Would you book a cruise on the Vendaam following scheduled time in dry dock?

siebelqueen

We're considering booking the May 1st sailing on the Veendam to Bermuda. The current sale makes it extremely reasonable for us to take our two kids with us, especially compared to similar sailings on Royal Carribean and Celebrity. However, I just noticed that the ship is scheduled to be in dry dock in Freeport until April 28th. Knowing that the ship is going to be in dry dock, would you book the May 1st sailing? If you've had a similar booking experience, please let me know. Anything to set my mind at ease would make this process so much easier. Thanks!

We have it booked. Booked it a year ago not knowing about the drydock, only that it was the first sailing out of NYC to Bermuda for 2011. I am hoping for the best.

Nephew was on the NCL Jewel that was delayed leaving NYC 24 hours a couple of weeks ago as there was a crane accident aboard the Jewell the week before his cruise during its drydock, which then held up the NCL Gem getting it's timeslot in drydock so it held up their next cruise about 5 hours late leaving NYC.

But I am an optimist, and this is HAL, so I am hoping for the very best. At least there are no passengers disembarking, and I would hope crew boards in Freeport and will have all the cabins made up for when we board!

Normally I would have no qualms about taking the first cruise after a drydock, but not this time.

From what I understand, the Retreat area on the aft of the Veendam is to be removed and totally revamped. Since there were such problems when it was installed, I anticipate problems taking it out. Just my gut feeling on this.

A normal drydock, without major reconstuction of areas, would never stop me from booking the first cruise after. That is not what this drydock will be.

Good luck to all sailing the first cruise. Other than that concern, the Veendam to Bermuda is a great time!

Archived