WHY Indian Food ?

block

On 12/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, SimplyMarvie said:

We're just off the Serenade, where several of their head chefs are from India

Old threads never die.  They just go into hibernation.  

During my most recent cruise experiences, there does seem to be an increase in the number of chefs and cooks from India.  I have enjoyed the cuisine on all of these cruises.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, roomba920 said:

I used to not like it myself, but then gave it a chance. It's really delicious and so flavorful.

Open yourself up to new things.

Indian cuisine may be an acquired taste for those who first encounter it.  During a tour of India, our first night's dinner was an Indian cuisine buffet at the Le Meridien Hotel in New Delhi.  Many choices and most all were "new" to the members of my tour group and me.  Lots of Naan was consumed that evening; don't recall what I ate other than that, but it was not "bad", it was "different".

Our group had other dinners where there was a mix of Western and Indian cuisine.  The Indian dishes that I tried were OK.  

The Indian dishes that I have tried on Carnival's ships have been good.  But, Indian cuisine is not my first choice of cuisines that I have tried.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2018 at 1:34 PM, TBone2K said:

Resurrecting an old thread is generally bad form unless you are following up on the original question.

The thread is that old but it's been shuffled along regularly with relatively frequent new postings. The original topic is still fresh--and the answers and comments are still on topic, although I think the general tone of responses are not quite what the O.P. intended.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, rkacruiser said:

How can one not enjoy Tandoori Chicken?  

I am somewhat of a "bread" lover.  Croissants are always my favorite when I have a chance to order some.  But, Naan?  Delicious!  

I only wish that there were a tandoor oven on my next cruise!  The tandoori chicken I have tasted on the major lines is a pallid oven baked version that bears no resemblance to real tandoori.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The tandoori chicken I have tasted on the major lines is a pallid oven baked version that bears no resemblance to real tandoori.  

I don't remember which Carnival ship where I ordered Tandoori Chicken from the Indian section of the restaurant, but, it was good.  Was it like what I tasted in India?  Not being a connoisseur of Indian cuisine, I thought it was.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't remember which Carnival ship where I ordered Tandoori Chicken from the Indian section of the restaurant, but, it was good.  Was it like what I tasted in India?  Not being a connoisseur of Indian cuisine, I thought it was.  

Then your Carnival chicken was surely cooked in a real tandoor!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have met quite a few Indian crew members over the years, and had some interesting conversations.

Our experiences with Indian food on ships has been very good, too.

On Grandeur of the Seas a few years ago, the vegetarian entree the first night must have been a curry, because after dinner an Indian chef came to our table and asked me if I enjoyed it.  I told him I did.  After that, he sent out an Indian dish for me each night, along with what I ordered.

On MSC Seaside, we had an Indian waiter.  He asked if we'd like a curry one night.  We would.  On the evening of our choice, the AHW brought us a tray with two curries and a number of accompaniments.  We learned that they were from the crew dining room.  They were excellent.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On my recent west coast departure many, many of the guests were of Indian ancestry.  As a matter of fact many, many guests, perhaps even a majority were of Asian ancestry.  This is the United States, the land of immigrants.  As possibly the lone Cajun-transplanted to Texas, onboard I appreciated the spicy offerings 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mary229 said:

This is the United States, the land of immigrants.

For reasons that I fail to understand,  some of our fellow citizens seem not to remember (know) this.  Yet, we enjoy the service, the friendliness, the kindness of other nationalities when we sail on the ships on which they serve.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Swath said:

I wonder how good the Indian food on Anthem will be according to the Royal App It will be available every night in the MDR on the 29 October 22 Sailing

Interesting.  We have sailed on Enchantment several times this year.  Indian dishes were evident in the buffet every lunchtime and most breakfasts, and as the theme one evening.  I don't recall seeing many on the main MDR menu in the evening, although we were treated to some by our lovely Indian waiter, who knew we wanted to try them.  All were good!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swath said:

I wonder how good the Indian food on Anthem will be according to the Royal App It will be available every night in the MDR on the 29 October 22 Sailing

Perhaps the ship's Executive Chef is Indian?  If so, you will be in for some culinary treats, I predict.  

19 hours ago, Swath said:

Looking Forward to it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

Please return to this thread and provide a report.  Thanks.  

The Indian Food was ONLY Planned as part of the Trans-Atlantic Menu done before the 29 OCT 2022 Cruise.  BUT my Mother & I Requested Indian Food 3 nights of the 8 Night 29 OCT to 05 NOV 2022

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Swath said:

We did not ask about Naan

When I dined at one Indian restaurant, I cared not for most of their foods and ate much Naan.  It was good!  The other foods would have caused me some gastric distress, I thought, if I ate much of them.