Starting a cruise basket

Two things that I found at Walmart today. A pop up hamper for $6. It's a little bigger than a frisbee and popped up to be 3 feet tall!! The second thing was a clear card holder with a retactable lanyard for a dollar. They were located with the men's wallets in the men's department. Perfect for sail and sign cards.

I am going crazy trying to find some inflatable hangers!!!

I've been to Ace, Home Center and a handful of Dollar Stores -- none, none, none!

What is an inflatable hanger? I mean, I gues I know what it is, but why? Enlighten me please.

What is an inflatable hanger? I mean, I gues I know what it is, but why? Enlighten me please.

I've been in hotels where the hangers are these clip things that attach to the bar in the closet -- they are worthles for taking out and hanging up a bathing suit or whatever to dry in the bathroom.

Don't know what I will find in the cabin, so I just want to be sure I have something I can hang a bathing suit to dry on or a dress to freshen up with steam in the bathroom.

I also haven't found the sea sickness bracelets yet. The travel stores here are geared to young "trekkers" -- even if they are going to be on some kind of boat (as opposed to ship) going up or down river somewhere they would never admit to having that kind of a problem!

I've been in hotels where the hangers are these clip things that attach to the bar in the closet -- they are worthles for taking out and hanging up a bathing suit or whatever to dry in the bathroom.

Don't know what I will find in the cabin, so I just want to be sure I have something I can hang a bathing suit to dry on or a dress to freshen up with steam in the bathroom.

I also haven't found the sea sickness bracelets yet. The travel stores here are geared to young "trekkers" -- even if they are going to be on some kind of boat (as opposed to ship) going up or down river somewhere they would never admit to having that kind of a problem!

On Princess ships there are plenty of hangers that come off and can be hung in bathroom. If you want inflatables though a quick google search will find many. Here are some from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Travel-Laundry-Hangers-Clothes/dp/B0002VQKWO

here are the bands: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_23?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sea+sickness+wristbands&sprefix=sea+sickness+wristbands

One stop shopping! :D

Edited by 5326jan

You can find the sea bands at Walgreens, CVS, or pretty much any drug store.

You can find the sea bands at Walgreens' date=' CVS, or pretty much any drug store.[/quote']

Not here, I couldn't. I tried the local drugstore changes, a couple of stores of each of them.

We don't have those chains, by the way.

I am going on my first cruise around the med in august. I have started to collect stuff already. i bought a fab new suitcase and have it in my spare bedroom. I buy things and pop them in there.I have some fab toiletries from christmas and have assigned them for the cruise. And much to my daughters amazement i have bought 4 new bikinis...lol

I'm planning to take some ziploc type bags in different sizes - I always find a use for them on other vacations and I guess cruises won't be different. Also, if you have a Kindle, I've read that putting it in a ziploc will keep it dry on the beach, by the pool, etc. I love that hint!

Still cant find the anti-seasickness bracelets anywhere!!!!:mad:

Tried travel shops, drugstores and alternative/complimentary medicine places.

Cant find a bottle of ginger tablets smaller than 100 (!), but I'll have to give in and buy that size, though all need is what, 21? The dosage on the bottle is 3 a day.

Here is one thing that I do before a cruise.. First of all we always drive to the port so I can leave things in the car. I always pack a "hotel bag" this has alot of my travel size items in it. For example I buy two tooth brushes one for cruise and one for hotels on the way to port. Same with many other things. This way I don't have to carry all my luggage into the hotel. This worked great the last cruise we drove with another couple who has not been out of our state so we did alot of site seeing on the way and stayed a couple nights here or there. The less you take on the ship gives you more room for the goodies you buy to bring home safely.

Most of the stuff you think you are going to need you really wont even use I promise. But the first aide kit listed above is a great idea. Going to the doctor on the ship for a band-aide will cost you. Also the power strip is great if you have alot to plug in.

Still cant find the anti-seasickness bracelets anywhere!!!!:mad:

Tried travel shops, drugstores and alternative/complimentary medicine places.

Cant find a bottle of ginger tablets smaller than 100 (!), but I'll have to give in and buy that size, though all need is what, 21? The dosage on the bottle is 3 a day.

Here is a link for the travel bands (not saying they work - gave mine away since they didn't seem to do anything for me). http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=CcvNBkFOFTfLNIoWmsAOVv4X4D4vRgHTHvcK5Dqm2uL4KCAAQASC2VFDd6Jex-v____8BYMmOxo30pNAZyAEBqgQZT9CazupTuyTH_HftDDEguDmMb3mPzNXAf4AFkE4&sig=AGiWqtyEhQ_ZmzfPjAzXzDlb6LiaaHgV-A&ved=0CA8Q0Qw&adurl=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RH1RV2/%3Ftag%3Dgooghydr-20%26hvadid%3D3789075891%26ref%3Dpd_sl_31083kihq5_e&rct=j&q=travel%20bands&cad=rja

Good to try out the ginger before you get on board, to see if you have any problems with taking it. Some people get heartburn, so good to know if you will need to take tums along with them.

Edited by tink360

Here is a link for the travel bands (not saying they work - gave mine away since they didn't seem to do anything for me). http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=CcvNBkFOFTfLNIoWmsAOVv4X4D4vRgHTHvcK5Dqm2uL4KCAAQASC2VFDd6Jex-v____8BYMmOxo30pNAZyAEBqgQZT9CazupTuyTH_HftDDEguDmMb3mPzNXAf4AFkE4&sig=AGiWqtyEhQ_ZmzfPjAzXzDlb6LiaaHgV-A&ved=0CA8Q0Qw&adurl=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RH1RV2/%3Ftag%3Dgooghydr-20%26hvadid%3D3789075891%26ref%3Dpd_sl_31083kihq5_e&rct=j&q=travel%20bands&cad=rja

Good to try out the ginger before you get on board, to see if you have any problems with taking it. Some people get heartburn, so good to know if you will need to take tums along with them.

Someone is sending me the bands, so that is under control.

I don't think I will have a problem with ginger, I cook with it all the time and nosh candied ginger, but I will try the capsules/pills out before, just in case.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm planning to take some ziploc type bags in different sizes - I always find a use for them on other vacations and I guess cruises won't be different. Also, if you have a Kindle, I've read that putting it in a ziploc will keep it dry on the beach, by the pool, etc. I love that hint!

Oh thanks for the Kindle suggestion!! I always pack ziplock bags. Works great for storing dirty undies (phew!), grabbing an extra bite from the buffet for the day trips (not that I would do that!), seperating clothes in suitcases for a quick grab, etc.

I bought a luggage scale to take with me. Makes me so nervous, trying to decide if my bags are too heavy.

Can't wait to cruise the Baltic!

Here is one thing that I do before a cruise.. First of all we always drive to the port so I can leave things in the car. I always pack a "hotel bag" this has alot of my travel size items in it. For example I buy two tooth brushes one for cruise and one for hotels on the way to port. Same with many other things. This way I don't have to carry all my luggage into the hotel. This worked great the last cruise we drove with another couple who has not been out of our state so we did alot of site seeing on the way and stayed a couple nights here or there. The less you take on the ship gives you more room for the goodies you buy to bring home safely.

Most of the stuff you think you are going to need you really wont even use I promise. But the first aide kit listed above is a great idea. Going to the doctor on the ship for a band-aide will cost you. Also the power strip is great if you have alot to plug in.

And I am not packing a Hotel bag and 2 sets of toiletries. Thank you very much :)

Personally the bands don't work for us as we feel they are uncomfortable. JMO

I always have a drawer set aside for potential cruise items as:

lanyard (for cruise card)

extra AA batteries

extra camera memory card

over the door holder

extra plastic hooks that go over the door (dollar store item)

copies of my credit cards, passport pages,etc.

Chinese fan

sewing kit

bandaids and other OTC meds (Tylenol etc.)

quart size baggies

When I am ready to cruise, I just retrieve these items.

I cannot have aspartane so diet soda is out. I would love to be able to take my own soda ( with splenda). How do I do that? I hope not to put it in my luggage as I am trying to pack light and not take more than 1 suitcase for a 7 day cruise. Thanks in advance!! :D

Can you check to see if the cruise line you are traveling with has the sort of diet pop you want? If they have it available, just getting it on the ship would spare you the task of bringing it on yourself.

I brought a case of water on to my HAL cruise in a rolling cooler. I sent it on through the porters, didn't roll it on board myself. Different cruise lines have different rules on how much you can bring on board & how.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add it took us 4 days to get to the port I am sorry I did not say that earlier. So for me to pack for 4 extra days in my luggage for the cruise would have been a lot. It was alot easier on my husband's back to grab just one bag for the hotel. I realize it might have sounded like a lot of extra spending and time. I should have stated how long we drove to get to our ports...

Wal-Mart currently has the below items for $2.97 next to the check-out aisles... the one I grabbed was just below the chapstick and to the left of the gift cards! I love that the power extension also has a night light built-in!!!

plugextension.jpg

Wal-Mart currently has the below items for $2.97 next to the check-out aisles... the one I grabbed was just below the chapstick and to the left of the gift cards! I love that the power extension also has a night light built-in!!!

plugextension.jpg

sweet! Stopping by to return something today, I'll look for it. :)