1-day Hanoi tour from Halong Bay . . . Is it worth the time?

ZeeKay

Your Hanoi experience would be most appreciated!!!

We are on a Costa Cruise which stops for a night at Halong Bay. We have 2 options for tours at this port stop:

(1) Land and boat tours right in the Halong Bay area; or

(2) Land tours into Hanoi City which is 3.5+ hours away by bus or car.

Is the 4-hour trek (in both directions) to Hanoi worth doing? Or, is it better to stay & tour in Halong Bay???

Any insight on your Hanoi touring experience?

Regards,

Zeke and Barbara

Edited by ZeeKay

We spent 3 nights in Hanoi as part of a land trip in November, and did the 3.5 hour drive to Halong Bay for an overnight there.

The drive is a long one on busy roads that take you through many villages, but also past a lot of rice fields ... so a chance to see rural life in Vietnam. Hanoi itself is definitely worth seeing, however, to me, it seems like too long of a drive for one day, but if this is your only chance to see Hanoi, then worth considering. What activities do they list for your time there?

Halong Bay is spectacular (especially if you have a clear day) ... it was one of the highlights of our trip. Is the choice a land or water tour there, or a combination (wasn't sure from your description)?

With only one day there, it's a difficult choice. I would do some research on both places to see what appeals to you most. Based on our experience, I would probably choose Halong Bay, but whatever choice I made, I would be disappointed to miss the other ... a common dilemma with cruising.:)

• Like 1

We had a day and a half in Halong Bay, so we were able to do tours of both. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to visit Hanoi and the drive there was fascinating. Quite and experience. If you will also be going to Ho Chi Minh City, you could probably do Halong Bay instead of Hanoi; since you will get to experience Vietnam there. Additionally you will be seeing Halong Bay while you come into it from the ship, so a tour isn't totally required, unless you want to experience more of it. You can see lots of photos from our SE Asia trip including our Halong Bay and Hanoi excursions on our website www.thepreismans.com.

Hello Susan, Hello Mike,

Thank you both for your thoughtful comments!

Our ship (Costa Classica) arrives at 9h00 on Day-1 and overnights in Halong. We sail at 13h00 the next day. We are thinking about: (a) taking an independant Hanoi tour for Day-1 . .. though we are put off by the travel time to and from Hanoi. And then, (b) taking the ship's sponsored Halong Bay (mostly boat) tour on Day-2, our sail away day. We are reluctant to do an independant tour on the half day before a 13h00 sailing time.

What do you think . . . enough in the Hanoi itinerary to justify the 8-hour RT drive to Hanoi? (see Itinerary Below) OR, should we simply make the most our of day and a half in Halong Bay by doing more than just a half-day Halong tour?

Thanks,

Zeke

ITINERARY: Hanoi 1-Day City tour from Halong Bay:

9am : Pick you up at the ferry station; meet our guide in Hanoi.

Around 1pm : Arrive Temple of Literature. This is the combination of the Confucius Temple worshiping Confucius which was built in 1070 and the first Royal National university in Vietnam built 6 years later in 1076. Considered as “an escape” from the bustling city, this temple and its beautiful garden provide an opportunity to learn more about education in Vietnam since 1000 years ago until recent history.

2.30pm : Visit Ho Chi Minh’s museum, his house on stilt, the botanical garden and the Presidential palace. After 1954 it was named the Presidential Palace and became the place where Ho Chi Minh lived and worked until he passed away in1 969. Visit One Pillar pagoda.

4.30pm: Visit the Old Quarter , Hoan Kiem lake (Restored Sword lake) and Ngoc Son temple.

6pm : Dinner at local restaurant

7pm : Return drive to cruise ship. (Halong) The trip ends

I would think your schedule would work out fine. The highlight of our visit to Hanoi was our Cyclo ride through the Old Quarter of Hanoi. It was quite an experience and we are so glad we did it.

We like to see as much as possible when we are in a port, so the 3.5 hour drive each way was well worth it us. Also, I think a full day and a half at Halong Bay would be too much of the same thing for us. Everything you will be seeing in Hanoi is on our website, so if you want to see those things, go for it.

We have just returned from an Azamara Quest Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. We had an overnight in Halong Bay and chose to do an independent tour which began with a Halong Bay cruise and then headed off to Hanoi arriving there in our minibus at 9.30pm having left at 5.30. We overnighted in Hanoi and spent a day touring - leaving at 3.30 pm to ensure we were back at the ship by 7.30 for 8pm sailing.

We would not advise a day trip unless it is booked through the ship - traffic delays do occur regularly we were told and with the poor driving standards evident this is not a surprise. Four hours each way now seems the norm.

Personally we would find a day trip much too tiring but Hanoi is well worth seeing. The Temple of Literature is fascinating as is the Peoples Army Museum and the streets of the old French Quarter. We chose to give the HCM Museum a miss.

Halong Bay is outstanding to visit although cold and damp when we were there but it is only a half day's destination.

Ian

We have just returned from an Azamara Quest Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. We had an overnight in Halong Bay and chose to do an independent tour which began with a Halong Bay cruise and then headed off to Hanoi arriving there in our minibus at 9.30pm having left at 5.30. We overnighted in Hanoi and spent a day touring - leaving at 3.30 pm to ensure we were back at the ship by 7.30 for 8pm sailing.

We would not advise a day trip unless it is booked through the ship - traffic delays do occur regularly we were told and with the poor driving standards evident this is not a surprise. Four hours each way now seems the norm.

Personally we would find a day trip much too tiring but Hanoi is well worth seeing. The Temple of Literature is fascinating as is the Peoples Army Museum and the streets of the old French Quarter. We chose to give the HCM Museum a miss.

Halong Bay is outstanding to visit although cold and damp when we were there but it is only a half day's destination.

Ian

Welcome back Ian. Did you enjoy your cruise?

Hi Zeke,

I would choose the combination of Hanoi on the first day and Halong Bay on the second morning. Yes, it's a long drive to/from Hanoi, but it will be an interesting drive there and you'll probably snooze on the way back after your long day. It does cover enough in Hanoi to make it worthwhile. As Mike mentions, staying for the day and a half in Halong Bay might be too much of the same thing.

We are on a Costa Cruise which stops for a night at Halong Bay. We have 2 options for tours at this port stop:

Is the 4-hour trek (in both directions) to Hanoi worth doing? Or, is it better to stay & tour in Halong Bay???

Regards,

Zeke and Barbara

If you are used to sitting 3hrs in the car one way, the tour to Hanoi is quite nice.

Its value is like bringing you back to the old past of Vietnam. You haven't stopped wondering about the scenes on the way you find yourself in Hanoi, 1,000 year-old town. Same pleasure as getting off from widescreen movies for B/W films in 1920s.

Edited by saigonman

Regards,

Zeke and Barbara

I think we are doing a similar trip on the Costa later this year. We have been Hanoi and Halong Bay previously and are looking forward to going back to the Old Quarter in Hanoi which is fascinating even though it will be a long trip there and back. How have your other shore excursions gone? Any problems organising them? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

If you have a day and a half in port at Halong Bay then you should do both which are spectacular in their own right .

On your full day do the Tour to Hanoi which is a wonderful city with still a great French influence .

On your half day do the Halong Bay Cruise tour .

Simple.

• 1 month later...
Hello Susan, Hello Mike,

Thank you both for your thoughtful comments!

Our ship (Costa Classica) arrives at 9h00 on Day-1 and overnights in Halong. We sail at 13h00 the next day. We are thinking about: (a) taking an independant Hanoi tour for Day-1 . .. though we are put off by the travel time to and from Hanoi. And then, (b) taking the ship's sponsored Halong Bay (mostly boat) tour on Day-2, our sail away day. We are reluctant to do an independant tour on the half day before a 13h00 sailing time.

What do you think . . . enough in the Hanoi itinerary to justify the 8-hour RT drive to Hanoi? (see Itinerary Below) OR, should we simply make the most our of day and a half in Halong Bay by doing more than just a half-day Halong tour?

Thanks,

Zeke

ITINERARY: Hanoi 1-Day City tour from Halong Bay:

9am : Pick you up at the ferry station; meet our guide in Hanoi.

Around 1pm : Arrive Temple of Literature. This is the combination of the Confucius Temple worshiping Confucius which was built in 1070 and the first Royal National university in Vietnam built 6 years later in 1076. Considered as “an escape” from the bustling city, this temple and its beautiful garden provide an opportunity to learn more about education in Vietnam since 1000 years ago until recent history.

2.30pm : Visit Ho Chi Minh’s museum, his house on stilt, the botanical garden and the Presidential palace. After 1954 it was named the Presidential Palace and became the place where Ho Chi Minh lived and worked until he passed away in1 969. Visit One Pillar pagoda.

4.30pm: Visit the Old Quarter , Hoan Kiem lake (Restored Sword lake) and Ngoc Son temple.

6pm : Dinner at local restaurant

7pm : Return drive to cruise ship. (Halong) The trip end s

It will be back to ship little late but alright, who make up the shore excursions for you ? should work with local travel in Hanoi or Halong

Cheers

Edited by phupd

• 3 weeks later...

I live and work in the Halong Bay area.

There is nothing of interest in Halong Bay that you won't already see from your ship.

It's a long, dusty, bumpy trip from there to Hanoi, but Hanoi is a very exciting place.

Great restaurants, great hotels, great shopping, great sightseeing.

There is a helicopter transfer service between Hanoi and Halong Bay.

You shouild look into it.

Edited by Philip217

We spent about three weeks in Vietnam three years ago, and what we would suggest is either spend the day out on the Bay. Of all the places in the world we have been Halong Bay rates as one of the top five. It was not only the scenery (which was spectacular) but the total experience. We spent 3 days, two nights on the Ginger Junk. Their attention to detail was phenomenal. But this is not at the same level as lets say a 6 star cruise, but just as enjoyable. Most of the ships travel to the same spots but take different routes in the process. So picking the right ship is important. You would have to arrange this by charter and organize as many people as you can. But I am sure that others would be interested in doing this and you could get a good enough group. Just to give you an idea of what you could see is after cruising the islands they usually stop at one for a possible swim and hike up to the top to see the overlook of the area. Then with ours it was off to a fish farm and indigenous native tribe, before going to a secluded tour of a cave which opened up to a private enclosed lake. Then almost all pars took in some swimming, and kayaking. We were on a two day cruise of the area so the next morning again we set sail for another island where the cave was immense, and took a walking tour through it to see the stalagmites.

Another option would be to see the Perfume Pagoda which is about a hour ride from the dock. Then they transfer you to a paddle boat for about 3/4 of a hour before arriving at the area. Then up to the cave where the pagoda is (which is a shrine), before returning for lunch. and returning thereafter. This is a great way to see the countryside, the rice patties, etc. This could be arranged with a guide, again the more the better.

Anyways hope that helps you,

We just returned from our cruise to Vietnam. We did the day trip to Hanoi and the next day we did a half day cruise on Halong Bay. Personally, I would not do the day trip to Hanoi-----it was almost four hours each way on a very bumpy road with very bad traffic. We had already been to Saigon and DaNang and we found both of those cities far more interesting than Hanoi. So we spent almost 8 hours in the car to spend about four hours in Hanoi. The Temple of Literature was interesting but not worth the long drive. We loved the half day cruise on Halong Bay. We used a private guide through Mrs Ha (Vietland Tours) and we were able to visit the caves on Heaven Island which we thoroughly enjoyed. The only people that seemed to enjoy their trip to Hanoi were those who spent the night in Hanoi and came back the next day.

into it. It is the only way it will work for me.

The commercial service that is available at a REASONABLE price is only available on Saturdays. About $450RT pp The trip will ONLY fly if there is a minimum of 15 people. Does not include a tour on a junk. ONLY transport. You have to get yourself to the heliport in Hanoi. I looked into this a year ago for one of my many trips to the ports to check on my containers for shipping.

The CHARTER service including a 4 hour tour of Halong Bay on a junk starts at about $5000 for one person and decreases to about $1100pp for 6 people on a 6 person helo. You can get the price down to about $7-800.00pp if you can round up from 14-24 people for transport on the large helo.

Don't know how this would work with a cruise. The helo would have to fly four times-Hanoi-Halong-Hanoi-Halong instead of just Hanoi-Halong-Hanoi. One leg would be MT to position the helo in Halong for cruise passengers. I am sure it could be done but the cost would be astronomical due to the MT leg, particularly if you wanted to stay overnight in Hanoi.

When I inquired a year ago, I called the travel agent I use out of Garden Grove, CA for their drivers and interpreters on my business trips. They quoted me over $5500 for one days use of the helo for myself and two others-Hanoi-Haiphong (wait for me for about 6 hours while I conduct business) then return to Hanoi. Couldn't even figure out how to write that off. Back to the long drive.

This year there is a new helo service between Hanoi and Halong Bay. Smaller helicopters.

There is no minimum number of pax required.

They fly 7 days a week.

R/T Hanoi-Halong is around US$300 per person.

Unless something has significantly changed since August 2010 when I inquired again while I was in Haiphong, the helo for transport ONLY runs on Saturdays only-small or big helo. Here are just a few of the tour agencies offering the trip-with and without junk trip. And I emailed my port contact-he stated the same thing-charter except for Saturdays (he called it "tourist day"). You have to round up a group of people to make it financially feasible any other day.

http://www.charmingindochina.com/en/tour/ha-long-bay-tour-helicopter-service

http://www.vietnam-car.com/rental/Vietnam-charter-flight.asp

http://www.luxurytravelvietnam.com/EN/Vietnam_tours/Vietnamcruises/HalongBaybyHelicopter1dayEverySaturday.htm

You still have to fly MT one way to use the helo FROM the ship. Unless you drive in from Halong, I see no way other than a charter-Hanoi-Halong (pick up passengers)-Hanoi-Halong. Then the helo STILL has to get back to Hanoi, MT or loaded.

This sounds like a good business opportunity for someone-take the regular "tourist" passengers TO Halong, pick up the cruise ship passengers bound for Hanoi, go back either MT or loaded with other passengers, take the original tourists back to Hanoi and pick up the cruise ship passengers. Only one MT leg that way.

If there are other options, I sure would like to know about them. I will be in Vietnam again this summer for business. That long trip from Hanoi to the ports is getting very tiring and longer and longer.

• 1 year later...
Unless something has significantly changed since August 2010 when I inquired again while I was in Haiphong, the helo for transport ONLY runs on Saturdays only-small or big helo. Here are just a few of the tour agencies offering the trip-with and without junk trip. And I emailed my port contact-he stated the same thing-charter except for Saturdays (he called it "tourist day"). You have to round up a group of people to make it financially feasible any other day.

http://www.charmingindochina.com/en/tour/ha-long-bay-tour-helicopter-service

http://www.vietnam-car.com/rental/Vietnam-charter-flight.asp

http://www.luxurytravelvietnam.com/EN/Vietnam_tours/Vietnamcruises/HalongBaybyHelicopter1dayEverySaturday.htm

You still have to fly MT one way to use the helo FROM the ship. Unless you drive in from Halong, I see no way other than a charter-Hanoi-Halong (pick up passengers)-Hanoi-Halong. Then the helo STILL has to get back to Hanoi, MT or loaded.

This sounds like a good business opportunity for someone-take the regular "tourist" passengers TO Halong, pick up the cruise ship passengers bound for Hanoi, go back either MT or loaded with other passengers, take the original tourists back to Hanoi and pick up the cruise ship passengers. Only one MT leg that way.

If there are other options, I sure would like to know about them. I will be in Vietnam again this summer for business. That long trip from Hanoi to the ports is getting very tiring and longer and longer.

It's being a year since your post. Did you find out something different about the heli ride? We are interested in doing it but the cruise is there on a Wednesday

This year there is a new helo service between Hanoi and Halong Bay. Smaller helicopters.

There is no minimum number of pax required.

They fly 7 days a week.

R/T Hanoi-Halong is around US$300 per person.

Where can I go to find out about this service, unable to find anything that is NOT on a Saturday

• 2 years later...

I am resurrecting this old thread as we are trying to decide what to do with our time at the Halong Bay cruise port. We dock at 7 AM and the ship departs at 2 PM the following day.

Some others on our roll call have organized day 1 full-day Hanoi tour and day 2 Halong Bay cruise. I am hesitant to do the full Hanoi round trip in 1 day.

Option 2 is booking our own 2 day excursion to Hanoi and overnighting there.

Option 3 is to skip Hanoi entirely and do 2 local tours in Halong Bay.

We are torn as the long drive really does not sound appealing (but perhaps not as big of a deal done over 2 days). We are also visiting Hue and HCMC during this cruise so it's not our only chance to see Vietnam, but I doubt we will be back in the future so Hanoi would be now or never.

Any insight for me? Thanks :)