Elation Propulsion + 72$

rcrx

I took friends who were first time cruisers who will not cruise again because of all this. Carnival mislead us on several occasions throughout the cruise. The $50 obc was an insult. I will be contacting carnival tomorrow and have already typed my letter to the CEO. If anyone would like the address here it is. I understand ports can be missed due to weather and such but this was the ships problem and not an act of god. I am very unhappy bout it all

Gerry Cahill, President and CEO

Carnival Corporation

3655 N.W. 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2428

I took friends who were first time cruisers who will not cruise again because of all this. Carnival mislead us on several occasions throughout the cruise. The $50 obc was an insult. I will be contacting carnival tomorrow and have already typed my letter to the CEO. If anyone would like the address here it is. I understand ports can be missed due to weather and such but this was the ships problem and not an act of god. I am very unhappy bout it all

Gerry Cahill, President and CEO

Carnival Corporation

3655 N.W. 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2428

Thanks that is helpful. I may write a letter. I think my boss is also writing to our Carnival rep to tell them about the cruise and how awful it was for one of their travel agents to have this experience for a first cruise.

OK, I have not seen this question asked, and I am sure I am not the only one wondering so here goes....to the OP and others, IF Carnival had been forthcoming the very second they knew there was a problem and told you that you were dead in the water, would miss Calica, etc., would it have made one iota of difference???? You would have STILL been dead in the water and missed Calica. I guess I just don't understand what difference it made if you knew sooner rather than later, the outcome would have been the same. Can you explain?

Yes..honesty goes along way. Had I known no Calica I would have changed what I did in Cozumel. They knew damn good and well when we ported at 230 pm in Cozumel we were not going to Calica..so they wait until the majority of us are in port to tell us. Oh well I guess the Mexican economy didnt recieve much of a boost from me. Not one item purchased in Cozumel..but plenty of bingo and DOD's on ship. I think my point along with most others who were there was the total lack of honesty. Dont wait until we are a hour and a half late to tell us we are going to be late..then wait almost another 2 hours to tell us when we are getting there.

Host Mach is simply trying to explain that individuals should indeed know what all cruise lines (not just Carnival) are (and are not) required to provide on a cruise.

Don't shoot the messenger. But the fact is that ports are not guaranteed by any mass market cruise line. (they never have been)

Trying to put this into perspective:

With airlines, the contract you make with them says that they will get you from Point A to Point B.

The "expectation" is that your trip will happen in the TIME FRAME that your ticket states.

With cruise lines, the contract you make with them says that they will house you, feed you and entertain you.

The "expectation" is that your trip will also include various ports.

Just like airlines (due to mechanical failure) can take as LONG as they want to get you from Point A to Point B without compensation....because the time frame is an EXPECTATION...NOT in the contract.

Cruise lines are not required to compensate passengers due to missed ports....because it is an EXPECTATION...not required in the contract.

And yes, new cruisers should know this BEFORE they book a cruise.

Some of the fault lies with Travel Agents and PVPs who are more interested in selling the product than probably educating their consumer. But some of the fault lies with the consumer for not properly educating themselves.

I should note - Carnival also refunded all excursions that were unable to be done due to the change the mechanical problems brought about, as long as those excursions were booked with Carnival. Those who booked outside of the cruise line were SOL. Something to consider when booking excursions.

Ours was booked outside of Carnival and luckily they refunded. They had money back in my account by the time I got home..seems they did better than Carnival!

Interesting and Entertaining thread. So sorry for the less than ideal cruise. Here is my 2 cents, which I'm well aware no one cares about.....

To those who will never cruise again because of this or a similar experience. Ok...your loss. Most cruises go off without a hitch. Cruising may not be for you. A bad day on a cruise IS better than a regular day for us....rain or shine....port or sea....steak or spam.

To the first timers, Try again as most cruises go off without a hitch. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Cruising is Awesome!

To those who think Carnival owes you something. They don't really and I think 70+ pp is generous although still disappointing. You might get more with a letter or call now.

To those who think a rainy, cloudy cruise to no where is dreadful. Ok...I just happen to disagree. I would rather have sun and ports, and I would be disappointed with clouds and no ports, but a cruise is a cruise for us and we'd just make the best of it and enjoy. I know us and that is what we'd do. Complaining on board just ruins the rest of your vacation. Write letters and call when you get home and you may get lucky with a future discount.....Oh yes, that won't do you any good as you will never cruise Carnival again. I would book one tomorrow.

Mach...Cruising and Flying have nothing to do with each other and I do think the airlines put out a lot of money trying to help their customers when weather, which is beyond their control, messes up the schedule. Yes they do. I also agree with the comments from others that they are not afforded the ability to have propulsion problems. Also, please respond to DON about the contract issue.

Hope you folks' future cruises are Happy Ones.

Host Mach is simply trying to explain that individuals should indeed know what all cruise lines (not just Carnival) are (and are not) required to provide on a cruise.

Don't shoot the messenger. But the fact is that ports are not guaranteed by any mass market cruise line. (they never have been)

Trying to put this into perspective:

With airlines, the contract you make with them says that they will get you from Point A to Point B.

The "expectation" is that your trip will happen in the TIME FRAME that your ticket states.

With cruise lines, the contract you make with them says that they will house you, feed you and entertain you.

The "expectation" is that your trip will also include various ports.

Just like airlines (due to mechanical failure) can take as LONG as they want to get you from Point A to Point B without compensation....because the time frame is an EXPECTATION...NOT in the contract.

Cruise lines are not required to compensate passengers due to missed ports....because it is an EXPECTATION...not required in the contract.

And yes, new cruisers should know this BEFORE they book a cruise.

Some of the fault lies with Travel Agents and PVPs who are more interested in selling the product than probably educating their consumer. But some of the fault lies with the consumer for not properly educating themselves.

Yes but they did an awful job of the entertain, food and house thing not to mention communicate. Thats my beef. The company I work for has two companies one is a travel agency. After the service I received I am not feeling very good about recommending Carnival. I am okay with missing the port and the compensation we received but not happy about the fact I could have changed my plans in Cozumel had they communicated better and the fact that entertainment on the ship was BORING they had nothing exciting and only wanted you to spend money on board.

Yes..honesty goes along way. Had I known no Calica I would have changed what I did in Cozumel. They knew damn good and well when we ported at 230 pm in Cozumel we were not going to Calica..so they wait until the majority of us are in port to tell us. Oh well I guess the Mexican economy didnt recieve much of a boost from me. Not one item purchased in Cozumel..but plenty of bingo and DOD's on ship. I think my point along with most others who were there was the total lack of honesty. Dont wait until we are a hour and a half late to tell us we are going to be late..then wait almost another 2 hours to tell us when we are getting there.

Many repairs are made in port. Perhaps they hoped whatever had broken could be repaired while in port. They even fly parts etc (next day air) to ports when needed.

Just as with anything mechanical, the repairs may have been more extensive than first evaluated.

The fact that the ship could not be sufficiently repaired may not have been known until after they spent the day in Cozumel working on it.

Again, I will be the first to admit that communication is not Carnival's strong suit. But this was probably a case of "hoping more would get done" than did in Cozumel which rulied out Calica.

It could also have been a case of a part (flown in next day air) not being received in time ... or at all.

Glad you still made the best of disrupted schedules and crummy weather.

Personally, I think the weather is a HUGE factor. For years, we have watched ships that sail from New York get horrible ratings....only to have those same ships get stellar ratings when they sail from Florida.

I doubt it is the clientelle.....

Interesting and Entertaining thread. So sorry for the less than ideal cruise. Here is my 2 cents, which I'm well aware no one cares about.....

To those who will never cruise again because of this or a similar experience. Ok...your loss. Most cruises go off without a hitch. Cruising may not be for you. A bad day on a cruise IS better than a regular day for us....rain or shine....port or sea....steak or spam.

To the first timers, Try again as most cruises go off without a hitch. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Cruising is Awesome!

To those who think Carnival owes you something. They don't really and I think 70+ pp is generous although still disappointing. You might get more with a letter or call now.

To those who think a rainy, cloudy cruise to no where is dreadful. Ok...I just happen to disagree. I would rather have sun and ports, and I would be disappointed with clouds and no ports, but a cruise is a cruise for us and we'd just make the best of it and enjoy. I know us and that is what we'd do. Complaining on board just ruins the rest of your vacation. Write letters and call when you get home and you may get lucky with a future discount.....Oh yes, that won't do you any good as you will never cruise Carnival again. I would book one tomorrow.

Mach...Cruising and Flying have nothing to do with each other and I do think the airlines put out a lot of money trying to help their customers when weather, which is beyond their control, messes up the schedule. Yes they do. I also agree with the comments from others that they are not afforded the ability to have propulsion problems. Also, please respond to DON about the contract issue.

I have worked in customer service for over 15 yrs. The service is what upset me most. I will cruise again but not on Carnival.

Many repairs are made in port. Perhaps they hoped whatever had broken could be repaired while in port. They even fly parts etc (next day air) to ports when needed.

Just as with anything mechanical, the repairs may have been more extensive than first evaluated.

The fact that the ship could not be sufficiently repaired may not have been known until after they spent the day in Cozumel working on it.

Again, I will be the first to admit that communication is not Carnival's strong suit. But this was probably a case of "hoping more would get done" than did in Cozumel which rulied out Calica.

It could also have been a case of a part (flown in next day air) not being received in time ... or at all.

Glad you still made the best of disrupted schedules and crummy weather.

Personally, I think the weather is a HUGE factor. For years, we have watched ships that sail from New York get horrible ratings....only to have those same ships get stellar ratings when they sail from Florida.

I doubt it is the clientelle.....

The thing is they new almost right after the ship docked around 3:00 that we would not be going to Calica but those that got off did not know till later. I know this because the old couple that sat at our table did not get off and they heard the announcement shortly after we disembarked. So they knew. Like someone else said they just didnt want to deal with everyone at once and knew people would not be coming back until much later. When they would enter their rooms to find the note from corporate saying Calica canceled. I understand things happen but come on communication and service is key. You think they would have tried to make up for it the next day by having some fun activities, good food and good service but no it continued to decline.

Yes but they did an awful job of the entertain, food and house thing not to mention communicate. Thats my beef. The company I work for has two companies one is a travel agency. After the service I received I am not feeling very good about recommending Carnival. I am okay with missing the port and the compensation we received but not happy about the fact I could have changed my plans in Cozumel had they communicated better and the fact that entertainment on the ship was BORING they had nothing exciting and only wanted you to spend money on board.

Poor communication probably..

but I have to disagree with the entertainment, food and housing...since I just spent 9 days on that ship....I got off the ship the morning you got on.

I felt the daytime activities on the Fun Times was the lightest of the 4 other cruises we have done since October.....(IMHO) and if the weather was bad...then that ruled out basketball, putt putt and sunbathing and the pool (especially if the slide was closed).

While a light day activities schedule is Carnival's responsibility....the weather is not.

The solo promenade entertainer (Pat) has played for the Vatican. Music Degree ROCKED. Rodrigo in karaoke is a HOOT. Just Rock was an excellent show...although I did not care for Win. We experienced 4 different comedians (because we did a back and back) and 3 of the 4 were excellent.

The food and service were consistant with all the other ships we have sailed.

As for 'spending money on board" part, the 3rd largest revenue for a cruise ship are shore excursions. Calica is a real money maker for Carnival in shore excursions.

Believe me, Carnival did not want to miss Calica any more than you did.

Hubby flies almost every week...and airlines don't begin to do things for passengers that cruise lines do...even when it is mechanical and not weather related.

Last month, Delta cancelled hubby's flight.

Just an email (the night before)....your flight has been cancelled...we are putting you on this flight.

NO explanation....no "hey we have a problem...do you mind?" Dog kiss your foot.

Of course, the new flight Delta put him on had him arriving 2 hours AFTER his meeting was to start.

It was a mess to get straightened out. (it was a maintenance issue)

And he is a Diamond Medallion thingy member.....talk about not taking care of your loyal clients....

Poor communication probably..

but I have to disagree with the entertainment, food and housing...since I just spent 9 days on that ship....I got off the ship the morning you got on.

I felt the daytime activities on the Fun Times was the lightest of the 4 other cruises we have done since October.....(IMHO) and if the weather was bad...then that ruled out basketball, putt putt and sunbathing and the pool (especially if the slide was closed).

While a light day activities schedule is Carnival's responsibility....the weather is not.

The solo promenade entertainer (Pat) has played for the Vatican. Music Degree ROCKED. Rodrigo in karaoke is a HOOT. Just Rock was an excellent show...although I did not care for Win. We experienced 4 different comedians (because we did a back and back) and 3 of the 4 were excellent.

The food and service were consistant with all the other ships we have sailed.

As for 'spending money on board" part, the 3rd largest revenue for a cruise ship are shore excursions. Calica is a real money maker for Carnival in shore excursions.

Believe me, Carnival did not want to miss Calica any more than you did.

Well maybe they were tired and cranky after your cruise! Because we had an entertainment guy complain to us about his personal life issues while he was waiting to host trivia. He also told us another entertainment guy was about to be fired. They started activities too early or too late so sometimes people would miss them (like us). The food was cold and either under or over cooked.

Music Degree was good but both shows were awful. Cowboy (what ever his name was) was good but the other guy we walked out on - talk about being in the wrong business.

Our room steward and assistant waiter were awesome they were the only happy ones aboard.

I've seen other daily itineraries and heard from my bosses and past guests what sort of stuff there was to do and none of that was on our ship. Trivia, bingo, gambling, drinking some mediocre shows and stupid art auctions was about it.

We tried to even party on the lido deck one night despite the cold and even that was just okay.

Dont get me wrong I had fun enjoyed time alone with my hubby and glad I wasnt in GA in the snow storm. It just wasnt what I expected and thought it would have been much better!

I can deal with weather and the ship breaking down but NOT poor service!!!!!!!

We stayed on the ship for Cozumel due to the weather. There was not an announcement about Calica after people got off...the people who said that probably heard it from someone else or from an employee, but they definitely didn't come over the PA system and say "no Calica, sorry". They DID say, when they announced we were docked in Cozumel and folks could start getting off the ship, that they would send out a letter to every stateroom talking about what had happened and other variables that were going to be affected. We knew then and there with that statement Calica was not going to happen. But we didn't get confirmation until the letter went out, which was pretty late into the evening. No announcement was made.

We stayed on the ship for Cozumel due to the weather. There was not an announcement about Calica after people got off...the people who said that probably heard it from someone else or from an employee, but they definitely didn't come over the PA system and say "no Calica, sorry". They DID say, when they announced we were docked in Cozumel and folks could start getting off the ship, that they would send out a letter to every stateroom talking about what had happened and other variables that were going to be affected. We knew then and there with that statement Calica was not going to happen. But we didn't get confirmation until the letter went out, which was pretty late into the evening. No announcement was made.

Well they must have heard it from an employee then I thought they said it was an announcement. Any how I wish I would have known earlier : (

We had friends on this cruise. It just show yu how different people react to the same problem. Our friends paid the $199.00 (senior rate) rate for the cruise. They said if they had missed Coz the cruise would have been almost free. They were very happy. For all of you who didn't like being trapped on a ship for 4 days, don't take a transatlantic. You have 6 or 7 sea days in a row. And there are no more things planned then any other cruise. And the weather in the North Atlantic can be horrible. Lynda

Paul, I think your post makes too much sense to be accepted by someone who is intent on playing the "blame game". Life is somewhat like a poker game. Each day we are dealt a hand that we can either play, or we can fold. There are those however, that will insist on blaming the dealer when their hand is not what they had wished. Then there are those of us who are simply happy to be in the game. Disappointments are a part of life, as was the case on this particular cruise. As a passenger, we can only control how we handle such a situation. It's all about attitude!

I think you nailed it. There was someone who posted to me that setting perfect expectations doesn't include a hard fall when it happens. This entire thread is a poster child for calling BS on that one. When someone sets an unrealistic expectation, the fall is going to be very, very hard indeed. Setting an expectation that you are guaranteed any port is asking for someone to pull the chair out from under the noose around your neck.

also for those people asking if knowing in advance we weren't going to Calica would have made a difference it would have made a BIG difference for us because we would planned to do something more exciting in Cozumel (other than shop), and not returned to the ship so early. we also would have know we had more spending money because our excursion was cancelled in Calica. They could have at least warned us there was a chance we would not make it - but they didnt. Then for the extra day at sea they had nothing exciting planned!

Let me ask you this. If you were not expecting 2000 people at your house, and 24 hours prior to their arrival you found out that they were coming, how quickly could you throw together a party? All cruise lines plan for their guests to be off the ship at certain times. When they cannot debark for whatever reason, the staff is forced to attempt to throw together a party on very short notice. I guess since I don't cruise to be entertained 24/7 I cannot wrap my mind around wanting to be entertained every waking minute (maybe in my 20s :rolleyes:). When we missed Calica 2 years ago I recall there being extra activities announced but it was along the lines of bingo or trivia. Carnival is not RCI, you can't go climb a wall when there "is nothing to do".

They knew there was a problem before we left because they announced "we will be leaving late to do some "routine maintenance".........BULL!!!!!

That is so odd that you keep saying that, since Linda (LHP) who was debarking the day you were embarking has already said that her cruise was fine, there were no engine problems at all and they sailed regular speed the entire cruise. Not to mention the report from the OP of the "lurch" and then slowing down of the ship a couple of days into the cruise.

I think it all goes back to the blame game. Having worked in medicine for a number of years, I can attest to the fact that "it just is" or "we don't know" is a completely unacceptable answer when someone gets sick (even though, occasionally, there is no real answer). I wonder how many people who were expecting the "truth" (you can't handle the truth, lol) would have been ok with, "Gee, mister, something broke, we don't know what it is, don't know when it might be fixed, or if you're going to live through this." Seriously. Sometimes the truth, "We just don't know..." can cause a bigger riot than just not telling piece parts of possible information.

To those who say they are never going to cruise Carnival again. I hope you never leave your house again. Because your car can break down, and if your expectation is that you were supposed to be at work, are you going to call Ford and demand restitution for your $25,000 purchase? After all, it was EXPECTED to run and get you to work, right? Are you going to immediately ditch your car and never drive a Ford again? Because Ford should have known your engine was going to go out and notified you way ahead of time, right? Maybe called you the night before so you could arrange for a taxi? I say that tongue in cheek, but the principle is the same......they developed engine trouble AFTER they left Mobile (it has been previously documented that the ship was fine when it arrived back at port the day of the "doomed" sailing). As I have been saying all along, stuff happening is called LIFE. If we go into "stuff" with a negative "somebody better answer for this right by God now" attitude, it is highly likely their outcome is going to be worse than the event itself. If, on the other hand, people learn to roll with the punches, life is much more enjoyable and the ride fun to be on. I'm glad I am not in the former mind set ;)

Man anyone who disagrees with Carnival gets Ate up on this board man cant someone have there opinion and it be that there opinion i feel that if Carnival would have Said

We are having a issue with the engine we are late arriving in Cozumel we are sorry for the inconvenience we are working to fix the issue but this may effect the next port of call....thats simple and i would have been fine and had a great day in Cozumel...but it was obvious they knew there was some issue if they arrived so late to Cozumel so why not let the people know upfront thats all

Man anyone who disagrees with Carnival gets Ate up on this board man cant someone have there opinion and it be that there opinion i feel that if Carnival would have Said

We are having a issue with the engine we are late arriving in Cozumel we are sorry for the inconvenience we are working to fix the issue but this may effect the next port of call....thats simple and i would have been fine and had a great day in Cozumel...but it was obvious they knew there was some issue if they arrived so late to Cozumel so why not let the people know upfront thats all

Seems to me that they DID make an announcement that letters would be sent out. I'm wondering if RN2BDFW were the only ones listening?????? Perhaps they waited until the very last minute to see if whatever was broke could be fixed before saying they could not make Calica instead of just promising Calica. You know what would have happened, right? They came out WAY early and said no Calica. People would have spent extra on Cozumel (also documented here), then get back on the ship, have them say that they could make Calica after all....you see where this is going....all hell breaks loose because folks have spent extra on Cozumel instead of being happy they could make Calica. This seems lose/lose to me.

I think you nailed it. There was someone who posted to me that setting perfect expectations doesn't include a hard fall when it happens. This entire thread is a poster child for calling BS on that one. When someone sets an unrealistic expectation, the fall is going to be very, very hard indeed. Setting an expectation that you are guaranteed any port is asking for someone to pull the chair out from under the noose around your neck.

Let me ask you this. If you were not expecting 2000 people at your house, and 24 hours prior to their arrival you found out that they were coming, how quickly could you throw together a party? All cruise lines plan for their guests to be off the ship at certain times. When they cannot debark for whatever reason, the staff is forced to attempt to throw together a party on very short notice. I guess since I don't cruise to be entertained 24/7 I cannot wrap my mind around wanting to be entertained every waking minute (maybe in my 20s :rolleyes:). When we missed Calica 2 years ago I recall there being extra activities announced but it was along the lines of bingo or trivia. Carnival is not RCI, you can't go climb a wall when there "is nothing to do".

That is so odd that you keep saying that, since Linda (LHP) who was debarking the day you were embarking has already said that her cruise was fine, there were no engine problems at all and they sailed regular speed the entire cruise. Not to mention the report from the OP of the "lurch" and then slowing down of the ship a couple of days into the cruise.

I think it all goes back to the blame game. Having worked in medicine for a number of years, I can attest to the fact that "it just is" or "we don't know" is a completely unacceptable answer when someone gets sick (even though, occasionally, there is no real answer). I wonder how many people who were expecting the "truth" (you can't handle the truth, lol) would have been ok with, "Gee, mister, something broke, we don't know what it is, don't know when it might be fixed, or if you're going to live through this." Seriously. Sometimes the truth, "We just don't know..." can cause a bigger riot than just not telling piece parts of possible information.

To those who say they are never going to cruise Carnival again. I hope you never leave your house again. Because your car can break down, and if your expectation is that you were supposed to be at work, are you going to call Ford and demand restitution for your $25,000 purchase? After all, it was EXPECTED to run and get you to work, right? Are you going to immediately ditch your car and never drive a Ford again? Because Ford should have known your engine was going to go out and notified you way ahead of time, right? Maybe called you the night before so you could arrange for a taxi? I say that tongue in cheek, but the principle is the same......they developed engine trouble AFTER they left Mobile (it has been previously documented that the ship was fine when it arrived back at port the day of the "doomed" sailing). As I have been saying all along, stuff happening is called LIFE. If we go into "stuff" with a negative "somebody better answer for this right by God now" attitude, it is highly likely their outcome is going to be worse than the event itself. If, on the other hand, people learn to roll with the punches, life is much more enjoyable and the ride fun to be on. I'm glad I am not in the former mind set ;)

Well you wern't on the ship obviously so you dont know how they handled the situation and how poor the service was. I expected what I saw on/in their ads and what others told me and that was not what I experienced. Im sure they could have planned something more exciting thats the entertainments staff job. I have a feeling they did know there was some issues maybe they fixed it and oit broke again but they did leave late and did make the technical announcement.

Question for everyone: whats the purpose of cruising if its not to see the ports and its not to have a great time, good food and be entertained? Just curious why someone would pick cruising over tavelling to a destination? Ive had a better time camping at the beach with my familly. Just wondering because I didnt find it all that exciting. I had a good time just not wonderful like everyone says it is. I WILL give it one more try some year just not carnival. I judge my experiences on customer service.

I could not agree with RCRX more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived