When is the best time to purchase international air fare?

DZJ

I'm having a hard time deciphering the answer to this question, I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

We are planning a cruise for june out of Barcelona, flying in from Pittsburgh and I am looking to find a good deal on the price. I have been checking kayak.com and mobissimo.com daily for the prices and I am wondering when I might see a break from the $1250 range. Any advice?

When you are comfortable with the price. There is no "best" time as prices change daily or hourly or not at all. There are so many variables there is no way to project when there might be a sale. It could be when the fares are first released or just days before the flight.

For what it is worth, Rick Seaney (CEO of FareCompare) said this in a recent post: "It turns out airlines don’t start releasing cheaper seats until 3-4 months before departure for domestic travel and conversely 4-5 months before international travel." I suspect that this is a good average, but the answer for a particular O/D can likely depend on many factors.

The answer to your question is simple, for most people: When it's cheap.

A slightly more difficult question to answer is: What is a cheap fare for my specific journey? But if you watch fares on your route assiduously, you may get a feel for this.

The real question that most people want answered is: Will there be cheaper fares in the future for my specific journey? To answer that reliably, you need a crystal ball.

Now, are you actually wanting help with the latter two questions?

The answer to your question is simple, for most people: When it's cheap.

Globaliser, I just clicked on the link in your signature to Cheap Flights - how funny! And so very true! Thanks for providing a good laugh.

There is no magic time... you just have to keep checking daily and hoping. I was doing the same thing for my flights to BCN. One day there was an amazing deal and I bought. Haven't seen anything close to the price since. The next day (heck, later that day) those prices were gone.

Of course, there's always a chance what you are seeing to day is the best price you'll see; pries can go up and never come down.

In addition to checking daily, be sure to spread your airport choice as wide as possible. Are you willing to drive to Cleveland? Farther?

Anyone who subscribes to "a certain site that Compares Fares" to watch flights probably got the latest version of their newsletter in their Inbox this week. It features a story on the best time to book Transatlantic flights.

Even a company who tracks airfares for a living admits that they have no idea how pricing fluctuations for these tickets changes, and concludes that - aside from guaranteed higher prices during the summer months - that there really is no predictable or "best time" to buy the lowest cost tickets.

If they do it for a living and cannot make a recommendation, surely neither can I or anyone else here! HAHA! ;)

The best bet is to check availability on the date and time you want to fly, then BE SURE TO CHECK SEAT AVAILABILITY on those flights, and buy when you feel comfortable with the price.

There is a small premium I am willing to pay for the dates, times, and seating I want, but everyone has to decide what is important to them and buy when those needs can be satisfied at a price they are comfortable with.

That said...I am still looking for MY "best fare" to Europe this Fall! :D

There may not be a cheaper price in June, as all European Christian holidays like Ascension Day, Whitsun and Corpus Christi are all in June this year. In Catholic countries (like Spain) the kids have a long holiday. Next to July/August this is the peak time for European travel, and is especially popular with couples or those that do not enjoy sweltering hot weather in the summer.

What I did was price out the cheapest airline option and then checked that particular airline's pricing daily for almost a month. The price would drop a dollar or two every few days, nothing significant but it made me reluctant to book as it kept decreasing slightly. Best I saw was $2086 multi-city round trip.

Right after New Year's it jumped to $2250. The very next day it dropped back down to $2149. I booked it right then, and since then it has steadily risen.

Now it is $2385. I have no idea if there is any "rhyme or reason" for the price fluctuations. :confused:

I'm having a hard time deciphering the answer to this question, I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

We are planning a cruise for june out of Barcelona, flying in from Pittsburgh and I am looking to find a good deal on the price. I have been checking kayak.com and mobissimo.com daily for the prices and I am wondering when I might see a break from the $1250 range. Any advice?

i booked airfare on orbitz about a month ago from jfk to barcelona on Alitalia.. now the fares dropped $410 pp.. so i'd say now's a good time! i hope i get a refund for the difference!!

i booked airfare on orbitz about a month ago from jfk to barcelona on Alitalia.. now the fares dropped $410 pp.. so i'd say now's a good time! i hope i get a refund for the difference!!

Just curious - who would send you this refund?

Have been in the travel business for 30 plus years, including the airlines. Do you realize airlines change fares FOUR times a DAY? Trying to get the absolute bottom price is like playing the stock market. The fares can fluctuate by hundreds of dollars in a few hours and I have seen huge swings.

As others have advised - if you see a good fare and are comfortable with it, buy it.

Just curious - who would send you this refund?

orbitz has a "price assurance" guarantee.. bs maybe? they're suppossed to refund you up to$250 if someone else books at a lower fare than what you've paid.. some sorta "tracking" they claim.. i've already spoke to them, but they just say blah, blah, blah,, i'm gonna have to speak to a supervisor very soon.:(

Lots of luck - never read the fine print but I'm willing to bet it says something like "same class of service." Your ticket could have been booked in "K" class, for example, which may have been the lowest class of service at the time you booked it. Now the lowest fare may be offered in "L" class. Sorry - no refund.

It's a gimmick...

Lots of luck - never read the fine print but I'm willing to bet it says something like "same class of service." Your ticket could have been booked in "K" class, for example, which may have been the lowest class of service at the time you booked it. Now the lowest fare may be offered in "L" class. Sorry - no refund.

It's a gimmick...

Yes, the terms and conditions are quite extensive and you are correct. Must be the exact same flight numbers, same fare clas, same dates, same routing, etc. If Orbitz thinks you should get a refund, they send it 6-8 weeks after travel date. I would not be holding my breath.

It's a gimmick...

thanks! live & learn .. nothing lost , it's only money, can't take it with you.:)

Yes, the terms and conditions are quite extensive and you are correct. Must be the exact same flight numbers, same fare clas, same dates, same routing, etc.
So in this case it looks like it's not going to help the OP one iota, as they are flying to join a cruise at the end of July, and the $710 fare seems to be available for travel dates in late May.

Of course, the OP might be having an extended two-month pre-cruise break in Europe, in which case they might get lucky with this price guarantee ...

Of course, the OP might be having an extended two-month pre-cruise break in Europe, in which case they might get lucky with this price guarantee ...

Only if the someone else is taking the EXACT same break, on the exact same dates, flights, and class of service.

IMO, the "guarantee" would have its greatest applicability on one-way flights with no connections. The more segments, the more likely that you're the only one on your specific itinerary routing.

Archived