First few hours on the ship

Crusier2010

After reading the CC boards for two+ months, I know there are several things that were suggested to do as soon as you board. Can someone tell me where you do these things at and if there is anything I missed. Leaving on NA this Sunday

Purchase Internet package?

Make reservations for cooking class?

Make reservations for Microsoft class?

Make reservation for Canellato(sp)?

Buy drink cards?

Can first timers make reservation for the Captain's Dinner and when is it?

Thanks so much:)

After reading the CC boards for two+ months, I know there are several things that were suggested to do as soon as you board. Can someone tell me where you do these things at and if there is anything I missed. Leaving on NA this Sunday

Purchase Internet package? Usually not available until a little later in first day. Say, after 2 or 3pm. Then there will be a bonus package- an extra 20 or 30 minutes- available.

Make reservations for cooking class? Good idea.

Make reservations for Microsoft class? Good idea.

Make reservation for Canellato(sp)? Very good idea.

Buy drink cards? No rush, always available.

Can first timers make reservation for the Captain's Dinner and when is it? Not sure what you are referring to. The first formal night is the Captain's welcome aboard night. But no reservations are required I can think of.

The number of things that need to be done immediately has declined significantly with pre-booking stuff on line.

Where these classes are held, usually. That can vary by ship.

The meeting rooms are usually located off the atrium on the 2 and 3rd deck. I forget the name of the meeting room where the cooking class is held, but it is on the 3rd deck immediately to the rear of the Vista Lounge, IIRC.

The front desk, or the daily schedule will have the answers when you get on board.

Purchase Internet package? The computers are located in the Explorer's Lounge on the Starboard side of the Crow's Nest. The internet manager will be on duty to help you get set up.

Make reservations for cooking class? Can be made at either the front office or the Culinary Art's Center located in the Queen's Lounge. Limited to 12 people -- $29 per person.

Make reservations for Microsoft class? No reservations -- you just show up.

Make reservation for Canellato(sp)? There will be a desk set up on the port side of the Lido by the glass elevators.

Buy drink cards? We bought our Beverage Cards at the Ocean Bar.

Can first timers make reservation for the Captain's Dinner and when is it? The captain's Table is limited to 18 people on the Nieuw Amsterdam and sells out quickly. Need to make the reservations at the Pinnacle Grill. Price was $75 on our cruises.

There is also the Le Cirque dinner one evening in the Pinnacle.

After reading the CC boards for two+ months, I know there are several things that were suggested to do as soon as you board. Can someone tell me where you do these things at and if there is anything I missed.

Make reservations for Microsoft class?

The Microsoft class(es) fill up fast, so be sure to arrive early.

Can someone tell me where you do these things at

Purchase Internet package?

You should be able to purchase an Internet package as soon as you board. The Internet Manager may, or may not, be on duty, but it isn't necessary for him to be there. The computer will lead you through the steps.

I say "should be able to purchase", as sometimes the passenger list has not been loaded for Internet usage, and the Internet Manager has to gather the info.

Sometimes the Internet system has my last name incorrect, and I have to wait until the Internet Manager is there to let me know what name they are using this time. :rolleyes:

I say "should be able to purchase", as sometimes the passenger list has not been loaded for Internet usage, and the Internet Manager has to gather the info.

This was exactly the issue on our last two cruises, and even the Manager said to wait until a little later in the afternoon.

I usually take a leisurely stroll around the ship and visit the various decks to figure out what's where. I also check out the location of my dinner table if I have fixed dining.

Roz

FYI--the internet packages are a rip-off.

well not really, considering the satellites, overhead, etc. but if you can, stop somewhere ashore on a day you're not so keen on the port or have some free time.

unless you absolutely, positively require internet time every day of your cruise, give it up.

If you're bringing a laptop you can set up the internet on your own; there will be a printed sheet telling how to do it at the Internet desk whether the manager is there or not. Or there always has been when we've stopped by. It's a very simple procedure.

While you're there you can look over the library and pick out some good stuff to read; if you board very early the books may still be unavailable but usually it's pretty quickly set up.

Good idea to check out where your table is; you could still plead your case :) if it's isn't exactly what you were hoping for; you can ask the front desk or look in your program to see where that's happening.

Look at the program they gave you when you checked in; you may find some great activity that starts rightnow that you wouldn't want to miss. Even while others are boarding the early ones can start having fun.

Above all, take a deep breath, look around and just enjoy where you are! You're in for a great vacation.

Don't forget to stop in at the front desk and sign up for the unlimited laundry package. (DH does that - he doesn't want to do laundry while we are on vacation, and neither do I!)

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

The price depends on the length of your cruise. I believe it's about $90 for a 7 day cruise, and $150 for a 14 day cruise. We added up all the things we sent for cleaning and it cost less than half of what we would have paid by the piece. We like the convenience of sending things out every night, then we don't have a build-up of dirty laundry in the cabin. Of course, you can always go with the "by the bag" special which is about $16 for all you can cram into a single bag.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Archived