1-day Hanoi tour from Halong Bay . . . Is it worth the time?

ZeeKay

in addition to all the comments made earlier in the thread I think the time of year you are there makes a difference too.

if the weather is fine and warm staying overnight on a junk and exploring the many small islands and caves is simply magical. if it is cold and rainy as it often is in December then swimming is out and even kayaking in and out of caves will not be enjoyable. (while your ship will sail PARTLY through Halong Bay it will not actually dock or anchor in the picturesque bay but at the very un-photogenic commercial port. only vietnamese junks are licensed to operate in the bay itself.)

i would like to highlight that depending on your operator and the size of your group (and only partly proportional to the cost of your tour) the four hour journey could be in an overcrowded and cramped minivan.

equally, how luxurious (or not) your overnight on a junk is will also depend on your budget, but you will have to do your research diligently to get the correct value for your money. While a low-price promises a budget experience, just looking for a high price is no guarantee of luxury. All operators will happily take as much money from you as you will willingly part with. Whether they are able to deliver up to your expectations is quite another matter.

• 1 month later...

We would likely decline to go on a Hanoi tour that included the Hanoi Hilton prison where American prisoners were tortured. I have heard that the guides there proclaim that the prisoners were well treated.

We would likely decline to go on a Hanoi tour that included the Hanoi Hilton prison where American prisoners were tortured. I have heard that the guides there proclaim that the prisoners were well treated.

You are probably correct on that. Our guide did not mention it. Although there was some fiction posted on the walls about how well they treated the American prisoners, most of the museum was devoted to the cruel treatment that the Vietnamese had received from the French. I did find that it was more interesting than I expected.

In viet nam and Cambodia in March. The weather was hot, hotter in Cambodia. Halong bay was lovely but I would opt for 2 days in Hanoi, staying overnight. The Hanoi Hilton was interesting...only the last 2 rooms were about the Americans. The sculptures were very well done and worthwhile. The Ho Chi Minh complex and gardens, the temple of literature and the fine arts museum, and the native market are all the reason to stay in Hanoi. Personally, I would have skipped the water ouppet show

Concluding, a ride through the old Hanoi quarter in a cyclo is something to see. The drivers are amazing since the traffic is coming at you from all directions. Known as 36 streets, it's a wonderful place for local life and that, after all, is why we travel.

Your Hanoi experience would be most appreciated!!!

We are on a Costa Cruise which stops for a night at Halong Bay. We have 2 options for tours at this port stop:

(1) Land and boat tours right in the Halong Bay area; or

(2) Land tours into Hanoi City which is 3.5+ hours away by bus or car.

Is the 4-hour trek (in both directions) to Hanoi worth doing? Or, is it better to stay & tour in Halong Bay???

Any insight on your Hanoi touring experience?

Regards,

Zeke and Barbara

You'd better take a two-day tour to Hanoi from Halong.

A day tour in Halong bay is second option, not a day tour to Hanoi.

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from our cruise to Vietnam. We did the day trip to Hanoi and the next day we did a half day cruise on Halong Bay. Personally, I would not do the day trip to Hanoi-----it was almost four hours each way on a very bumpy road with very bad traffic. We had already been to Saigon and DaNang and we found both of those cities far more interesting than Hanoi. So we spent almost 8 hours in the car to spend about four hours in Hanoi. The Temple of Literature was interesting but not worth the long drive. We loved the half day cruise on Halong Bay. We used a private guide through Mrs Ha (Vietland Tours) and we were able to visit the caves on Heaven Island which we thoroughly enjoyed. The only people that seemed to enjoy their trip to Hanoi were those who spent the night in Hanoi and came back the next day.

any other thoughts??? We will be in Halong bay twice Feb 4, and March 29

Edited by we're sailing away....

I am resurrecting this old thread as we are trying to decide what to do with our time at the Halong Bay cruise port. We dock at 7 AM and the ship departs at 2 PM the following day.

Some others on our roll call have organized day 1 full-day Hanoi tour and day 2 Halong Bay cruise. I am hesitant to do the full Hanoi round trip in 1 day.

Option 2 is booking our own 2 day excursion to Hanoi and overnighting there.

Option 3 is to skip Hanoi entirely and do 2 local tours in Halong Bay.

We are torn as the long drive really does not sound appealing (but perhaps not as big of a deal done over 2 days). We are also visiting Hue and HCMC during this cruise so it's not our only chance to see Vietnam, but I doubt we will be back in the future so Hanoi would be now or never.

Any insight for me? Thanks :)

I am currently in Vietnam on business. Usually have to come over here 2-3 times per year.

I am not enthralled with Hanoi other than the market. I always get the feeling someone is watching me, just like in Russia. It is after all a Communist country and the secret police are all over. It is much more Communist North of the DMZ than it is in Saigon, DaNang, Nha Thrang or any of the other places cruisers go. As long as the southern provinces "kick back" money to the Northern government, they are left pretty much to their own devices. And the South has always been heavily influenced by the American presence during the Vietnam War.

If you want to see Hanoi, take the OVERNIGHT. Trying to drive in and out from Halong in one day leaves you VERY little time to see anything. A real waste of time in my book and you will be exhausted.

If it was my trip, I would book the most luxurious junk I could afford and take the overnight Halong Bay trip. Goes MUCH further into the Bay than the day trips. I have done it 4 times-love the ladies who come around in their little boats selling fruits and other things. This generally happens after your junk is anchored for the night. The overnight Halong Bay trip also allows you to go the floating village, actually get off the junk and see how people live in the middle of Halong Bay.

• 3 months later...

we only have one day to travel from Ha long Bay to Hanoi, we really want to do this.

Any thought on taking the drive one way and then either taking the night train to De Nang or flying to De nang to meet up with the ship the next day that arrives at 1:00?