Tipping Question

DH and I are quite new to this world of cruising---very thankful for cc and the great folks so quick to help us newbies. It is a bit overwhelming!

FYI: We shall be sailing on Navigator May 22 out of Civitavecchia

My first question is about tipping. And if there is information on the board about this please point me in the right direction! I just read a thread about too much or too little, etc. and a very helpful person wrote the following:

"For new or existing bookings that set sail before July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are: Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guestDining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest Assistant waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest"

This led me to more questions... And please pardon me for any "newbee-isms!)

How much do you tip the person who takes your luggage at the initial port (sky caps in airports) (in our case, Civitavecchia)

If you are paying each employee at the end of the week:

Do you pay each person personally on the very last day you see them? (as in hand them the cash personally?) (I'm thinking of the room attendants and the dining employees) Do you leave it in the room, if it's for the attendant? on the table for the assistant waiter? ????

We are currently living in Europe (originally from the US): is the euro or dollar more appreciated by the staff? We can do either.

Any other advice/wisdom re: tipping is much appreciated as it helps us to know how much cash to bring with us.

Thank you in advance for your sage wisdom!

Happy Sailings!

You can hand the cash tip directly to the person on the last night (often they will be hanging around seeking you out). Alternatively, you can put the tips on your onboard account and RCI will take care of distributing them to the appropriate people. In that case, RCI will give you vouchers to hand to the person if you choose, but it's for appearance sake only so that you don't appear emptyhanded if you don't want to - however, the people will know that you put the tips on your account (they get a printout), and they do not need to receive a voucher in order to collect the tip from RCI.

Generally, $1-2 per bag is standard (in the U.S.) for tipping baggage handlers/porters....don't know what the "custom" in Eur. or the Med. might be.

If you are sailing a European route, either currency will be fine...in the Caribbean/U.S. routes, the American Dollar is preferred.

We often get and tip a porter when we depart ("debark") the ship. The porter goes with us through customs. Since this takes much more of the porter's time, we tip more -- $20 to $25 usually. Also we tip the counselors at Adventure Ocean when we take the grandkids.

For the porters it depends if they are salaried or if they are working for low wages expected to be supplemented by tips. In the U.S. the people serving as porters at cruise terminals are actually unionized longshoremen earning upper middle class salaries. While it seems that most people for whatever reason tip them, there are signs at U.S. ports saying that tipping is optional (some ports) or that prohibited (some ports). There is really no need to tip them in U.S. ports if all you are doing is handing them your bag as you enter the terminal; all they do is place your bag on a cart and push the cart a few yards (where others take over); they are already receiving a generous salary and benefits for this task.

I am not sure what the case is with the porters in Civitavecchia; hopefully somebody will know if they are meant to be tipped.

My opinion about Euros vs. USD. If the cruise originates in Europe, I would tip in Euros. As for how to tip, you will receive envelopes in your stateroom on the second to last night. There will be an envelope for each of the people that have provided a service to you that week. I like to put cash in the envelope and personally hand it to the person. That way I can look them in the eye and say "Thank You" for a job well done. I have never had to search for them. They do not come begging but they will make themselves available to you. This is not their first cruise. They know the program.

You say you are feeling a bit overwhelmed. I would take the easiest way out - put your tip money in your onboard account, fill out the form on the ship indicating you want RCL to pay the suggested amount to your steward and wait staff, and give the vouchers that are provided to the folks who serve you. Don't worry about sorting out cash and stuffing it in envelopes. Don't worry about which currency - if RCL is operating in US dollars, then tip in US dollars.

Keep it simple - just keep some small bills to tip for room service, the porters and possibly tour guides.

Archived