Information on Benoa--Tender port in Bali

rpv2sail

I'll be stopping in Bali on the Diamond Princess--tendering at Benoa in February. I've been looking for information on what is around Benoa but haven't had much luck. If anyone has been to Benoa I'd appreciate any information you could provide regarding location, things to do, guides you used, etc.

I'm interested in Batik and local crafts so I'm considering two Princess shore excursions. 1) A Traditional Village trip to Celuk, Penglipuran & Ubud and a 2) Batik Village & Historic Bali Pavillion. If you've been to these villages please let me know what you thought.

Thanks for you help,

Hi,

Benoa is not the most exciting area of Bali but gives good access to the more interesting areas.

I don't know how long you are in port, but the trip to Celuk, Ubud etc would certainly give you a chance to see a little of the island and some local areas. I suspect you will find that it will be mostly a shopping excursion because Celuk is an area where the silversmiths/jewellers are concentrated. Ubud is now fairly commercial though there are many galleries. Attempts are being made to restrict access of tourist buses to the centre of town which is probably the most interesting part as it is where the palace, temple and market are found.

I would suggest that you look at Trip Advisor and Virtual Tourist for areas in the centre/south of Bali, work out what you would like to see and then consider a private tour. Many drivers are now also accredited tour guides and unlike the old days, will not take you to 'special shop, with good price' where they receive a kickback.

You will probably find areas like Ubud, Celuk, possibly Sanur etc appealing but more enjoyable done with a driver or very small group.

If you are still in port in the early evening, also consider a dance performance, many of which are held at temples or at pavilions belonging to the banjars(local community).

Whatever you choose to do, Bali is a lovely island if you stay away from the Kuta area. All along the roads there are wonderful glimpses of daily life: people working in rice fields and vegetable gardens, little warungs (cafes), food being sold from carts, carpenters going about their work, children going to and from school, flowers, temples and shrines, all sorts of goods being carried on motor scooters, stray chooks and unfortunately much rubbish.

Have a great time,

Sue

We are just back from Diamond and we tendered ashore at Benoa. It is a long tender ride and there is not much at Benoa, so you do have to get away from the tender dock. One of our Roll Call members organised a private tour for us. We filled 2 busses and a had a full day , full on tour , visiting Temples, Volcanoes, Art and Crafts and Silver shopping ,plus some time at the end at Sanur.

A ships tour would probably be the way to go, so you can get out and see the countryside ,which is really beautiful. The roads are very narrow and traffic can be heavy at times especially around the bigger towns.

If you are happy organising your own day, many taxis and taxi vans were at the entrance to the tender dock and several passengers negotiated a day rate with the driver.

One tip... all the tour busses seemed to return to the dock just in time for the last tender, so at 4.30 thousands of passengers were dropped off at the dock and it was a bit of a shambles. Long lines that seemed to take forever to move along, particularly after a full day of touring . Needless to say we were late sailing away from Bali.

• 11 months later...
David,

Thank you for the info--I've engaged a private tour for my husband and me and will make sure we get back to the ship a head of the 4PM rush.

Pam

Hi Pam (or anyone else),

Please post the name of your guide and how you found him or her if you don't mind. Thanks! Jeanne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have booked a car/driver thru the "driver with distinction team" email info below, I found this information on the "trip advisor" web site.

bali-dean@dps.centrein.net.id - http://www.baliwithdean.blogspot.com

I am there on the 24th Feb and some of the drivers were already booked out, so book as soon as you can.

Have fun

• 1 year later...

We just came back from Millenium "Gems of southeast Asia" cruise. In Benoa we hired a great driver/tour guide Kadek Ana (kadek_poneil@yahoo.com mobile:081 80555834).

He is very knowledgeable about Bali and traditions, speaks a very good English, and very easy going and happy.

• 1 month later...

Bali- Feb 20 &21

We went on an amazing tour of Bali with Komang Wardiapa on Feb 20 & 21, 2013. You can contact him at Komang@bali-go-round.com . I could tell right away that things were going to be well organized as he replied promptly to my emails and answered all my questions. We arrived on a cruise ship that stayed overnight which allowed us do a tour on 2 consecutive days. We did the Absolute country Side Tour visiting Tanah Lot Temple, Jatiluwih Village of beautiful rice terraces, Ulun Danu Beratan Temple on a lake and an art market. On the second day we did the Ubud Tour visiting a 14th C temple, some art villages, a Balinese house compound and the Monkey Forest. Komang was very accommodating and flexible which was a good thing as our ship arrived 3 hours late and he had to rearrange some of our plans. We had a driver and Komang, the guide, and a large, comfortable 12 seater AC van for the 10 of us. The cost was very reasonable for the day and that included everything as well as all admissions and lunch. Komang’s English is excellent and he was very helpful with all our shopping and money exchanges. I can’t say enough about how much his infectious smile, outgoing personality and friendliness made this an exceptional tour and the highlight of our trip.

I'll be stopping in Bali on the Diamond Princess--tendering at Benoa in February. I've been looking for information on what is around Benoa but haven't had much luck. If anyone has been to Benoa I'd appreciate any information you could provide regarding location, things to do, guides you used, etc.

I'm interested in Batik and local crafts so I'm considering two Princess shore excursions. 1) A Traditional Village trip to Celuk, Penglipuran & Ubud and a 2) Batik Village & Historic Bali Pavillion. If you've been to these villages please let me know what you thought.

Thanks for you help,

Archived