QM2 4th of may four nighter questions

K3nn7

Hey fellow cunarders

I'm thinking of doing the four nighter out of Hamburg on the 4th of may with a friend of mine. Do anyone have the slightest idea if there will be any formal nights on such a trip?

Hey fellow cunarders

I'm thinking of doing the four nighter out of Hamburg on the 4th of may with a friend of mine. Do anyone have the slightest idea if there will be any formal nights on such a trip?

I would think that the second night will be formal. The sail down the Elbe on QM2 is wonderful, about 30,000 turn out each time to wave, cheer and generally celebrate the sailing. This happens all along the river and about 20 miles downstream there is a hotel and as the ship sails past, the staff are at every windom waving bedsheets out of them. Quite strange but a lot of fun.

Hey fellow cunarders

Hi K3nn7

BOOK IT! I've sailed in and out of Hamburg on Queen Mary 2 and it was a fantasic experience, as the cap'n says, thousands line the banks and the whole city seems to turn out! We had fireworks to see us off and an amazing party atmosphere on board, I've done quite a few sailaways on QM2 over the years but none like Hamburg!

When QM2 leaves Hamburg on the 8th she starts a transatlantic crossing via Southampton, she is sure to have a great send off for that!

I've loads of pictures of QM2, both inside and out, including several taken on my Hamburg trip, via the link below.

Have a great time, very best wishes and Bon Voyage!

When I sailed the 4 night Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton in '08 there were two formal nights.

This is always a fantastic voyage- especially if you can brave the cold and the early hours to see the Commodore turn QM2 on a sixpence halfway down the Elbre. And you wont be the only one up- as others have pointed out the banks of the river are lined with people on arrival and departure- certainly the best send off for any cruise I have been on

Book it and have fun!!:D

When I sailed the 4 night Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton in '08 there were two formal nights.

Was it like a usual TA? I'm used to the neat dressing of tuxedos, so just want to know if i should pack it, and also what i should advice my friend to wear!

• 1 month later...
Just booked the 8 night May 2 out of Southampton. The only formal night is May 5. Semi-formal nights are May 3, May 6, and May 9. Elegant casual nights are May 2, May 4, May 7 and May 8. Hope that helps!!

Hi Flying Circus - we are also booked on the 8 night - have you received your voyage information already? Great that 5 May is formal night as it is my father's 80th birthday!

I would think that the second night will be formal. The sail down the Elbe on QM2 is wonderful, about 30,000 turn out each time to wave, cheer and generally celebrate the sailing. This happens all along the river and about 20 miles downstream there is a hotel and as the ship sails past, the staff are at every windom waving bedsheets out of them. Quite strange but a lot of fun.

Many people have said this before about the QM2 out of Hamburg. We got nothing like this when we were on QV. We sat in the (empty and smoke free) cigar room all the way down the river. It was lovely to watch the scenery though (even the numerous wind farms).

Many people have said this before about the QM2 out of Hamburg. We got nothing like this when we were on QV. We sat in the (empty and smoke free) cigar room all the way down the river. It was lovely to watch the scenery though (even the numerous wind farms).

It is quite bizarre, but the send off is limited to QM2 only, not QV or QE. No one can offer a real explanation for this, other than QM2 is an ocean liner and lots of Germans sailed from Hamburg to the USA etc in the old days. This makes sense but can't be viewed as strictly authoratitive. It is good enough for me though. :):confused::)

Archived