Review - Jewel of the Seas 11 day Panama - NOT GREAT!

While I was not over impressed by the food but it was generally nice. On the positive side, unlike other cruises on other cruise lines (this was my first RCI), I did not over-eat and did not put on too much weight on this cruise unlike previous cruises.

We got a photo-package and came home with 60 photos. I have met friendlier photographers on other cruises who are better at relaxing adults prior to the photo-shoot but there is one photographer who is particularly good with kids. The skill of a good photographer is not the snapping the camera but getting people to relax for the camera.

We got chocolates on both our pillows every night even though the never ate the ones from the previous night. We were in a GS so maybe that makes a difference. We came home with a stack of small square chocolate squares.

We did the same cruise December 13. You can read my review in the reviews section.

All our food was served at the correct temperature. We had excellent service in the MDR. There was always a vegetarian selection that wasn't Indian, Italian, Mexican, etc.

We changed the clock four times (EST to AST to EST to CST to EST), always during the night.

Can't say that I have noticed any uptick in complaints since Oasis and Allure began sailing. Most of the complaints are similar both in quantity and substance to what we were reading in the months and years prior to the introduction of those two ships. Perhaps you have just become more sensitive to the complaints and have linked them to the introduction of the new ships.

I agree with your statements about the cost of drinks but again, this is a theme that has been the topic of discussion almost since we began cruising in the eighties. Drink prices at land-based bars and restaurants vary widely across the country with prices in some locations being considerably less than the cruiselines charge, while being considerably higher in others.:)

My comment wasn't based on my observation of these boards, but based on the number of clients I have had return from a cruise on Royal Caribbean in the last 12 months that had service complaints. My own cruises on RCI this year (4) have been wonderful with no issues to really complain about, but I am very easy going.

On a positive note- I receive the least amount of complaints on RCI vs "other" mainstream cruse lines.

Why compare the cost of the photo to that of a studio?????Most of these pictures on the ship are not studio quality either.

You know...you're right. The ships photographers are terrible. We have avoided them the last few cruises.

I've heard a few families comment on them while looking at their photos....we could never afford do have this at taken like this at home.

As for our experience with this group of cruise ship photographers on the Jewel for our 12/13-24 cruise, this cruise photo staff was THE BEST we have had on any cruise (this was our 6th total, 2nd RCI). We had such a hard time on deciding on picturers at $20/ea, we purchased the "All Pics Taken" package for $350 total. Miguel and his co-photographers took too many GREAT pictures for us to just pick a few. And this is an opinion from a 'professional non-professional photographer." :D

Gosh, this sounds like you had a rotten time, but I need to offer my own experience as a corrective for those who might want to consider this ship and itinerary. I sailed the same cruise over Thanksgiving (incidentally this was my 3rd time on this ship and this Panama sailing, so you can see I've liked it :)). The Radiance class is one of my favorite, but like all ships you need to carefully select your cabin to avoid obstruction of views and noise from above or below. I thought the food (MDR for lunch and dinner was good--not elegant, but very good, considering they are preparing for 2400 people). Chops was of course elegant. If you want a quiet ship for conversation and reading, book Holland where the atmosphere, I'm told, is more sedate. I use my balcony for reading. Personally, I've loved the Rosario Strings. The music does filter up the centrum, but thank goodness RCI has gotten rid of those art auctions which would blow you off the ship with their volume. We didn't do the shows but heard good reviews from other passengers. We bought the water package--quiet reasonable, I thought. The bottles are 1 liter so $3.95 isn't too bad. We had quiet good excursions--the rainforest in Costa Rica was super, also the ferry in Panama, and old city walking tour in Cartagena--despite rain. A cruise is what you make of it. I think the cruise line and the staff do a good job. That's why I keep returning.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. We sailed this itinerary last February and had a fantastic time. While I have had better food in retaurants at home, the food, I thought, was still quite good. Our service in MDR was great, our cabin attendant was excellent. We thought the cruise director, Chris, was great. The fact that we had Noro on this sailing was the only downer of the whole cruise. Just goes to show that everyone has a different cruise experience.:rolleyes:

My comment wasn't based on my observation of these boards, but based on the number of clients I have had return from a cruise on Royal Caribbean in the last 12 months that had service complaints. My own cruises on RCI this year (4) have been wonderful with no issues to really complain about, but I am very easy going.

On a positive note- I receive the least amount of complaints on RCI vs "other" mainstream cruse lines.

While you may be easy going, I would still expect that during your wonderful cruises, you would have noticed things that would cause you to think that "my less easy-going clients" would complain about this. Has that been the case? And if you receive the least amount of complaints on RCI vs other mainstream lines, doesn't that, to some extent at least, fly in the face of your linking the complaints to the introduction of Oasis and Allure?

While you may be easy going, I would still expect that during your wonderful cruises, you would have noticed things that would cause you to think that "my less easy-going clients" would complain about this. Has that been the case? And if you receive the least amount of complaints on RCI vs other mainstream lines, doesn't that, to some extent at least, fly in the face of your linking the complaints to the introduction of Oasis and Allure?

Of course I am noticed things that weren't perfect- dining on the Majesty was a disaster over Christmas weekend, but I honestly didn't care. We were a group of 12 and both our waiter & asst were new. They told us flat out!

We go on the Jewel in February and are really looking forward to it - we've done the Jewel before and sure are looking forward to this trip

We've only done Royal and Celebrity and from time to time there are minor things that effect us - but not enough to worry about - The two complaints we had were that our Liberty cruise lately was full of "older people" and we are 70 ish who played Bridge (a huge tournament) and it was aweful from start to finish - along with the fact that we drove to Miami and getting on and off the ship was a nightmare - second one was the Brilliance in Europe - and so glad you didn't go on that one or your review would have been twice as long with complaints. We so enjoyed the cruise anyway, seeing all the history that is there, so that overcame any complaining we could do

You are right about the food though, we've seen a huge drop in the quality and warmth - but we still have the best staff in the dining room and our room stewards are very good - I do the double ice every day and have a little thermo cooler I bring along and it was filled as well as our ice bucket twice a day - so guess it just depends on the steward. When they introduce ourselves the first day and have a great chat with them - and hubby always says, if your really really good, you will be rewarded at the end of the trip. And that usually does it - lol

We are going as a family and friends trip and looking forward to spending time with our son, daughter and law and great friends from our home town.

But I will report back in when we get back and compare notes - thanks for the review:)

Your review actually didn't seem too negative. I appreciate you discussing the good as well as the bad, which gives your overall review more credibility than those that discuss their cruise experience and only share the negative.

Some of the items are true across the lines these days (my parents cruise all of the lines) - and they have discussed increased photo costs (they used to purchase packages and now are selective in what they buy, we don't buy pictures anymore though we'll pose for one formal night and look to see if any turned out), no chocolates on bed, cost of water/soda/alcohol, etc.

On the food, we experienced our food being cold / undercooked on FOS, and I was embarrased for having convinced my best guy friend to come on the cruise. He was on the bubble on cruising and based on the dining experience, he will likely never cruise again. I think I compared the food on the comment card to Waffle House as it was also quite bland / unflavored. If this happens to us again in the future, my wife and I have discussed that we will request to move to another part of the dining room as our belief is that the food temperature is somewhat dependent on the waiter. Other reviews from our same cruise were positive regarding the food.

I also would have been disappointed with the room view...at least you now know for the future.

I can say that my parents took your cruise itinerary on a different line and had a worse time than what appears in your review. On their trip, the last stop was in Mexico, and they had to bribe the airport workers to allow them to get on their flight back home. From this experience and the overall experiences on-board, they won't repeat that itinerary again. I only mention this, as I'd say to give RCL another chance with a different itinerary. My wife and I did on VOS, and the food was amazing! On LOS the food was again quite good...I'm glad we gave RCL another chance.

I was on this cruise also . I have to agree with ivansbride1955 an everything . I personally wont go back on the Jewell or maybe RCL for many of the thing said. I was on the Jewel transatlantic and I cant belive the diference in the food in just 6 months . I ate the 1st 2 nights in 1st seating at a table for 8 and we had terable service . The food was served cold and the quality and selection of food was really poor. I switched to eating in CHOPS every night the rest of cruise. One of the big things I go on a cruise for is the Food.Ive been to these ports many times so if I dont get off its no big deal. Im on the ship to get away from work, to relax and eat food I dont get at home . This was my 54th cruise and 4th in the last year. I noticed a big diference in the overall cruise. RCL is really cost cutting acrost the board . I think the meat they bought must be the lowest quality that pased inspection . The Prime Rib had so much Tenderiser added it tasted bad . I took 2 bits and that was enough. Im diamond on RCL but after this cruise I think im going to go back to staying on Celebrity. I did 2 cruises on them last year and both were way above RCL. To me its worth the diference in price to get a little more quality. BUT thats why RCL offers Celebrity and for some people that dont care about food that much RCL will be fine but not for me. ID rate this cruise a MOTEL 6 instead of a Baymont. RCL has done way too much budget cuts . CARL

Why compare the cost of the photo to that of a studio?????:confused::confused::confused: Most of these pictures on the ship are not studio quality either.:rolleyes:

On my cruises, they were using top of the line Nikon cameras and lenses with pro lighting and back drops. $20 for an 8 by 10 is more than reasonable. My DW is a professional photographer.

You know...you're right. The ships photographers are terrible. We have avoided them the last few cruises.

I've heard a few families comment on them while looking at their photos....we could never afford do have this at taken like this at home.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I found the photographers to be quite good at posing their subjects and passionate about their work. Also the set-ups they were using cost a small fortune (you can even leave the word "small" out).

I would agree with everything the op has posted. We were on the same cruise.Staff was great,ship was very clean,buffet was as good as a buffet can be,but the mdr food was a let down.We had the my time dine and the service was great but no WOW factor on the meals. The meals were just ok. We did have a great time,met some great people and had a great time at all the ports...

Just remember a day on board the ship is better than a day at work...

Let me clarify why I thought the photographers are terrible.

The last time we used them, DH and I were not even centered in the picture and instead of adjusting our pose, he just snapped it and caught us off guard with terrible expressions!

Then we had a group of 7 taken, he got the tripod legs in the picture, someones foot that was standing off to the side of the tripod.

Now with that said, I have seen many beautiful pictures of couples and families. Those are great especially for those who can not afford a professional studio or on location shoot.

Will I use them in the future? Most likely yes. :)

Just my 2 cents on ships photographers.

I would agree with everything the op has posted. We were on the same cruise.Staff was great,ship was very clean,buffet was as good as a buffet can be,but the mdr food was a let down.We had the my time dine and the service was great but no WOW factor on the meals. The meals were just ok. We did have a great time,met some great people and had a great time at all the ports...

Just remember a day on board the ship is better than a day at work...

We were on the same cruise but had a great experience in the dining room.

Food was served promptly at the right temps and the service was perfect.

I do agree that the staff and ship were great! Staff members always greeted us and the ship was in very good condition. We consider our cruise on the Jewel to be one of our best trips...other than the rockin and rollin with high winds and seas. Can't do anything about that!

Following are my comments on the Jewel of the Seas 11-day Ultimate Panama Canal Cruise, from which I just returned on 1/14/2011. It will be rather lengthy.

Hubby ordered hamburgers from room service on three different occasions. The first time the burger was great; the second and third times, he got a ball of mystery meat (perhaps veggie burger) on a bun.

beware of that funny hamburger. radiance has a hamburger on the MDR lunch menu which is mystery meat, totally gross, I have no idea what it was, nor care to ever have another.

we found the only real one was at the seaview cafe.

I think you can request one from there from room service.

ERKY FROM TURKEYErky, the activities manager is a hoot and should have his own show! He did the "Who Wants to be a Royal Caribbeanaire" game show and it was one of the funniest things we have ever seen on a cruise. The Activities staff were very nice and fun, but again, typical cruise activities; bellyflop contest, bingo, line dancing by the pool, karaoke, music trivia, etc.

I remember Erky. Not sure which cruise, it was either the Mariner in 2008 or the Serenade in 2007, but he was the activities director. Very funny guy.

Archived