Different prices for different states?

I was thinking of upgrading to a balconey for our cruise on Voyager in 3 weeks. I checked Expedia to see which cabins were available and found lower prices for certain states. Can someone tell me why this is so? If I lived in Alabama or Kentucky for instance the two cabins I am interested in would be $500 less than I will have to pay in Arkansas. Thanks!!

The cruiselines often offer "resident rates" for some states and not others. You do have to provide identification at the pier and I have heard of people being charged extra if they did not qualify for the resident rate they booked into.

They do it all the time, have residential state specials. Most of the time it is for Florida resident's on the east coast and for California. Nevada resident's for cruises leaving on the west coast. Also they have senior rates where you need to show id for over 55. Our room was less than our friends are are online TA booked us into one of the special rates

I understand that they offer the different rates, I am trying to understand why. The prices are different for the same cabins. You pay your way to the terminal. Some states where these rates are offered are closer to Miami than I am and some are much further away. I guess I just don't understand how geography enters into pricing since you leave form th same port and have the same services etc.

I don't remember the exact pricing. But when I entered KY as my place of residence I think the D2 cabin came up $1359 pp, I was quoted $1542 from RCCL.

Archived