to me out of Boston that goes somewhere warm. The problem with freestyle is that some people construe it to mean that they can wear anything they want, anywhere they want. I don't think that's what NCL had in mind when they created the concept, but they lack the desire to enforce what they created. Not only will you see a lot of people who have made no effort to dress for dinner, but many will show up in the dining room in their Sunday best tee shirts and shorts. Some will disagree with me, but it ruins the dining experience for those of us who still strive for the classic cruising experience.

I too enjoy having the same table/table mates and waiters nightly; I have some friends to this day that I met at the dinner table years ago. I miss formal nights as well, when the dining room looks so elegant and magical. But, there are many reasons to choose a cruise, and you have to decide which details are deal breakers to you. For me, the ease of cruising without having to fly to port is more important than dining options. So, I wait for the day when other cruise lines decide to offer cruises out of Boston. One can only wish!

It sounds to me like you will not be happy with the freestyle concept. Personally I don't like it either, but since I live in Maine it's the only cruise line available to me out of Boston that goes somewhere warm. The problem with freestyle is that some people construe it to mean that they can wear anything they want, anywhere they want. I don't think that's what NCL had in mind when they created the concept, but they lack the desire to enforce what they created. Not only will you see a lot of people who have made no effort to dress for dinner, but many will show up in the dining room in their Sunday best tee shirts and shorts. Some will disagree with me, but it ruins the dining experience for those of us who still strive for the classic cruising experience.

I too enjoy having the same table/table mates and waiters nightly; I have some friends to this day that I met at the dinner table years ago. I miss formal nights as well, when the dining room looks so elegant and magical. But, there are many reasons to choose a cruise, and you have to decide which details are deal breakers to you. For me, the ease of cruising without having to fly to port is more important than dining options. So, I wait for the day when other cruise lines decide to offer cruises out of Boston. One can only wish!

I wish I could drive to a close cruise port and not have to fly! I think I would actually cruise another line (no freestyle) if that was the case. LOL How funny that everyone looks for something different! Happy cruising!

I wish I could drive to a close cruise port and not have to fly! I think I would actually cruise another line (no freestyle) if that was the case. LOL How funny that everyone looks for something different! Happy cruising!

I absolutely HATE to fly. I never liked it to begin with, but now with all the requirements, fees and security hassles I hate it even more. Without flying though, I am limited to Boston or maybe New York (but it would take me most of the day to get to New York). I too would choose another line, more traditional, if I had that choice.

Happy cruising to you too!

I don't think that's what NCL had in mind when they created the concept, but they lack the desire to enforce what they created.

Funny but in 30 cruises over 5 different cruise lines I can only remember an "enforcement" of any dress code done 4 times. Three of those were on NCL cruises. One was asked to remove a ball cap before being seated and the other two were wearing shorts for the evening meal.

Overall we have seen a lack of enforcement of many rules on all lines that we have cruised. We've seen dress code, kids in the adults only pools, chair hogs, etc. etc. etc. enforced on some cruises and not on others of the same line.

Back to the topic: Only you can decide if NCL is for you. We enjoy Freestyle as well as traditional cruising. When on other lines where open seating is an option we still select early traditional dining. Basically for us "It's All Good:)".

Charlie

We chose to start cruising on NCL in considerable part owing to the concept of freestyle, and we have continued with NCL despite assertions that other companies appeal to other folks including those who yearn for sterner enforcement of rules. I had enough of that during two years of cruising aboard one of Uncle Sam's vessels.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm not sure that freestyle is for me. I like having a set time for dinner because otherwise I might forget to go (that happens to me a lot at home... please no flames). And I like looking at other people's outfits on formal nights. I don't think I would be bothered by someone sitting beside me in jeans, but I'm a big people watcher and I love to stake out a spot in the atrium to watch other guests take photos on formal nights.

I might give it a try sometime... maybe for Hawaii? They seem to have the most Hawaii itinerary options.

For certain, it would seem that Freestyle won't agree with you. We really don't wanta return to the old system.

On a side note: I cannot envision 'forgetting to eat'.

On a side note: I cannot envision 'forgetting to eat'.

Most cannot. I don't know many others with that problem, but I've been like that since my childhood. It's not that big of a deal, though, and if I were cruising with others, then they would probably remind me.

Overall we have seen a lack of enforcement of many rules on all lines that we have cruised. We've seen dress code, kids in the adults only pools, chair hogs, etc. etc. etc. enforced on some cruises and not on others of the same line.

Agreed. Royal Caribbean used to enforce the dress code, but lately they have not. On our last cruise with RCI, we asked why they didn't enforce the dress code anymore, and our head waitor told us it's because guests got upset. There were people in baseball caps and athletic shorts.

this thread helps me lean toward NCL even more. I too try my hardest NOT to dress formal while on vacation. Its like I'm headed to work :eek:

When I go out on the Chesapeake Bay on any boat, the last thing on my mind is wearing anything but shorts and a T-shirt. Sure, I'll dress in a polo for dinner if it makes others comfortable, but I'd rather not have to spend 20 minutes getting dressed up for a wedding, just to grab a burger and fries.:rolleyes:

this thread helps me lean toward NCL even more. I too try my hardest NOT to dress formal while on vacation. Its like I'm headed to work :eek:

When I go out on the Chesapeake Bay on any boat, the last thing on my mind is wearing anything but shorts and a T-shirt. Sure, I'll dress in a polo for dinner if it makes others comfortable, but I'd rather not have to spend 20 minutes getting dressed up for a wedding, just to grab a burger and fries.:rolleyes:

Oh, you don't have to get dressed up to grab a burger and fries on any ships that I know of. Most all cruiselines, in addition to the main dining room that has a dress code, also have a casual dining area that one may choose to eat at. I just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Dream, and they actually had the same food in their informal dining room as they did in their formal dining rooms every night.

You can grab a burger and fries on most mainline cruise lines without getting dressed up. Burgers and fries aren't served in the main dining room, however...where long pants are appreciated on some lines, expected on others...

You can grab a burger and fries on most mainline cruise lines without getting dressed up. Burgers and fries aren't served in the main dining room, however...where long pants are appreciated on some lines, expected on others...

then I guess its time for me to learn which ones appreciate versus those who "expect" :eek:

I never fully understood the dress code thing. I guess folks think that people will be better behaved if dressed in a $1,000 suit. I've seen CEOs come to work in jeans and T-shirt, and do fine. Prime example, look at Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook. He offended others daily, by showing up to their meetings in pajamas.

I guess that comes with age. sorry to go too far off topic.

Some (most?) lines have a children's menu that include burgers, fries, hot dogs and banana splits. I've seen adults order from the menu at dinner . . . . no problem:)

Charlie

Ok, you have to give something up to gain something. As for dressing up, yes, you can and you will not stand out like a sore thumb, but you will be in the minority. Many cruiselines are getting away from the formal nights, it won't be long before all but lines like Cunard do away with formal nights. At least that is how I see it.

If you want the same wait staff you can decide on this and request a certain person each night, but this takes away from the meaning of freestyle.

That being said, I am a beleiver everyone should try different things in life. You will never know what suits you until you experience it. I would never go back to traditional dining.

Nita

Most cannot. I don't know many others with that problem, but I've been like that since my childhood. It's not that big of a deal, though, and if I were cruising with others, then they would probably remind me.

what would make you remember to eat by having a set time anymore than having choices? That being said I am thinking you seem to be someone who likes regimentation more than a relaxed atmosphere. Probably other lines would be more to your liking.

Nita

Archived