Starting a cruise basket

I don't think I saw this so will add. In advance, print out a list of family member's (who aren't on the cruise) phone number's and email addresses and home addresses. That info and your own plus your trip ID number. Put the copy/copies in you suitcase as the last thing right before you close it. I do this well in advance so I don't forget.

We bring a night light to put in the bathroom. The room is WAY too dark to stumble around in the dark when nature calls in the middle of the night. And if you leave the bathroom light on, it's too bright. So we plug a night light in to the outlet for electric razors and keep it on at night. It puts out just enough light for us to do our business.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought new pillow cases recently and they came in very nice heavy plastic zippered bags/cubes. I almost tossed them out but found they make excellent packing cubes. One holds all the phone/camera charging cords, batteries, adapters etc. The other is filled with other small stray necessities like post it notes, travel sized toilet seat covers, eyeglass repair kit. You know, all that little stuff.

I do this as well. I keep the zipper bags that my sheet sets come in as well as the cloth bags that they are packaged in as well. They come in handy when packing. When I get a bag like that I just throw it into the suit case that way it is not hard to find when packing time comes.:D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been picking up travel luggage at local thrift stores. These are better than what we had used in the past. Found two, already had one, looking for another carry-on size.

As we find things for our April cruise, they get tossed into the carry-on, which sits inside the larger one.

Always great ideas! I have a cruise basket that I constantly add to. I never take a pop up hamper use a garbage bag instead! And never needed a over the door storage thing but we only have two in the cabin.

I take a few garbage bags--particularly the flex ones with Fabreeze. Each person or suitcase has a garbage bag/laundry bag so don't have to worry about weight for suitcase. Used to send through as baggage in duffle bag but with bag fees not now[emoji12]

• 2 months later...
We bring a night light to put in the bathroom. The room is WAY too dark to stumble around in the dark when nature calls in the middle of the night. And if you leave the bathroom light on, it's too bright. So we plug a night light in to the outlet for electric razors and keep it on at night. It puts out just enough light for us to do our business.

Hi, thought I was the only one who took a night light along!!:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I like to bring a battery operated tea light - can get three or four for a buck at dollar tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I pack stuff I don't mind wrinkling, like socks and underwear in 2 gallon zip locks and then squeeze all the air out of them.  Saves a little room.  And pack a could extras for wet items needing packed at the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 days and counting...I have an open suitcase which I'm collecting stuff in. So far:-

* magnetic hooks x 2 

* sea bands

* 2 highlighter pens

* night light 

* power/usb strip

* air freshener 

* First aid & OTC meds 

* ginger biscuits 

Also trying to limit shoes sketchers flip flops sparkly sandals and poss one pair day sandals.......

Edited by 2BACRUISER

On 4/3/2019 at 1:01 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

Also trying to limit shoes sketchers flip flops sparkly sandals and poss one pair day sandals.......

Don't know if you are cruising close to home, or across the pond.  Maybe things are different in Europe.  But if you are going to be sightseeing in the caribbean or Mexico, be sure to bring some good closed toe shoes.   I've walked along sidewalks in Mexico that had raw sewage flowing in the gutters.  Sadly even the streets & sidewalks in my home town of Seattle have sanitary issues.  On board the ship I wouldn't hesitate to wear sandals or flip flops but not in the ports.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We like having a fan blow on us while we are sleeping, but the cruise lines don't allow large fans. We bought a small desk fan at Lowes that can be powered by a USB port or regular 110 volt outlet. I got a portable cell phone battery charger as a company gift a few years ago, and it'll power the fan all night long. I just have to remember to plug it in to charge when we wake up and start our day.

The fan has a clip so it can be attached almost anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 4/3/2019 at 3:01 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

42 days and counting...I have an open suitcase which I'm collecting stuff in. So far:-

* magnetic hooks x 2 

* sea bands

* 2 highlighter pens

* night light 

* power/usb strip

* air freshener 

* First aid & OTC meds 

* ginger biscuits 

As for the power strip,I think I read somewhere on Carnival's website that they dont allow powerstrips but you can bring a plug-in expander that turns 1 plug-in into 3...

On 4/3/2019 at 9:01 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

* magnetic hooks x 2 

* sea bands

* 2 highlighter pens

* night light 

* power/usb strip

* air freshener 

* First aid & OTC meds 

* ginger biscuits 

Just an update have done my cruise now and loved loved loved it.

Didnt use hooks, highlighter, night light, or sea bands.  But wish i had took an umbrella, an extra pair of long pants and a decent sized hand towel for my hair. (we had rain and the hand towels were mini size) Also sketchers are NOT waterproof. HTH

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Just an update have done my cruise now and loved loved loved it.

Didnt use hooks, highlighter, night light, or sea bands.  But wish i had took an umbrella, an extra pair of long pants and a decent sized hand towel for my hair. (we had rain and the hand towels were mini size) Also sketchers are NOT waterproof. HTH

I never use my nightlights (although it is sometimes that I don’t bother to, it likely would be useful!) and now take less hooks with us (they seem to work best to hold light jackets, caps, and lariats on the back of cabin doors).

* Umbrella substitute - I am sure lots of people are aware of this, but they  make cheap rain ponchos that you can buy everywhere from a large CVS to Walmart / Target (mostly during the summer).  There are some super cheap ones that are clear in the camping section at WalMart, but I think the colorful ones that run around $4.00 cover better and should have multiple uses. Check first in camping, sports areas then summer specific goods. These are super packable. 😊

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have never used blister bandaids before but have some to take on this trip just in case and they will be added to my bag, I have two bags now sitting there filling up but am then again less then four weeks out, FINALLY!