Mullet/Maho or Orient??

Dave08

We will be in St. Marteen from 8-5:30 on Monday April 11th. Instead of doing an excursion here, we would just like to do a beach day. I think I have narrowed down our beach choices to going to either Mullet Bay and then over to Maho to see the planes or spending the entire day at Orient. I would like to do both but from what I have read it would be a stretch to get it all in with the traffic and the distance from Orient to Maho. Also I don't want to spend a ton of money on taxi fares.

What would others recommend? Mullet and Maho or Orient all day?? My DW has been to St. Marteen previously and went to Pinel Island but I have never been. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Orient has watersports and more choices for food and much better washroom facilities. I have been there when the sea is calm but sometimes the water is rough and the beach can be windy as it is on the Atlantic side of the island. It is a long beach and a perfect place for a long walk and some people watching. Mullet is a beautiful beach with a stand for food and drinks but pitiful washroom facilities. Both offer chairs and umbrella rentals and some so-so snorkeling. Maho has 2 bars and at least one serves food and they have chairs and umbrellas for their customers. The big draw of course are the planes landing. Not the greatest beach on the island IMHO but worth a trip just for the planes.

I think it comes down to how much you want to see the planes.

gary

p.s. Karysa is correct about the bathroom facilities at Mullet, but it's a great beach.

Gary-

My wife is not really into the planes so if we were more interested in the beach and relaxing then would Orient be the ticket? Or do you recommend a better beach?

IMNSHO, Orient is absolutely the best choice (if you aren't locked in to seeing the planes).

1.3 miles of beautiful beach, numerous choices for drink and eats, watersports, etc. and the OPTION to go clothing free if you desire.

You probably already know what it has to offer. :)

gary

Orient is beautiful.

When we were on St. Maarten we used Bernard's tours and had a private island tour which included time at Orient and Maho beaches as well as a tour in between, history of the island, and unlimited (super strong!) rum punch. It was a great day.

Well then the decision is made.....Orient it is!! Now I will just need to figure out where we will camp out for the day. Does anyone recommend one place over the other to get a couple of chairs and an umbrella? I have read good things about Le String and Kon Tiki but that is about it.

Archived