WHY Indian Food ?

block

I just go off the Explorer of the Seas and they devoted an entire section to just Indian food. Which started out small but then moved over to take over all the other areas of the buffet. By day 7 I had a hard time finding something that wasn't Indian Cuisine. It would have been a better fit for the buffet to have a build your own salad bar. Is it too much to ask for the cruise lines to alternate and not just cater to a single type of food every day? How about a veggie stir fry, Cheese enchiladas, etc.

Well perhaps it changed between June when this was posted as now (August), but I just got off Explorer of the Seas so having seen this posted, I wanted to comment again while it was fresh in my mind...

Breakfast (believe it or not) on one side of one buffet they had a daily veg curry and also sheera (a sweet dish that other members of my family said is the same texture as a firm corn meal pudding). I'll also add that right beside that was a Chinese breakfast of fried rice and veg and also congee. On the other side was an scrambled egg dish that appeared to be popular amongst the Indian pax, but I'm not sure if it was actually Indian or not.

At lunch there was *one* Indian veg curry dish on the buffet that changed every day. Beside it was steamed rice and daal, which I think was there every day. One day, there was also a meat dish in the line where they served things like hamburgers.

On several of the buffets there were other dishes that were not Indian, but not "traditional North American", either. For readers that happen to spot those, I would recommend the Jambalaya with blackened chicken and the chicken adobo.

FWIW: There was also a salad bar every day and build your own sandwich area almost every day.

I think the themes are more of a dinner thing and I can't comment on what was up for dinner because we ate in the MDR.

That's helpful info, but having worked in the food industry, I avoid buffets whenever possible. What they had previously to guy fierys here's yet ANOTHER burger joint, was wonderful Indian food behind glass that they prepared for you. Hot buttery Naan made before your eyes, several chutneys, authentic salads and entrees...and there was alwaysss a long longggg line. Burgers are probably much cheaper for them.

It is correct that a lot of British cruisers love Indian food as well as many vegetarians as it is a welcome change from bland pasta every night. We sometimes order the Indian vegetarian dish as a side at dinner. I happen to despise Mexican food, but if they want to serve tacos and nachos every day on the buffet I never have a problem finding something else to eat and certainly don't go around complaining about it.

Another thing to consider is that between 40-60% of the chefs on board are Indian!

Rereading your post brought up a question: Have you gone up to the owner/cook in said Indian restaurants and asked them if they would serve _this_ to their parents? Then tell them that you want "home-cookin'", not what tasteless slop the local "gora" (that's the Indian equivalent of "goyim" or "you ain't from 'round here") would accept. You can say that spice isn't that expensive. Then tell them not everybody in the US has dead tastebuds or noses, and some people can appreciate _real_ Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan flavors. If you get under their skin, you might get results.:cool:

BTW, have any of the lines started to serve pickle with their Indian buffet, yet? <wipes away a little bit of drool>:o

I have a curry on the stove tonight so it got me thinking of this thread! I found some pakora at Patels so don't need to mess about making it. Some popadoms and mango chutney will be enough for tonight with some garlic Naan.

The places round here just aren't interested in authenticity as there is a whole new load of tourists next week and the week after than and so on, so standards are low. I think you would find something added to your curry if you complained, and it won't be nice:D:D

I have a curry on the stove tonight so it got me thinking of this thread! I found some pakora at Patels so don't need to mess about making it. Some popadoms and mango chutney will be enough for tonight with some garlic Naan.

The places round here just aren't interested in authenticity as there is a whole new load of tourists next week and the week after than and so on, so standards are low. I think you would find something added to your curry if you complained, and it won't be nice:D:D

If you're feeling lazy about heating up oil to make pappadums, try this: spray them with cooking spray and nuke them in the microwave. It works and is a lot faster and less messy!:D

• 3 months later...

Just got off Carnival Splendor...ate at the Tandoor buffet every day and enjoyed the food. It was welcoming to have choices other than burgers, fries, pizza, sandwiches etc. which I can very easily get at home. It was wonderful to see so many people giving Indian food a try and then going back for seconds. I was very disappointed when my last two cruises did not have the Mongolian Grill because of my own poor research. This time I selected a ship which had the Mongolian Grill which would be my first choice and the Tandoor as a backup dining option, but I quickly abandoned the Mongolian Grill for Indian food. Everything tasted so good and was so flavorful; the butter chicken was great and so was the cheese and peas with the sauce, and lets not forget the naan. It would be great if it was also opened for dinner and I hope Carnival will extend this dining option to more ships. I loved it!

Just got off Carnival Splendor...ate at the Tandoor buffet every day and enjoyed the food. It was welcoming to have choices other than burgers, fries, pizza, sandwiches etc. which I can very easily get at home. It was wonderful to see so many people giving Indian food a try and then going back for seconds. I was very disappointed when my last two cruises did not have the Mongolian Grill because of my own poor research. This time I selected a ship which had the Mongolian Grill which would be my first choice and the Tandoor as a backup dining option, but I quickly abandoned the Mongolian Grill for Indian food. Everything tasted so good and was so flavorful; the butter chicken was great and so was the cheese and peas with the sauce, and lets not forget the naan. It would be great if it was also opened for dinner and I hope Carnival will extend this dining option to more ships. I loved it!

Another happy culinary discovery experience!:)

BTW, the Cheese and Peas dish is known as Mattar (the peas) Paneer (the cheese). Other terms to watch for are Palak or Saag (spinach), Aloo (potatoes), Gobi (cauliflower), Dal or Dahl (several kinds/colors of lentils), Rajmah (kidney beans), Chana (chickpeas), Gajar (carrot), Murgh (chicken), Bhindi (okra) and Baingan (eggplant). Often you'll see several together or one combined with a term usually describing the style--Korma (a milder-yet-complex cream-based sauce), Vindaloo (very hot spicing technique), Biriyani or Pilau (rice dish--think "pilaf"), Masala (a spice combination), Jalfrezi (a sort of spicy stir-fry), Tandoori (cooked in a tandoor oven) and Makhani (butter). Please note: This is a _VERY_ short list of the possibilities. Time to head to your local Indian/south Asian grocery store to do some homework, to savor the complex smells of the place (if you can't smell the spices, it's not a real Indian/south Asian grocery), and to pick up some things to try at home--they have lots of pre-cooked dishes both frozen and in pouches--great for lunch with a pouch of pre-cooked basmati rice or naan; you'll definitely attract the attention of your coworkers or a curious friend, or neighbor, or one of your kids. Make enough to share, you may find another fan of the cuisine!;)

Oh, and be careful, or soon you'll be trying out Indian recipes at home!:eek:;)

Edited by capncarp

• 2 weeks later...

We will take this old thread in a slightly different direction. Having cruised upon the vessels of 14 cruise lines we have found something common to nearly all! Yes, you will find Indian "stations" at the lunch buffet....but you will also find an "Asian" station and often a Tex-mex "station." DW (my favorite chef) just pointed out to me that all these cuisines have one thing in common. They are very cheap (on a per passenger basis) to produce. Unlike a decent sandwich "station" which can cost a lot of money (if they use decent meats) the Indian. Asian, and Mexican generally use very inexpensive raw materials.

Hank

There is also another economy led reason why these foods are on offer in buffets, they keep well for longer in Bain Marie's, as do the cheap, processed meat(?) hotdog sausages and burger patties that are so popular with so many American cruisers.

Pasta based dishes can also keep for a long time both hot or cold, served hot for one meal and if not consumed turned into a pasta salad...it's all about cost.

It's very much a cost led exercise when feeding a multi racial /cultural ships population be they passengers or crew, they're certainly never going to please all of the people all of the time.

Thankfully the cruise lines please most of the people, most of the time, the rest are often just going to complain whatever's dished up!

There is also another economy led reason why these foods are on offer in buffets, they keep well for longer in Bain Marie's, as do the cheap, processed meat(?) hotdog sausages and burger patties that are so popular with so many American cruisers.

Pasta based dishes can also keep for a long time both hot or cold, served hot for one meal and if not consumed turned into a pasta salad...it's all about cost.

It's very much a cost led exercise when feeding a multi racial /cultural ships population be they passengers or crew, they're certainly never going to please all of the people all of the time.

Thankfully the cruise lines please most of the people, most of the time, the rest are often just going to complain whatever's dished up!

Well spoken from the land of "Bangers and Mash," "Chip Butty's," "Pies," "Bubble and Squeak," etc. We will stick with our burgers (which are also pretty popular in the UK). On the other hand, we totally agree about many of the "processed meats," especially the total rubbish served at the Celebrity sandwich buffet at lunch (possibly the worst lunch meats we have ever experienced).

Hank

Hot dogs, processed meats, sausages, gross. Give me a high quality burger (like the ones at the Capital Grill with truffle fries) and I will enjoy it. But the mystery beef slabs served on the typical cruise ship, pass. Not all Americans enjoy crappy fast food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hot dogs, processed meats, sausages, gross. Give me a high quality burger (like the ones at the Capital Grill with truffle fries) and I will enjoy it. But the mystery beef slabs served on the typical cruise ship, pass. Not all Americans enjoy crappy fast food.

Just wondering if you bring all your own food when you cruise :). What you say is too true. But it applies to nearly everything on ships. Cheap cuts of beef run through commercial tenderizing machines and oversalted to fool the senses. Farmed, tasteless fish. We could go on and on. Frozen potato patties at breakfast. Boxed, liquid eggs which have been pasteurized to destroy any resemblance to a real egg. Speaking of eggs, on a recent HAL cruise I actually had the audacity to ask for an omelet to be made with real eggs. The cook quickly responded that he could not use real eggs for omelets or scrambled or might lose his job :). I had to settle for "over easy" since that was the only way to get a real egg!

Hank

Just wondering if you bring all your own food when you cruise :). What you say is too true. But it applies to nearly everything on ships. Cheap cuts of beef run through commercial tenderizing machines and oversalted to fool the senses. Farmed, tasteless fish. We could go on and on. Frozen potato patties at breakfast. Boxed, liquid eggs which have been pasteurized to destroy any resemblance to a real egg. Speaking of eggs, on a recent HAL cruise I actually had the audacity to ask for an omelet to be made with real eggs. The cook quickly responded that he could not use real eggs for omelets or scrambled or might lose his job :). I had to settle for "over easy" since that was the only way to get a real egg!

Hank

Try some different cruise lines. On Windstar the beef is excellent and high quality. No shoe leather steaks, and the hand made burgers (grilled on an outdoor grill in front of you) are chopped sirloin with about 10% fat--not the grisly pre made fat patties on most lines. They cook your omelette however you want--for me it's Egg Beaters with one fresh egg mixed in. No bacon rationing or running out of butter like I have heard about in other lines, and many ingredients are sourced fresh in each port by the chef every day. You can even go to the market with him--and they don't charge for that. I could see it now on Royal--$150 per person for a walking tour of the local market stalls with the chef.

Try some different cruise lines. On Windstar the beef is excellent and high quality. No shoe leather steaks, and the hand made burgers (grilled on an outdoor grill in front of you) are chopped sirloin with about 10% fat--not the grisly pre made fat patties on most lines. They cook your omelette however you want--for me it's Egg Beaters with one fresh egg mixed in. No bacon rationing or running out of butter like I have heard about in other lines, and many ingredients are sourced fresh in each port by the chef every day. You can even go to the market with him--and they don't charge for that. I could see it now on Royal--$150 per person for a walking tour of the local market stalls with the chef.

Good point. We have only been on 14 cruise lines (plus another yacht line) and around 65-70 (lost count) ships over forty+ years :). Windstar is a nice product, but does not have the evening entertainment that we often prefer on a cruise. But DW reminds me of a cruise on the small (300 passenger) Regent Spirit where we took a stroll with the Executive Chef in Nice France....and watched him buy some fresh fruit and veggies at the outdoor Flower Market. Rather then pay $150 per person, we helped him carry some of the fruit back to the ship....and he later bought us drinks for our "labor."

Times have changed.

Hank

Good point. We have only been on 14 cruise lines (plus another yacht line) and around 65-70 (lost count) ships over forty+ years :). Windstar is a nice product, but does not have the evening entertainment that we often prefer on a cruise. But DW reminds me of a cruise on the small (300 passenger) Regent Spirit where we took a stroll with the Executive Chef in Nice France....and watched him buy some fresh fruit and veggies at the outdoor Flower Market. Rather then pay $150 per person, we helped him carry some of the fruit back to the ship....and he later bought us drinks for our "labor."

Times have changed.

Hank

Having spent a couple decades of our lives in the entertainment industry, we are both pretty well over "shows" unless they are the real deal--Broadway or the West End. Having worked with some of the most elite musical acts in the world, we find ship board acts to range from barely acceptable to terrible.

I don't say this to be condescending, but rather from the perspective of "it's hard to go back once you've been exposed to the best." Think about it, if you have always had a 600s/f balcony suite, it would be difficult to sail in a 120 s/f inside. If you grew up with a houseful of servants, it would be hard to make your own bed and clean your own bathroom. If you grew up on a farm always eating wonderful seasonally fresh food produced on your family farm, it would be hard to eat frozen dinners. If you had a job where you worked from home and had unlimited time off, it would be hard to go to the office everyday and get 10 days vacation a year.

At any rate, evening entertainment means nothing to us. Instead of Caribbean party ships, we are now choosing port intensive cruises where the day begins early and ends early, and is very active in between. (Our next planned cruises are the Baltics and Antarctica.)

But that is why there are different types of lines, something for everyone. :)

Well spoken from the land of "Bangers and Mash," "Chip Butty's," "Pies," "Bubble and Squeak," etc. We will stick with our burgers (which are also pretty popular in the UK). On the other hand, we totally agree about many of the "processed meats," especially the total rubbish served at the Celebrity sandwich buffet at lunch (possibly the worst lunch meats we have ever experienced).

Hank

DH and I are trying X for the first time in May. I am curious to see what their buffet sandwich offerings are like, if a seasoned cruiser like yourself gives them the thumbs down. But I know that being on a cruise there should be plenty of other options,I guess we will be trying something else. Lowering our lunch expectations - we aren't expecting fine roast beef or turkey sammies. Hopefully they have made to order stir fry in the buffet at lunch. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I haven't read this entire thread but I have to agree with the OP on Indian food. It's the in thing these days. I can't stand it. The funny thing is I love Mexican, love spicy, love hot and lots of seasoning. But Indian food, both Masala and Curries, are somewhat gross to me. Curry I think it may be the turmeric flavor. Can't figure out Masala. It may be a combo of coriander and cumin that they just put too much in. I like Cumin in chili but it seems different in Indian food, just too strong.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't read this entire thread but I have to agree with the OP on Indian food. It's the in thing these days. I can't stand it. The funny thing is I love Mexican, love spicy, love hot and lots of seasoning. But Indian food, both Masala and Curries, are somewhat gross to me. Curry I think it may be the turmeric flavor. Can't figure out Masala. It may be a combo of coriander and cumin that they just put too much in. I like Cumin in chili but it seems different in Indian food, just too strong.

As DW says, kind of, "Your tastebuds, your science experiment." No one can argue with you how you like or dislike flavor(s). May your culinary search through life bring you happy tastebuds!

• 1 month later...
Good discussion about Indian food.

By the way which cruiseline offers best Indian food and any any specific cruise?

Thank you

P&O UK carries a lot of Indian Cooks from Goa. Wonderful curries available for lunch and dinner in Buffets and MDR's. I am a curry freak and of the various cruise line curries, P&O UK ones have been best, authentic.:')

P&O UK carries a lot of Indian Cooks from Goa. Wonderful curries available for lunch and dinner in Buffets and MDR's. I am a curry freak and of the various cruise line curries, P&O UK ones have been best, authentic.:')

I can almost smell Heaven from here. Pardon me while I drool:

B^Þ~~~~~~~~~