WHY Indian Food ?

block

Count me in as one who loves it... I had a Chicken Tikka Masala on the Carnival Glory last year that was amonst the best I've ever had. To die for!!

If you don't like it, don't eat it :p

(then there's more for us!)

Amen to that!I never met a Chicken Tikka Masala I didn't like!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I think one of the reasons is because a lot of british people go on Carnival, and Indian food is really big there. If you notice alot of times in the morning they have beans and some kind of puff pastry meat thing. Very delicious and very british! I was on the Splendor in February, and they have a separate Indian buffet at lunch and that was it. I personally loved it, but for those who don't there where TONS of other options.

I am sorry its not your thing, but for those of us who like it, its a real treat!

YESSSSS this is very true. And the Dream does have a Middle Eastern section by the pool with different entrees each day. Tika, Mahkni, Tandoori, Roti... What is the same are the sides which are NOT all Indian. There is Nan bread/pitas Tzatziki yogurt sauce (Greece), Hummus (Lebanon), olives, grilled veggies, chick pea salad etc....

It may not be your favorite & no one is forcing you to eat it. Someone who is a "foodie" may give the same ignorant comment about typical boring pizza & burgers being offered every day.

You're on a cruise vacation, really? There is plenty other food to choose from. Enjoy your cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
It just looks sloppy....and I do like ethnic foods not just Italian (LOL)... Love thai ! I really don't like curry and indian food just seems like melted mush with curry on it.:eek: I live in NY and have all the finest ethnic food available to me..as well as indian friends...just can't eat the food...or be in a home for that long where it is being prepared.

So...There is more for you to enjoy. please just don't make me eat it 4 out 5 days:mad:

Umm, Thai food has Curry, Red, Green, Masaman. Indian food is certainly not all curry.

I have said it before and will say it again! I love Indian food!. I prefer the lesser of the spicy dishes, but there are plenty of those too. When I am on a 7 or 8 day cruise, I like variety, and will enjoy a burger or a hotdog once or twice in that length of time, but whether at lunch, buffet or dinner, I am always happy to have other options, and on the Freedom, I loved the Indian station at the aft deck for lunch. Just me, but I like well flavored food, and like variety. Again just me, but, for instance, Im not all that fond of the deli counter, but I dont find that I need to complain about it. So many other options, that it is a non issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a great "Indian food" experience on the RCI Enchantment. DH got addicted (that is putting it nicely) to the chicken curry in the Wind Jammer (which was REALLY good in my opinion). We mentioned it to our head waiter since we had questions about it (he was from India). He not only answered our questions but made sure every night for the rest of the cruise when we dined in the dining room my DH had his own small bowl of curry with rice and dosa delivered. :D

I'm always happy when Indian food is one of my dining selections, especially on a cruise.

Our local Indian restaurant produces food that can be prepared on a sliding scale (3 to 10) of spicy--DW and I like ours around a 5-7--just tangy enough to make your lips tingle, but not burn your sinuses out. This allows those with timid palates or sensitive tongues to try some of the various dishes without becoming overwhelmed.

I've made comparisons between the spice of Mexican or Tex-Mex food and Indian food: some people make their Mexican food HOT--it's like sticking a torch in your mouth. I personally don't enjoy the pain of overdoing the jalapenos or habaneros in my chili.

Indian food, on the other hand, is more like sticking a 1000-watt lightbulb in your mouth--warm,yes, but the sensation is more "illuminating" or "stimulating" than it is necessarily "hot".

Anyone gotten hooked on any of the various pickles/chutneys available? Mixed, Onion, and Garlic pickles and coriander chutney are my favorite. DW loves pickled limes and coconut chutney. I've turned some of my co-workers on to Mixed pickle--I often bring in a large can of it and some flatbread or pita, and away we go!

LOL. Indian food is okay. But if they are serving for one hell week, then that would be ridiculous. Oh wait, have you checked the cruise? Maybe its an Indian themed cruise, LOL. i hope its not.

:)I think that is one of the better (assuming unintentional) malopropisms I have seen. (It would only be a hell week for people who can't stomach Indian food, but decide to eat it anyway.)

Actually, as many people have already posted in this thread, it seems to be quite common to have a choice of Indian food every day. So not as ridiculous as it might sound. So if you don't like it, I would suggest you had better check the cruise first, or check your comments.

Much of the food in the buffets is pretty bland. Most Indian dishes are anything, but, bland. It is nice to get something that has a bit of spice. I like Indian food -- It's about time.

The Indian Food On Ships is REALLY toned down It HARDLY HAS any Spice

The Indian Food On Ships is REALLY toned down It HARDLY HAS any Spice

Swath has a point in that shipboard Indian offerings may not achieve their true potential in richness and intensity of flavor:(.

BUT...

This can also be viewed as a blessing in disguise:

The inquisitive soul who may be trying Indian/Thai/whatever cuisine for the first time may be able to appreciate the exotic character of the flavorings without being overwhelmed by a more intense exposure. Sort of like my experience with Indian Pickle--once I got over the shock of the unfamiliar, I actually eventually grew to like it.

And, to me, like a bad day cruising, a mild dish of Indian food is better than a boring commonplace meal anytime.

The inquisitive soul who may be trying Indian/Thai/whatever cuisine for the first time may be able to appreciate the exotic character of the flavorings without being overwhelmed by a more intense exposure. Sort of like my experience with Indian Pickle--once I got over the shock of the unfamiliar, I actually eventually grew to like it.

And, to me, like a bad day cruising, a mild dish of Indian food is better than a boring commonplace meal anytime.

SO TRUE!!!!! I like the simple stuff, so when I see naan, tikka & tandoori I am in heaven!

Swath has a point in that shipboard Indian offerings may not achieve their true potential in richness and intensity of flavor:(.

BUT...

This can also be viewed as a blessing in disguise:

I wish that they would make Indian that is between MILD & MED

Used to Indian Food the ONLY Reason to east Ship Indian Food Is for the Flavour

• 1 month later...

Cruise ship Indian food will be batch cooked, any restaurant that serve the same main ingredient in a hot, medium or mild gravy is not authentic.The spicing of the dish has to be balanced against the strength of the flavor of the meat or fish.Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in the UK.

Batch cooked Madras or Jalfresi etc are very tasty and quick if done properly but nothing like the authentic version.

I will explain how to batch cook at home if anyone is interested.

Cruise ship Indian food will be batch cooked, any restaurant that serve the same main ingredient in a hot, medium or mild gravy is not authentic.

It might not have been authentic, but it was still good! As another poster already said, they tone it down, but I didn't hear the Indian people complaining. The ones I spoke with said it was a nice touch.

To the point, most of their food is "inspired", not "authentic". To that point, my mother in law was horrified at what was on the dessert bar labelled as "English Triffle" (yes, they spelled it that way).

Don't mind it once and true......if you don't like it don't eat it!

But the stuff is so pungent that the smell can overwhelm everything else around it.

Give it a room of it's own and then enter and eat to your hearts content but please shut the door behind you!:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
Please save the daggers.

What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry ...I hope they don't serve in morning noon and night.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it ??

Please tell me I will only see it 1 day on my next trip? (ncl-jewel)

I couldn't agree more. Indian food is like diarrhea on a plate.:eek: Disgusting stuff. Veggies are so over cooked they become mush slathered in spice to attempt to hide how disgusting it is...fail.

• 1 month later...

I love almost all food including Indian food. My youngest son wouldn't touch it for years. He said it looked "mysterious". I think his aversion was that it looked more like a weird beef stew and he couldn't identify the separate ingredients. I made chicken curry for him not telling him it was curry. It was just a good curry sauce with chicken breast served over Jasmin rice. He loved it!!!! A while later while he was helping me in the kitchen, he saw the jar of curry paste and asked - I told him it was "middle eastern" food. We then started adding a few vegetables here and there and one day (when he was 18 years old), I told him he was eating curry. It was just so foreign to a kid who was used to burgers, corn and sliced tomatoes for dinner - not many mixed ingredients that he was put off.

I love the Indian dishes on Carnival and although the basics are the same, they mix up the vegetables each night to give it a little different flair. I'll try to post some photos if I can find them

That is fine, but why the same thing so often. The food theme should represent the area that you are in. In Mexico? Serve Mexican, In Jamica? Serve Jamacan etc... Even so... Yuck with so much Indian food.

I love that idea. They should throw in some themed food. I went to Mexico on carnival and ate always in the mdr. It might have been nice to see a little Mexican food. I'm doing new England in sept and think it. Would be fun if they did lobster and chowders in a new England style.