Elation Propulsion + 72$

rcrx

Just curious but has anyone heard anything NEW about the Elation during it's current sailing? I haven't noticed any posts from on-board passengers since it sailed Saturday. Our friends are due back tomorrow on the Elation so just wondering.

I did speak with a friend who works as a check in person at the Mobile cruise terminal though, and she said that the ship came in and sailed back out last Saturday according to schedule. Hopefully the problem in fixed now.

Ok Im typing this on my phone so Im not including resoponses to specific quotes beacuse ther are a few Im responding to.

First off the bigger problem was cutomer service and communication. Thats why I will cruise again just not with Carnival.

I think both the ports and the ship are the reason people pick cruising. And yes the ports are not guaranteed but then the cruise staff (and director who we hardly ever saw) needs to provide even better customer service. There should be more of a variety of activities especially when the weather is ba and you cannot swim. The entertainment staff is hired to entertain and keep the guests happy. Heck our assistant waiter did a better job of that at dinner. The one thing I did expect was to have fun on the FUN ship.

I know complaining on here has no purpose and I will be filing out my survey and my boss is letting our carnival rep know about my experience. We also arent pushing the elation to clients any time soon. My boss asked me why I didnt complain on board and I told her because the poor guest services was being bombarded already with upset people (and Ive been in their shoes). I am greatful to those that did their job and did go above and beyond.

Someone also made a comment about carnival only offering an exotic carribean cruises since ports are never guaranteed. My husband actually mentioned something similar to me last night which I was going to post. He said if ports dont matter at all (like some say) then why dont they offer a gulf of mexico, atlantic ocean, etc cruise. It would save carnival and guests money. They could leave from a port go out 50 miles into the ocean so you cannot see land and then everyone can just vacation on the ship. They would save fuel, port charges and wear and tear on hsips. All they would need to do is provide great service, food and entertainment. No one would ever get mad about missing a port, etc. Just food for thought, lol.

Any way I was happy with the $70 they gave us all back per person. I dont think they owe anyone any more money. But they do need to up their service at least on the elation. I think our nextc ruise will be Disney in a few years with the kiddos. With all there is on those ships I wouldnt care if we didnt go anywhere but the middle of the ocean, lol.

Like Ive said on my fb page when I posted pictures. I will cruise again just on a different cruise line, for 7 days not 5, and between April-September. Lol.

I ddint even bash Carnivals service on my fb page since I am well aware it may have just been that particular crew and thpossibly the circumstances. Even though I dont think the circumstances had anything to do with it because the crew seemed grummy after day 2. And several past guests said that the this cruise did have the worst service and food they have ever had. Their prices are great and I think if someone wants to try them they should.

Well I hope the debates end soon tis thread is getting long. See what youve started poster #1!

Ok Im typing this on my phone so Im not including resoponses to specific quotes beacuse ther are a few Im responding to.

First off the bigger problem was cutomer service and communication. Thats why I will cruise again just not with Carnival.

I think both the ports and the ship are the reason people pick cruising. And yes the ports are not guaranteed but then the cruise staff (and director who we hardly ever saw) needs to provide even better customer service. There should be more of a variety of activities especially when the weather is ba and you cannot swim. The entertainment staff is hired to entertain and keep the guests happy. Heck our assistant waiter did a better job of that at dinner. The one thing I did expect was to have fun on the FUN ship.

I know complaining on here has no purpose and I will be filing out my survey and my boss is letting our carnival rep know about my experience. We also arent pushing the elation to clients any time soon. My boss asked me why I didnt complain on board and I told her because the poor guest services was being bombarded already with upset people (and Ive been in their shoes). I am greatful to those that did their job and did go above and beyond.

Someone also made a comment about carnival only offering an exotic carribean cruises since ports are never guaranteed. My husband actually mentioned something similar to me last night which I was going to post. He said if ports dont matter at all (like some say) then why dont they offer a gulf of mexico, atlantic ocean, etc cruise. It would save carnival and guests money. They could leave from a port go out 50 miles into the ocean so you cannot see land and then everyone can just vacation on the ship. They would save fuel, port charges and wear and tear on hsips. All they would need to do is provide great service, food and entertainment. No one would ever get mad about missing a port, etc. Just food for thought, lol.

Any way I was happy with the $70 they gave us all back per person. I dont think they anyone any more money. But they do need to up their service at least on the elation. I think our nextc ruise will be Disney in a few years with the kiddos. With all there is on those ships I wouldnt care if we didnt go anywhere but the middle of the ocean, lol.

Like Ive said on my fb page when I posted pictures. I will cruise again just on a different cruise line, for 7 days not 5, and between April-September. Lol.

I ddint even bash Carnivals service since I am well aware it may have just been that particular crew and the circumstances. There prices are great and I think if someone wants to try them they should.

Well I hope the debates end soon tis thread is getting long. See what youve started poster #1!

I don't blame you for being turned off....just wanted to point out that June through Dec is hurricane season...you may want to change your choice of travel months...:)

I don't blame you for being turned off....just wanted to point out that June through Dec is hurricane season...you may want to change your choice of travel months...:)

I thought Aug- Dec was hurricane season? Okay maybe April-early June then? Again though if the service is good I wouldnt mind missing a port due to an issue arising. As long as I was occupied and not bored on the ship.

Just one quick question and one that I've always wanted to ask someone... if the ship isn't a huge part of your vacation goal then why book a cruise? Why not fly?

I've always been baffled by this, perhaps you can help me.

:)

A fair question deserves a fair answer. We cruise because I love to travel and DH can't fly (has OCD.. like literally, not the "oooh... i sort my spice racks" ocd. Last time he was on a plane, pre-9/11, he tried to make them open the doors to let him off).

I get to see places you can't get to by car, while spending time with my family.

The mistake that folks make is that they look at at cruise ship as a means of transportation and it's really not. A cruise ship is a destination unto itself.

And this is stated where Mach? Maybe for you and some others it is a "destination unto itself" but for us, it is a means to get to different islands/ports. Now I am not saying they owe me anything for missing ports due to weather but your statement is nothing more than your opinion.

When you have been on numerous cruises, sitting on a ship for 7 days(assuming that happened since, according to you, it is a destination) would get quite boring. Same food, same entertainment, same scenery.

Also, to comment on your question about "why not fly". How feasible and economical would it be to fly to St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Kitts & Barbados(all in a week), plus pay for hotel and food? You are talking about a substantial amount of money in comparison to getting there on the cruise ship.

Not all of us are in awe with the ship. While I do enjoy my time on it, I have no desire to vacation on just it alone.

A fair question deserves a fair answer. We cruise because I love to travel and DH can't fly (has OCD.. like literally, not the "oooh... i sort my spice racks" ocd. Last time he was on a plane, pre-9/11, he tried to make them open the doors to let him off).

I get to see places you can't get to by car, while spending time with my family.

Thanks so much and that makes total sense. I believe that a rather small percentage of cruisers fall in that category but I can understand the reasoning.

Just curious but has anyone heard anything NEW about the Elation during it's current sailing? I haven't noticed any posts from on-board passengers since it sailed Saturday. Our friends are due back tomorrow on the Elation so just wondering.

I did speak with a friend who works as a check in person at the Mobile cruise terminal though, and she said that the ship came in and sailed back out last Saturday according to schedule. Hopefully the problem in fixed now.

She made both of her ports on time and is now heading back to Mobile.

[/left]

And this is stated where Mach? Maybe for you and some others it is a "destination unto itself" but for us, it is a means to get to different islands/ports. Now I am not saying they owe me anything for missing ports due to weather but your statement is nothing more than your opinion.

When you have been on numerous cruises, sitting on a ship for 7 days(assuming that happened since, according to you, it is a destination) would get quite boring. Same food, same entertainment, same scenery.

OK, let me sort this out a tad if I can. Ocean liners were/are a means of transportation. They sail regularly scheduled routes, the most famous being Cunard's Queen Mary 2 that does transatlantic crossing from the UK to New York and back. Properly, she is the RMS Queen Mary 2 (Royal Mail Ship)...

Now, granted, very few people use a ship exclusively for travel between the UK and New York any more some do.

Remember back during the events surrounding 9/11? No airliners were allowed to fly. The QE2 was pressed into service again as pretty much pure transportation. In fact, she carried the mail back and forth across the Atlantic.

Cruise ships, as opposed to ocean liners, were never really meant as transportation. They were, and are, meant to be a part of a vacation experience. That's what the cruise industry is all about. Consider ships like RCCL's Oasis and Allure. If those aren't meant to be a destination I don't know what is!

Granted that with the exception of a CTN there is an expectation that you will make the ports but it's not guaranteed... never has been and it's common knowledge (or should be...) If the ports are the raison d'etre of the vacation then flying is the logical choice, not a ship. That's what I mean by transportation... a reliable method of getting from A to B.

I am booked on the Elation for Feb 12...

IF the ports were my main concern, I would NOT be booked on this cruise as I have been to Cozumel 10 times and Progresso 4 times...

However, I cruise because I love the ENTIRE experience...(and admit, a cruise to nowhere would be just fine for me.)

I will go into Cozumel and enjoy an wonderful city with many opportunities for fun.

I will go into Progresso, if for no other reason then the great Flea Market and the cheap bus ride around town.

But the cruise itself is the main part of the vacation. An amazing steward will make my bed, three or four times a day if necessary...and leave me a cut towell animal at night. food, Food...FOod...FOOd..FOOD....from buffet, to sit down dinner, to 24 hour pizza and room service. Entertainment with full shows, comedy, karaoke, dancing, etc...

As I tell my friends...If I drive to Gulf Shores and rent a "decent Hotel", buy my meals, pay for entertainment, have someone make my bed, and see beautiful sights I will pay over $250 a day for my wife and I...and I get the same on a cruise ship for half the amount.

Mach,

I do agree, in theory, that the ships are the "experience" but not necessarily for everyone.

Yes, with all there is to do on the Allure, Oasis, etc., one should take that into account beforehand and not worry so much about the ports, other than a break in the action.

For us, the ship, in general, is just a means to get to different islands/ports that we can check out and then fly back to, if we liked them. We don't particularly like being on "the clock" all the time, while in port, so that is a big turnoff for us in cruising, but that is just us.

I guess my whole point was that we all cruise for different reasons, none being right or wrong.

I must add something here:

I've cruised the Elation many, many times and was on the inaugural of this little gem. Last year, I spent 2 weeks on Elation when it repositioned to Mobil and enjoyed every minute. The well-seasoned crew and staff were wonderful; the food delicious and they didn't repeat one menu in 2 weeks. From Cabin Stewards to entertainment personnel, I found a great professionalism and friendliness.

35 years of cruising has shown me many things about the experience. Mechanical problems can arise on any ship, any time despite the best efforts of the cruise line to keep it well-maintained. Heck, even cars have accidents, fender-benders and breakdowns. That's life.

No cruise line wants to miss a port. They know they will have to answer for it..mostly to those onboard who aren't seasoned cruisers and whose expectations are totally out of line for the reality of travel at sea. They try to find an alternate port; but that isn't always possible. There may not be enough docking facilities (several other ships are also asea and have "reservations" at ports). Or, the alternate ports are too far away to reach in the time period of the cruise...or, the ships "problem" may prohibit the speed needed to reach the alternate port.

No matter what vessel I've been on, when a port is missed or the decision must be made to drop a port, it has ALWAYS been announced - several times - by the Captain, the CD, Guest Services and there has ALWAYS been a letter delivered to each cabin advising the passengers....and any compensation that might be offered. A sympathetic ear has always been available at guest services who will listen and explain again the "why's" if necessary. If they are approached with courtesy in an adult manner, their patience is unending....they do this year round, week after week....

While it's true that many reserve a cruise for the itinerary...(maybe even most do), it's equally true that a port - or several ports may have to be dropped for various reasons. This is carefully laid out in the terms and conditions/ticket contract to which we all agree when we book the cruise. Every cruise line has the same information concerning port cancellations...almost the exact wording. It's up to the passenger to read and understand the nature of the cruise and any pitfalls. Missed ports are never planned. There is always something completely beyond the control of the Captain, the company or anyone else. It's imperative to know that before you book and prepare for this eventuality. If you book a cruise only for the itinerary, you will eventually be disappointed.

To suggest that at the first sign of trouble a ship should return to port instead of continuing is ludicrous. Most people would be irate. Most accept the change in the spirit of cruising and make lemonade. Most take disappointments like this in good humor knowing all that can be done is being done.

I regret OP was disappointed and has rejected future Carnival cruises. However, this incident can and does happen on ALL cruise lines...it doesn't matter if it's the Queens of Cunard or the dinky overnight cruises to the Bahamas. Ship happens.....and it won't make any difference at all what ship you are on.

As for "nothing to do"; any Funtimes paper shows the day and night packed with activities from sunrise until late night. Many, many musical venues, shows, entertainment venues and everything is open and running no matter where the ship is. I find it impossible there was "nothing to do" ever, on any ship, any line, any time. If all else fails, there's always a quiet place on deck where a good book can be enjoyed - sun can be had. Pools are open, hot tubs and over 1000 people onboard to meet and enjoy.

I love to cruise but have always thought the cruise staff should organize more activities for sea days.

There are times when DW takes a nap during the afternoon for a few hours and it is kind of hard to find some thing to do for a few hours.

I do not complain to anyone just deal with it, I read and go to the gym.

When the cruise becomes a ctn they should organize more activities. How hard is it to add a few more game shows in the main lounge or have the talented people from the cruise staff put on an impromptu show for the guests.

Would keep the passengers busy and happy.

That would have cut down on many of the complaints I have read here

OK, let me sort this out a tad if I can. Ocean liners were/are a means of transportation. They sail regularly scheduled routes, the most famous being Cunard's Queen Mary 2 that does transatlantic crossing from the UK to New York and back. Properly, she is the RMS Queen Mary 2 (Royal Mail Ship)...

Now, granted, very few people use a ship exclusively for travel between the UK and New York any more some do.

Remember back during the events surrounding 9/11? No airliners were allowed to fly. The QE2 was pressed into service again as pretty much pure transportation. In fact, she carried the mail back and forth across the Atlantic.

Cruise ships, as opposed to ocean liners, were never really meant as transportation. They were, and are, meant to be a part of a vacation experience. That's what the cruise industry is all about. Consider ships like RCCL's Oasis and Allure. If those aren't meant to be a destination I don't know what is!

Granted that with the exception of a CTN there is an expectation that you will make the ports but it's not guaranteed... never has been and it's common knowledge (or should be...) If the ports are the raison d'etre of the vacation then flying is the logical choice, not a ship. That's what I mean by transportation... a reliable method of getting from A to B.

Oceanliners advertised as such.........just as trains and planes.

Cruiseship vacations advertise sailing to exotic destinations....

No comparison whatsoever.....

Nothing is guaranteed in life.......that logical thinking of flying to a destination could end up a disaster also;)

I give your logic a F, calling someone insane, because one time they had a cruise where they were unhappy with customer service and the CD. Not good logic.

Now THAT'S funny. She was quoting Albert Einstein!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Are you giving Einstein an F?

Mach,

I do agree, in theory, that the ships are the "experience" but not necessarily for everyone.

Yes, with all there is to do on the Allure, Oasis, etc., one should take that into account beforehand and not worry so much about the ports, other than a break in the action.

For us, the ship, in general, is just a means to get to different islands/ports that we can check out and then fly back to, if we liked them. We don't particularly like being on "the clock" all the time, while in port, so that is a big turnoff for us in cruising, but that is just us.

I guess my whole point was that we all cruise for different reasons, none being right or wrong.

But you cruise understanding that there's a fair chance you won't make one or more of your ports, yes?

My point being that you wouldn't buy a seat on an airliner to get to Denver if said airliner failed to make Denver as often as cruise ships fail to make Grand Cayman. Transportation is meant to be a reliable method of getting to a destination, far more so than cruise ships.

I agree completely that folks cruise for different reasons and that's a wonderful thing but everyone needs to have reasonable expectations about the entire experience. Perhaps a large portion of disappointment when a ship misses a port should fall on the shoulders of the TA or PVP who booked the voyage. It should be their responsibility to explain that although you can expect to reach all of the ports in your itinerary there a possibility you might not. It's all part of the adventure!

[/left]

Also, to comment on your question about "why not fly". How feasible and economical would it be to fly to St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Kitts & Barbados(all in a week), plus pay for hotel and food? You are talking about a substantial amount of money in comparison to getting there on the cruise ship.

Not all of us are in awe with the ship. While I do enjoy my time on it, I have no desire to vacation on just it alone.

When the cruise contract, the FAQ's, and the "things to know before you go," all state that NO PORT is guaranteed, how much more needs to be said that the ship is not 'transportation.' A cruise is a ship ride that may go where it intends to go, or not.

When the cruise contract, the FAQ's, and the "things to know before you go," all state that NO PORT is guaranteed, how much more needs to be said that the ship is not 'transportation.' A cruise is a ship ride that may go where it intends to go, or not.

It's no use Dan. Folks will never read the fine print. They may "listen" but they certainly won't "hear".

Some folks cannot be satisfied no matter what the situation may be. Unrealistic expectations always lead to disappointment...and some can't stand that. So, they rage and beat their chest, blame everyone in sight for their outrage and raise fists to the sky.

Others know that travel should be an adventure. Most know that things rarely run smooth 100% of the time and "roll with the flow"...

Choleric personalties will always kick and scream....

It's no use Dan. Folks will never read the fine print. They may "listen" but they certainly won't "hear".

Some folks cannot be satisfied no matter what the situation may be. Unrealistic expectations always lead to disappointment...and some can't stand that. So' date=' they rage and beat their chest, blame everyone in sight for their outrage and raise fists to the sky.

Others know that travel should be an adventure. Most know that things rarely run smooth 100% of the time and "roll with the flow"...

Choleric personalties will always kick and scream....[/quote']

What does the fine print have to do with why people choose to cruise......nobody here that cruises for ports (that I know of) ever denied what the fine print says......

And I am not talking about the few that kick and scream when things don't go their way.....they are just miserable people period......don't throw us all in one basket please......

What does the fine print have to do withwhy people choose to cruise......nobody here that cruises for ports (that I know of) ever denied what the fine print says......

And I am not talking about the few that kick and scream when things don't go their way.....they are just miserable people period......don't throw us all in one basket please......

She didn't. She said SOME people...

But you cruise understanding that there's a fair chance you won't make one or more of your ports, yes?

My point being that you wouldn't buy a seat on an airliner to get to Denver if said airliner failed to make Denver as often as cruise ships fail to make Grand Cayman. Transportation is meant to be a reliable method of getting to a destination, far more so than cruise ships.

I agree completely that folks cruise for different reasons and that's a wonderful thing but everyone needs to have reasonable expectations about the entire experience. Perhaps a large portion of disappointment when a ship misses a port should fall on the shoulders of the TA or PVP who booked the voyage. It should be their responsibility to explain that although you can expect to reach all of the ports in your itinerary there a possibility you might not. It's all part of the adventure!

While I fully expect to make every port, I am also a very reasonable person and understand that some things cannot be avoided. In 2002, we missed Jamaica due to high winds. Yes we were disappointed but understood that Carnival did all they could to get us there and that no one can control mother nature. Did I expect some sort of compensation, of course not.

My only point I was trying to make was that not all of us "cruise" for the ship, nothing more, nothing less.

Dan,

You have completely missed what I was talking about. Nowhere did you see me question going to a port. Read my posts before you jump to unfounded conclusions.

I said, now stay with me here, that not all of us cruise to just be on the ship. That some of us cruise to go to the ports.

I have no idea where you and G'ma inferred anything different.

Archived