WHY Indian Food ?

block

First of all, I want to say that I love India people and do not want to offend any Indian's who will read this thread. I love all people, but I do not have to like their cuisine. That being said...

TBone2K, just because people don't like something does not mean they are "ignorant." People are allowed to not like something or think a different way than you. Just because someone has a different opinion then you doesn't mean you should call them "ignorant". Sounds very close-minded and insulting. Which is how I'm sure you intended it to be. The word is highly insulting and also overused to the point of ridiculousness. It doesn't make people sound smarter just because they can call people "stupid" with a different word to make themselves sound more educated or cultured.

I'm multi racial. I've tried food from many cultures and embrace it. I love all kinds of food with the exception of Indian. I've probably eaten things you, not only didn't realize existed, but that would probably gross you out completely. Things you wouldn't even dream about eating. You act like you know me.

When someone takes a Southern Caribbean cruise, one is not expecting to have Indian food every day for every meal. It's not only crazy but unexpected. If I wanted Indian food everyday, I'd go to India or take a cruise to India. I did not sign up for either.

One day would have been enough to expose others to the "flavor" of that culture. Indian curry is the worst kind of curry (in my opinion, other's are allowed to have their own opinions - I will not think you are all ignorant). I personally find it pungent and it can bring on a headache.

Variety from different cultures would have been wonderful. That is not what I got. Yes, there are other items at the buffet but the food was repetitious and select, probably to cut cost on the costly vacation I took. Not only was the Indian food tiring but also the other options as well, Indian being the one that stood out the most because the smell is so overwhelming and I didn't realize it would be so readily available everyday. I got tired of smelling and seeing it. Not again, is what was going through my mind.

For people who say it's for vegetarian options. Sorry, but all the Indian cuisine I saw had meat in it. So that theory is shot down to dust and confusion. Butter chicken is made with meat. Almost everyone I saw was eating fruit, hamburgers, salad or pasta. Indian food lover's where you at is what I was thinking when I looked around.

I honestly don't even think having Thai food on the ship everyday would have been okay. It wouldn't have been. What if someone didn't like Thai food?

The ships should cater to the area people are visiting for authenticity. With some different dishes from different cultures along the way. That's all I was saying.

If you love Indian food, more power to you. You would have probably loved the food. But I do not like Indian food so it was frustrating when the options were limited, and they were. Cruising is not like it used to be. Businesses are cutting cost everywhere. And you can bet all that Indian food, is really to cut cost. The flip side is that I didn't eat as much because the options were not to my taste.

I found this thread because I also question the need to have Indian food all the time and wondered if someone else was thinking the same thing. I took a Royal Caribbean cruise, a Norway founded brand of ships based out of Miami Florida, from the Port of San Juan Puerto Rico. The last thing on my mind was that the ship would have so much Indian food. I questioned it and also made note of it on my survey when I got back.

I guess if someone thinks "ignorance when it comes to other peoples culture's cuisine is astounding" then so be it.

I find it astounding that someone would find that astounding and call people they don't know "ignorant" because of it. I was astounded that there was so much Indian food on the ship, no joke. I had to check myself to see if I accidently got on the wrong cruise ship. I almost asked someone if we were on our way to India.

Edited by Siora7777

I find it ridiculous that people equate all indian food with curry and runny dishes. A large amount of westernised dishes on a Indian take away menu are not completely authentic... Chicken tikka Masala is probably the best example of this.

A lot of the best Indian dishes (and the healthiest) are cooked dry in tandoors with yoghurts and chutney type sauces as a side. Not to mention the range of breads, wraps and desserts that you can get. I feel very lucky that I am in a county in England where the cities within it are known for Indian food and have friends that cook the most delicious meals (without fattening ghee as well).

I would think it wise to research a cuisine before you completely pan it. I have similar views about those who say northern European food is vile and southern European food is delicious because its more popular around the world. Its probably due to exposure but still as a dedicated foodie I am a firm believe in doing your own research and being a bit risky when you dine.

<snip>A lot of the best Indian dishes (and the healthiest) are cooked dry in tandoors with yoghurts and chutney type sauces as a side. Not to mention the range of breads, wraps and desserts that you can get. I feel very lucky that I am in a county in England where the cities within it are known for Indian food and have friends that cook the most delicious meals (without fattening ghee as well).

Velvetwater, I am assuming you are referring in part to the multitudinous subtly-flavored, rich burfee-based Indian sweets when you mention "desserts"?:) And I have already blathered enough about the joys of Indian pickle!

....as a dedicated foodie I am a firm believe in doing your own research and being a bit risky when you dine.

Hear, hear! Forward, open-mindedly, into the culinary unknown!:cool:

I can't stand the smell of curries, and think that visually most Indian food looks like what came out if my dog's backside this morning. The combination makes it not something the least bit appealing.

As far as the chef's being from India, in my opinion that's just a cop out.

Sounds like you have a pretty impressive dog if it S#!+s curry!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Funny, Americans bashing a cuisine which has existed and been refining itself since before our country was born. I love food and cant imagine a world where we cant experience other food cultures. Southeast Asian food in my opinion has flavor explosions like almost nowhere else I have been on earth. If you don't like it don't eat it and stick with your md well steak and a baked potato. How fun.

Velvetwater, I am assuming you are referring in part to the multitudinous subtly-flavored, rich burfee-based Indian sweets when you mention "desserts"?:) And I have already blathered enough about the joys of Indian pickle!

Hear, hear! Forward, open-mindedly, into the culinary unknown!:cool:

You assume wrong.

There is a lot more to Indian desserts than Barfi, Jalebi, Galub Jaman and the like. However I am a very big fan of these when made well.

There are more unusual and wonderful sweets made of cardamom and cheese (Ras Malai), crepes with coconut (Poli), A gram flour based cake (Besa I think) that can be topped with milk and nuts, dumplings of coconut and spices (forgot the name but they are good).

As far as chutneys/pickles and things go they are numerous and unique to regions of India/Pakistan and Bangladesh and not limited to the mango sauce, Raita and lime pickle you get in standard places. As for wraps and sides I could go on forever about the world beyond Naan bread.

My tongue always thanks me for trying the unknown. :p

TBone2K, just because people don't like something does not mean they are "ignorant." People are allowed to not like something or think a different way than you. Just because someone has a different opinion then you doesn't mean you should call them "ignorant".

The irony of all of this is that many people do not know the correct meaning of the word "ignorant".

Ignorance is lack of knowledge. A very large number of the negative posts on this thread have been along the line of "I don't like Indian food because it looks like slop", "It all smells bad", "It's all the same", etc. Those are (to me) ignorant comments, because they show lack of knowledge of all the different kinds of Indian food available.

Incidentally, your post was well thought out, well written and worth reading. For those who might have missed it, it's on the previous page.

• 1 month later...
Personally I like indian food but I am posting to say that I am surprised that majority of the posters who replied seem to like it! Never knew Indian food is liked by so many.

Hope89, methinks you have hit on the reason many cruise lines have picked up the cuisine for their menu plans--it is popular and well-received by their passengers. Giving the clientele what they want is the way to keep the customers coming back. Good business practice, I should think. Should another cuisine find a stronger following, I am sure the lines will be gearing up on preparing _that_ style of cooking to ride its wave of popularity.

I have resisted the urge to scope back through the multiple hundreds of posts on this thread to sort out the "yeas" from the "nays" and trim out the repeat posters to come up with a tally as presented in this discussion forum. From what I can guesstimate however, the "yeas" are still in the lead. 285 posts and over 75K views--obviously there is a deep-seated interest and deep-seated feelings, pro and con, about its being served aboard cruise ships.

So, on with the debate! Let those lurking silently speak their hearts (and tastebuds and stomachs, and....):D

We were delighted with the Indian food we encountered on Carnival! My husband got the Indian vegetarian entree in the MDR every evening for dinner and he will probably do the same on our upcoming cruise. My kids will be happy too - they love chickpeas, lentils, and rice especially.

Funny, Americans bashing a cuisine which has existed and been refining itself since before our country was born. I love food and cant imagine a world where we cant experience other food cultures. Southeast Asian food in my opinion has flavor explosions like almost nowhere else I have been on earth. If you don't like it don't eat it and stick with your md well steak and a baked potato. How fun.

First let me say this thread made me laugh, cry, shake my head, but mostly hungry.

Don't bash all of us Americans. Some of us love experiencing food from other cultures. I'm included. I cook it too!

In all cultures there are those whose palettes could never eat anything other than what their mom feed them as a child. I've even met people who wanted me to branch out and try their native cuisine. (I did and loved it), but they themselves would never try food from another culture. And what about people who will eat Chinese, but are afraid to try Japanese, Korean, or French-Vietnamese? Madness!

Those folks are who they are. Thank goodness for variety!

Bring on that curry!

Edited by Chitown12562

• 2 weeks later...

Indian food is not always "very" spicy. There are many mildly spiced dishes, depending on the areas of India they hail from. Properly prepared Indian food should not be oily!

Indian food is gaining popularity in many urban centers. As many people now travel and explore new lands and new places, (even if it is just a cruise ship), they are discovering new tastes and new cuisines. I think it is wonderful, to have a varied palate. But in case you dont like this type of food, you are in luck. There will always be the burgers and hot dogs, and buffet offerings to keep you from going hungry, and there will likely be too few venues that offer these wonderful varied world cuisines.

I actually wish the cruise ships would offer more asian food, be it Indian, Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese.....I could go on. But I for one, love it all.

Edited by SMSACE6

• 2 weeks later...
Personally I like indian food but I am posting to say that I am surprised that majority of the posters who replied seem to like it! Never knew Indian food is liked by so many.

Stand by for another surprise! Following a survey conducted nationally the following questions were posed as to peoples knowledge of ethnic dishes.

The Uk favorite dish was Tandoori Chicken Masala. Not roast beef and Yorkshire pudding as most predicted.

Americas favorite dish turned out to be Tupperware😇

I was recently on the Brilliance of the seas and one of the enterprising head waiters had organized an Indian lunch consisting of 5 courses which were cooked by the chef and served to all those present. I was pleased to see some colonials in the audience and they mostly enjoyed the experience. The recipes and prep instructions were delivered to the cabins the next day, best $15 we spent on the cruise.

I was recently on the Brilliance of the seas and one of the enterprising head waiters had organized an Indian lunch consisting of 5 courses which were cooked by the chef and served to all those present. I was pleased to see some colonials in the audience and they mostly enjoyed the experience.

We colonials _are_ trying to better ourselves, glacially making progress. Mayhap in another century or two, we might be able to start being nominally acceptable in our betters' eyes. :rolleyes: Oh, dear, but what if your sister wanted to _marry_ an American????:eek: <just kidding!>:p

I will be on Princess in Nov in eastern Carib and I am praying Princess has a ton of Indian food. We love Indian food ( wife, daughter, in laws)...Wife and daughter are vegetarians and they can eat Indian 3 meals a day. I agree with some of the earlier poster that most American food seem to be bland ,oily and unhealthy. I was on Carnival in April and they had Guy's burger joint....I tried the first day and that was the most disgusting thing I have ever had in my life...How can people eat all of that hyped Guys food?? I never went to that counter ever during my 7 days on the ship..

Last Princess cruise I had, there was one night that there were several Indian dishes. Vegetarian and not. There was one of the chefs or cooks behind the serving dishes describing them, but I knew most of them. Of course chicken tikka masala, but many other curries. Even pappadums (sp?). They were crisp, not like the ones on RCCL that were limp. LOL

We colonials _are_ trying to better ourselves, glacially making progress. Mayhap in another century or two, we might be able to start being nominally acceptable in our betters' eyes. :rolleyes: Oh, dear, but what if your sister wanted to _marry_ an American????:eek: <just kidding!>:p

Yes that is a very daunting thought. I am grateful that i will never have to go through that agonizing ordeal, as i do not have a sister.

However im sure that there are many established organizations in existence, many undercover I suspect, that are there to guide or dissuade these errant young women from going down this somewhat treacherous path.

Although i think that should the young lady, on being introduced into the colonial circle, maybe invited for dinner or some other ceremony, that they would generally be put off possibly by the menu, or maybe the cutlery (flatware, silverware) that they would find, or in the manner in which they, the knife, fork and spoon are used or more generally ignored at table.

I refer to the ubiquitous use of the fork and the dagger like handling of the knife. For the most part the meat placed on the plate is already dead there is no need to repeat the slaughter process.

The ritualistic wearing of the baseball cap at the table, the overly loud conversations and the exhibition of the food whilst being masticated.

Whilst the British were banished from the shores of that particular colony as a result of tea tax, I'm sure that a British lady would be dismayed at having coffee thrust at her at every opportunity.

A cup of English Breakfast tea in the morning or at any time. Earl Grey is considered sophisticated by many colonials but is rarely taken by the populous of these fair isles. Considered more of a fancy scented drink, than a wholesome beverage. A little over the top with a custard cream biscuit. Or a Tunnocks wafer.

At around 4.30 tea time. I personally prefer a glass of Pimms No 1 or a stiff Gin and Tonic. Then taking an evening stroll in the grounds accompanied by the trusted hounds. Not by some miniature ball of fluff representing a rat on a stick which many colonial ladies seem to parade especially in towns about Florida.

Dont take any of the above seriously, just some observations and remember for all Brits our history began thousands of years ago and not as a result of a country banishing a group of religious fanatics to some far flung outpost across the Atlantic ocean.😎😎😎😎

I've seen this thread or something similar for a few years.

I love Indian food and really enjoy the special dining venue on the Carnival Dream and the Breeze.

I live in a senior community in South Carolina. I can't tell you how many people will say they don't like Indian food and then say they've never eaten it. That drives me nuts. Heard the same about Thai and Vietnamese.

Having said that, I don't expect everyone to like it. I can't eat lamb. The smell makes me nauseous. I had to leave the MDR once when many people were ordering it around me. Tried it rare, well, etc Husband doesn't like olives, pickles and raisins

But I don't criticize others for eating lamb. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

<SNIP>

I can't eat lamb. The smell makes me nauseous. I had to leave the MDR once when many people were ordering it around me. Tried it rare, well, etc Husband doesn't like olives, pickles and raisins

But I don't criticize others for eating lamb. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Pity, Lynn--DW in her pre-vegetarian days made a marinated lamb roast and marinated lamb kebabs that were exquisite. Not saying you would definitely change your mind, but if you didn't like them, you definitely were not a fan of lamb in ANY form. But I wouldn't have forced them on you in any case. It would take a bloody miracle for me to eat beef liver in almost any form. And yes, I have tried it several times, all with poor results. Pork liver I can take if it's in Liverwurst or liver sausage. So yes, one's tastebuds are one's own provenance and own territory.

Here's to finding new and enjoyable tastes as we progress through life.

I love Indian food and really enjoy the special dining venue on the Carnival Dream and the Breeze.

I live in a senior community in South Carolina. I can't tell you how many people will say they don't like Indian food and then say they've never eaten it. That drives me nuts. Heard the same about Thai and Vietnamese.

Having said that, I don't expect everyone to like it. I can't eat lamb. The smell makes me nauseous. I had to leave the MDR once when many people were ordering it around me. Tried it rare, well, etc Husband doesn't like olives, pickles and raisins

It drives me nuts too! Or they tried one bite some time years ago and say it's slop and looks like barf. Not all Indian food is curries.

However I know what you mean about lamb. I happen to love lamb, but I do know it has a distinct smell to it.

Pity, Lynn--DW in her pre-vegetarian days made a marinated lamb roast and marinated lamb kebabs that were exquisite. Not saying you would definitely change your mind, but if you didn't like them, you definitely were not a fan of lamb in ANY form. But I wouldn't have forced them on you in any case. It would take a bloody miracle for me to eat beef liver in almost any form. And yes, I have tried it several times, all with poor results. Pork liver I can take if it's in Liverwurst or liver sausage. So yes, one's tastebuds are one's own provenance and own territory.

Here's to finding new and enjoyable tastes as we progress through life.

That would be me. I have tried lamb prepared in a number of ways and just don't like it.

I also don't eat liver of any type, or any organ meats for that matter. Also don't eat any sort of sausage/wursts/etc.