Who do you like to use for cruise travel insurance?

Oceanmarina

Hi all,

We just booked our cruise for July. The TA recommended itravelinsured.com, but I have never heard of them. Who do you recommend? (I want something that provides for medical evacuation from a ship if necessary)

Thanks for any advice,

~ Marina;)

All the major companies include a medical evacuation coverage in their comprehensive policies. You have to decide what type/amount of coverages you need and how much coverage you need in each area. What is good for me may or may not apply to you. Things to consider are: Weather delays, missed connections, elderly or ill family at home, pre-existing medical conditions, cruise destinations and cost of evac to US, your own medical insurance and whether or not it covers outside of the US, likelihood of injury or accident on cruise or excursions, possibility of cancellation and natural disasters coverage.

There are several good places to start looking; be sure to look not just at the comparison charts but also the several pages of fine print for the final one or two policies you are considering. The devil is in the details and if you don't know the specific details until too late, then you may be in for some surprises. Many people suggest insuremytrip, I personally prefer http://www.tripinsurancestore.com as they have better explanation pages and limit the number of policies to the top 5 or so best ones. Squaremouth is another popular source.

DO note that most insurance companies write a variety of policies under different names, the policy sold by your TA is probably not the exact same policy found on other sites. Similar, but slightly different exclusions or inclusions.

LBNL; Yes, you really do have to read the policy fine print IN DETAIL to know what your coverage includes. The quickie comparison charts are not binding and do not list enough of the specifics to adequately compare policies or know your coverage and exclusions.

Archived