WHY Indian Food ?

block

<SNIP>

It's now one of our family's favorites, and we try new Indian recipes from time to time; some are winners, some are not... but we definitely love the blending of all the spices, and the velvety richness that's just unlike anything else!!:D

May all your culinary experiments be interesting:confused:, at least, if not all wonderful. You can always learn from a mistake, and, sometimes, mistakes can be better than you originally planned. Try keeping detailed notes on the spicing and techniques, and if they worked well :) or not :eek:. I once reverse-engineered a recipe of hummus that my DW makes "by the nose" by starting with a baseline recipe and adding small amounts of various ingredients, mixing them in, having her taste the result and comment, and jotting down the extra tablespoonfuls and teaspoonfuls and eighth-teaspoonfuls it took to bring it to her liking.

And be sure to invite your neighbors, friends, kids' friends and others to share your new food-vistas!

May all your culinary experiments be interesting:confused:, at least, if not all wonderful. You can always learn from a mistake, and, sometimes, mistakes can be better than you originally planned. Try keeping detailed notes on the spicing and techniques, and if they worked well :) or not :eek:. I once reverse-engineered a recipe of hummus that my DW makes "by the nose" by starting with a baseline recipe and adding small amounts of various ingredients, mixing them in, having her taste the result and comment, and jotting down the extra tablespoonfuls and teaspoonfuls and eighth-teaspoonfuls it took to bring it to her liking.

And be sure to invite your neighbors, friends, kids' friends and others to share your new food-vistas!

Thank you!!

Yes, I learned to write down any and all adjustments I made to the recipes.... even a tiny change can make a big difference! Lots of fun to experiment with new recipes and flavors! :D

Yes, you who have recently come back from a cruise on which Indian food was offered. Time to dish on your experiences!

What ship were you on? What itinerary?

How was the selection, the presentation, the flavor?

What dishes were offered, what accompaniments, and breads? Soups? Raita, chutnies, or pickles? Desserts/sweets/Spiced chai?

What was the apparent response--scarcely touched/pointedly ignored by a disinterested clientele--

OR--mobbed, with people fighting over the last samosa?

(you may write on both the front and back of the screen, if needed.:p)

Edited by capncarp

Please save the daggers.

What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry ...I hope they don't serve in morning noon and night.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it ??

Please tell me I will only see it 1 day on my next trip? (ncl-jewel)

NCL served Indian Food daily in the Buffet. I "tried" as I wanted to try something different since it was available. Curry just isn't my thing, period in Thai or Jamacian Dishes I just cannot do curry. On the upside there are a TON of other options onboard.

NCL served Indian Food daily in the Buffet. I "tried" as I wanted to try something different since it was available. Curry just isn't my thing, period in Thai or Jamacian Dishes I just cannot do curry. On the upside there are a TON of other options onboard.

That's as fair an effort as one can hope for. Kudos to you for trying it.

And a double bravo to you for your still-adventurous outlook! Keep on trying the other options!

• 2 weeks later...

We will be cruising on Carnival Miracle in January and I plan to try the Indian vegetarian selection in the Main Dining Room. I've never had Indian food before but I've found pictures of Carnival's selections. It's served in 6 or 7 small bowls. I'm wondering what is the correct way to eat it. Do you eat each selection separately or mix them together? Looking forward to trying something new!

We will be cruising on Carnival Miracle in January and I plan to try the Indian vegetarian selection in the Main Dining Room. I've never had Indian food before but I've found pictures of Carnival's selections. It's served in 6 or 7 small bowls. I'm wondering what is the correct way to eat it. Do you ettleat each selection separately or mix them together? Looking forward to trying something new!

That style is known as a thali. Usually each diner is served on a small platter with either rotis, naan, other bread, or a heap of rice in the center. The little cups, known as kathoris, are each placed on the outside of the platter, each receive a small amount of a different entree, like dals, kormas, or other dishes. One scoops the dal/etc. with a piece of bread, or mixes a little rice with a little of the content of one of the cups. If you are adventurous, you may mix the savory with the rice, form it into a small ball with (washed) hand, and pop it into your mouth by hand. This is not considered rude within the culture, although it's best to practice this a few times at home first.

Go forth and have a culinary and cultural adventure!

Edited by capncarp

• 4 weeks later...

Curries for us probably is like an hamburger to the Americans, I eat at least once a week either homemade or from a Indian restaurant, it's just a UK staple now and every high street has several restaurants, couldn't imagine life without them and yes on board we do have for lunch in the buffet, in fact my husband and our friends had each day

Edited by Lyndaharve

• 2 months later...
I live in an area with 6,000 East Indians. Until I moved here, I had no idea that Indian food was so tasty. I find it fortunate that Indians are a very sharing culture and my Indian neighbors often bring food to my home.

Excellent! I love Indian food and enjoy it on the buffet.

... I can't imagine it was exclsuively indian food for 5 days .. that seems a bit over the top.

You are right that it's not the only choice. Can't comment on other lines, but on RC they have a daily selection of Indian style foods in one part of the buffet.

I know there are 19 pages, but since someone decide to repost this old thread I can tell you if you go through the past posts here and ignore the complaining, you'll find pretty good descriptions of what is available.

• 3 weeks later...
I can't stand the smell of curries, and think that visually most Indian food looks like what came out if my dog's backside this morning. The combination makes it not something the least bit appealing.

As far as the chef's being from India, in my opinion that's just a cop out.

This is one of the rudest, most insulting things that I have ever read here on CC. I hope I never have to share a cruise ship with you.

This is one of the rudest, most insulting things that I have ever read here on CC. I hope I never have to share a cruise ship with you.

I wouldn't worry about it, most people are totally different behind the keyboard than they are in person... And since that person made that post about two years ago, I doubt they are reading the answers now.

That person is always posting rude replies and hardly ever responds. Like Indian food is the only cuisine that has sauced dishes in the brownish color family? That fake reason to me is a cop out. I understand many people find the smell of turmeric off putting. If that is the reason, just own up to it. Say you are afraid to eat it bc it smells strange and looks strange. Not that you have tried all Indian food and they are all nasty and look like dog diarrhea. Also, if my dog's poop looked soft like that, we'd be going to the vet!

I wouldn't worry about it, most people are totally different behind the keyboard than they are in person... And since that person made that post about two years ago, I doubt they are reading the answers now.

Well still I wouldn't want to find out. I wouldn't ever anyway, since she is too good for Caribbean cruises, and that's all I can afford!

It is my option. It's unfortunate that you think it is rude. Some people find the smell of cilantro disgusting or repulsive, I love the smell of it. To each their own.

Well still I wouldn't want to find out. I wouldn't ever anyway, since she is too good for Caribbean cruises, and that's all I can afford!

I have taken two Caribbean and one Bahamas cruise. Might take a southern itinerary in a couple of years. Instead of cruising Caribbean itineraries over and over, we take breaks between cruise vacations to be able to see the rest of the world.

That person is always posting rude replies and hardly ever responds. Like Indian food is the only cuisine that has sauced dishes in the brownish color family? That fake reason to me is a cop out. I understand many people find the smell of turmeric off putting. If that is the reason, just own up to it. Say you are afraid to eat it bc it smells strange and looks strange. Not that you have tried all Indian food and they are all nasty and look like dog diarrhea. Also, if my dog's poop looked soft like that, we'd be going to the vet!

You make a lot of assumptions about my dog's health and my care of him.

I am not afraid to eat strange foods. I will not however, eat something with an aroma that makes my stomach turn.

It is my option. It's unfortunate that you think it is rude. Some people find the smell of cilantro disgusting or repulsive, I love the smell of it. To each their own.

I agree you are entitled to your opinion. I also understand that not everyone likes all foods. We all have our preferences, our likes and dislikes. What I find rude beyond belief is dismissing an entire cultures cuisine as "dog excrement". You can dislike something and voice that opinion - freedom of speech. How you expressed that opinion speaks volumes.

I agree you are entitled to your opinion. I also understand that not everyone likes all foods. We all have our preferences, our likes and dislikes. What I find rude beyond belief is dismissing an entire cultures cuisine as "dog excrement". You can dislike something and voice that opinion - freedom of speech. How you expressed that opinion speaks volumes.

You obviously missed the word "most." And I guess your dog is so perfect that it never gets sick. Unfortunately mine has a sensitive stomach and more often than either of us like, what comes out does resemble many Indian foods, particularly curries. For the record, he is on medication and a special diet, but it isn't 100% foolproof.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me first apologize for not reading 19 pages of responses.

IMHO, the reason Indian is chosen is because of Staff. Most of the staff is from Indian and Philippines (1,000+ people on a large cruise ship), including the cooking staff. So, if they are making food for staff, it is easy to scale it up a little more to offer a "vegetarian" dish for the customers. Plus, the cooking staff, being from India, is likely to have Indian food as one of the better (authentic) cuisines they make.

Edited by richmke