Starting a cruise basket

What a wonderful thread! I'm a first timer, too, and am trying to make some kind of packing list. I want to travel as light as possible, 1/2 filling my suitcase to have room for purchases!

May I ask how many pairs of shoes you all are taking? I figure on only three pairs myself (dressy, daily, excercise) + some kind of flip flop, but a little more sturdy than the average - got orthopedic issues - for shower/pool.

Seems this thread is turning into a packing list thread. I also pack the following:

2 tervis tumblers with lids

2 large coffee travel mugs

baby powder, it works great on getting sticky sand off of your feet before putting them back in your shoes. The sand just falls right off!

I like to take the magnet backed clips that you can get from the office store. We attach our daily newsletter to the walls, which are metal. Keep a different colored highlighter for each person clipped on so that each person can hi-lite the things that are of interest to them. This is also a handy place to put a notepad to let your roommate know where you went, make lists, jot down reminders, etc.

I like to take a pop-up small hamper for dirty clothes.. don't want them lingering on the floor or in my suitcase. The hampers take up very little room in the suitcase and are great for taking to do laundry in self service laundromat.

What a wonderful thread! I'm a first timer, too, and am trying to make some kind of packing list. I want to travel as light as possible, 1/2 filling my suitcase to have room for purchases!

May I ask how many pairs of shoes you all are taking? I figure on only three pairs myself (dressy, daily, excercise) + some kind of flip flop, but a little more sturdy than the average - got orthopedic issues - for shower/pool.

You might be able to combine the exercise and pool shoe or daily and exercise shoe. If you're not going to the gym for a full on run, Keen sandals or water sneakers might be a decent combo if not overly "city fashion forward". I don't go to the gym while I'm on vacation so pack a nice walking sandal, for plentiful 'round-the-ship walking.

If sacrifices can be made, you can also have a combo daily and dressy shoe with a pair of flats, chunky heel, wedge, or mary jane styles.

The top three suspects for weight and size "suckers" in my luggage usually are:

1. Toiletries

2. Electronics like cameras and their accompanying chargers

3. Shoes. Not that I don't wear them at some point, but I could fit a lot of stuff in the space that shoes normally take up.

Shoes are always a problem for me. Those orthopedic issues make my shoe choice limited, and the extra work on the shoes make them really clunky. Even my formal shoes are like that.

Flip-flops for me are only by the pool and in the shower. Can't walk more than a few steps in them.

I was thinking of bringing one of those plug in mosquito repellers for the cabin.

Is there a need for such a thing, or is there no way one of those little pests can get into my room? Does the window open at all?

Sorry, I am so green about all things cruise!

I was thinking of bringing one of those plug in mosquito repellers for the cabin.

Is there a need for such a thing, or is there no way one of those little pests can get into my room? Does the window open at all?

Sorry, I am so green about all things cruise!

Not sure what a plug in mosquito repeller is, but I have never noticed flying insects inside a cruise ship. The windows don't open, only the cabins with balconies can open for fresh air.

Not sure what a plug in mosquito repeller is, but I have never noticed flying insects inside a cruise ship. The windows don't open, only the cabins with balconies can open for fresh air.

Little thingie that looks like a plug in nightlight, but with a place for a chemical tablet the repells the little buggers.

Thanks! One thing less to pack:)

I keep a beach tote bag in my closet, and sale-priced vacation items go in it. Might be for a cruise, might end up going on a different vacation. I never buy anything ahead that isn't on sale -- no point.

Things I collect for vacations:

Small toiletries -- seems we get these free pretty often

Sunscreen -- I love the True Blue line from Bath and Bodyworks

Disposable waterproof cameras

Don't overpack though. You really don't need much on a cruise.

i'm trying to keep it at a bare minimum.. so far: elec strip, night light, binoculars, hand sanitizer, and various meds esp. tums and advil!

old pillowcase for hamper,maybe a small 8"x8" cooler for a sandwich,& an insulated coffee mug, herbal tea..

hopefully that's it! don't even get me started on the shoes!! sneakers, high heels, low heels,, sandals.. oh Lord!!:)

i'm trying to keep it at a bare minimum.. so far: elec strip, night light, binoculars, hand sanitizer, and various meds esp. tums and advil!

old pillowcase for hamper,maybe a small 8"x8" cooler for a sandwich,& an insulated coffee mug, herbal tea..

hopefully that's it! don't even get me started on the shoes!! sneakers, high heels, low heels,, sandals.. oh Lord!!:)

There might be a little fridge in your cabin, so you may not need a cooler if you are trying to pack light.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a cruise basket but I do have a holiday drawer & a holiday wardrobe in the guest bedroom. The wardrobe contains all our holiday clothes/shoes and the drawer contains stuff like toiletries, medicines, sunscreen, travel adapters, towels etc. So if we see a last-minute good deal on a cruise or other holiday, everything is to hand & I don't have to rush around buying or gathering stuff together. Once we get home, I replace anything that was used up & we're ready for the next one

I have a cruise container with those items I use only for cruises/vacations. It has a copy of this:

http://www.reocities.com/calgon1/Ultimate_Packing_List.html

If the link does not work, google "calgon's packing list". It is the most over the top list you will ever see - not only on what to pack but how to pack. I never take that much anymore, but it was nice to have the list to at least consider.

If I have room, I like to take my luggage scale so I can check bags and do not end up trying to shift the load on the airport floor.

For beach days, I have a waterproof wallet (water tight plastic box on a string) that holds our critical documents safely while I swim.

And it may be listed, but I have a cord with permanently attached clothes pins for extra swim suit hanging in the shower or (gasp) on the balcony when we are in the room.

Finally, I try to make notes of what worked and didn't work on each crusie (3 now for me) as far as clothes and stuff I took. That stays with the cruise basket so I can find it and avoid the same mistakes. I have cut down a lot since the first cruise - but then, I made and took 3 togas on the trip.

Edited by badtwin

This is why I love CC- tons of good info and tips! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I myself try to keep my 'go get' list as simple as possible and get the items through-out the year (that is if your an early booker). The vacation savings accounts are a great idea too. We drank a big bottle of wine with dinner when we announced our trip at Mom and Dad's. We've since cleaned and dried it out and now stuff a $20 in it weekly.:D

I have a cruise container with those items I use only for cruises/vacations. It has a copy of this:

http://www.reocities.com/calgon1/Ultimate_Packing_List.html

If the link does not work, google "calgon's packing list". It is the most over the top list you will ever see - not only on what to pack but how to pack. I never take that much anymore, but it was nice to have the list to at least consider.

If I have room, I like to take my luggage scale so I can check bags and do not end up trying to shift the load on the airport floor.

For beach days, I have a waterproof wallet (water tight plastic box on a string) that holds our critical documents safely while I swim.

And it may be listed, but I have a cord with permanently attached clothes pins for extra swim suit hanging in the shower or (gasp) on the balcony when we are in the room.

Finally, I try to make notes of what worked and didn't work on each crusie (3 now for me) as far as clothes and stuff I took. That stays with the cruise basket so I can find it and avoid the same mistakes. I have cut down a lot since the first cruise - but then, I made and took 3 togas on the trip.

Terrific site, I'll copy it later. Thanks!

LMAO!!!! My husband laughs at my "cruise bag". I pick little nick nacks up that I'll need too. I have my hot/cold bag (looks like a huge aluminum disposbale bag) so I can get the steward to fill it with ice to use for my cooler, fully closable water bottles, small collapsible cooler (can hold like 3 cans) for the deck, over the door shoe rack, digital watch (I want to leave my phone in the safe if I can), lanyard for room keys, small fleece blanket (I plan on sitting on the deck late at night with a glass of wine/cup of coffee with the hubs)- all from dollar tree! So yup $1 each!

I got some great shades (mines doesn't have to be designer since I lose them all the time LOL) for $5 each. I bought some bathing suits (2) on a pre-season sale (this is my summertime vice- I can't swim, so I have to look good lounging lol).

I love my "cruise bag"- it sounds like a lot but everything is really tiny, even the blanket is small, so it won't take up much room.

I was a regular feature at the local dollar stores, and never could find an over door shoe organizer. I finally gave up and bought one from Fred Meyer. It wasn't that cheap, but was able to get a clear one that was fairly good quality.

The sales clerks said sometimes they have them, but it wasn't something that was kept in stock consistently.

Thank you tink360 for the info. I keep reading about this o/t/door organizer and how easy it is to find in dollar stores and several years later, I have yet to see one. In Canada they don't seem to stock them (well, I haven't checked every $$ store in Canada,ha, ha)

Just thought it was me...:rolleyes:

I've seen them at Walmart, bed bath & beyond, lots of places - even big lots. But not always clear, that's the problem.

I got my first one online, it was more of a general organizer with different sized pockets. But I liked that one so much I am using it at home now, so I had to get a different one to bring on cruises.