do you bring passports off the ship

reallyexcited

Depends what I am doing...

If I'm doing an all day excursion and/or going far from the ship, then yes.

If we are doing something close and are within walking distance then no. I figure if something happens and I need my passport at least ONE person from our party can hop back on the ship and grab if for me if when we are that close.

personally I never get off a ship without passport and credit card...and hubby doesn't either....

'just in case'. I just purchased a discreet travel waist pouch that I am planning on wearing under my bathing suit when I travel to Cozumel next month..I'll keep everything in a waterproof bag inside the pouch...

I personally do not. I am sure this will get heated as so many threads on this topic do here. I always plan on being back ON the ship at least a half an hour before they tell us we have to be back on the ship. Well over an hour before we are to set sail again. I think it would be worse for me to lose my passport in port. I know me and how I misplace things. I would be paranoid the entire time constantly checking my bag to make sure they were still there - just like I do the entire drive to port LOL It makes it more difficult to enjoy myself.

We lock ours in the safe when leaving ship. We bring credit cards, some cash and a COPY of passport when visiting ports of call. This way, there's no possibility of loosing passport. If the actual one is needed, the port agent/purser can retrieve from safe.

Why take a chance on loosing the "real thing". IMHO, you don't need it on land.

I too have worried about this and so I did some research and others have mentioned having a copy of your passport so that all of your information is with you "just in case". So, I went and made a full copy of the inside cover and 1st page of our passports, had them downsized so that it would be no larger than a business card and then laminated. You can see and read all of the information to verify your passport.

I was informed by homeland security that this will NOT pass as a passport, but in most cases it can be verified with drivers license or state id and you will be able to obtain a "duplicate" passport in an emergency.

With this being done, we can leave our passports on the ship while off in port and take our laminated copy, with drivers license and S & S card and not have to worry about losing our passports. Yeah, if we lose them, or something happens to them, our information is out there, but they don't have the original ones.

I go by what the country I visit requires and on a cruise what the ship line dictates.

I went to another country recently and I read many posts about the country that recommended to not bring it on the street with you. I about died as it was the exact wrong advice for that country. Anyone listening to the advice of not having to carry it on the street in that country could have been detained at any time.

My advice is do not listen to advice one way or the other, always check the requirements at the government websites for where you are going and your own government website and in the case of cruises, the cruise line information.

Just wondering if u bring your passport off the ship when in port?

I have before because I worry about missing the ship

Most folks on here will say no. I do. I would rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. I also aways carry one CC, and a Driver's Lic. with me when I'm off the ship. IMO a copy of a passport is not worth the paper it's printed on.

Just my $0.02 worth :)

--Dave

Do you take a copy of your driver's license? A copy of the S&S card? A copy of your credit card? A copy of your cash? Of course not because only the real thing works. Why would you be more likely to lose a passport than any of the above? It's purpose is to be with you and not in a safe.

Do you take a copy of your driver's license? A copy of the S&S card? A copy of your credit card? A copy of your cash? Of course not because only the real thing works. Why would you be more likely to lose a passport than any of the above? It's purpose is to be with you and not in a safe.

For us if it is not waterproof and small enough to fit in dh's boardshorts pocket then I don't bring it.......don't want or need the stress of someone stealing it or me loosing it.......serves no purpose for us while on a beach in the caribbean........

We do not take them on shore. The ships protocol is to make sure everyone has checked back on board using the ships security system. If passengers do not check back in then they make announcements over the ships intercom system to see if they were over looked boarding. If they do not return to the ship then ships security enters the cabin and retrieves all items of importance (including passports) from the safe. Those items are turned over to the port agent before the ship sets sail.

So why worry about losing or damaging a passport.

Lol...I don't do the whole "carry a copy with me", but for those that do, I think the point is because it contains all their info on it...This supposedly expedites getting a new one if it comes down to it.

Kicia

You are sooo correct!!!

Why would you??? A passport is for when you are going in and out of the country. Like one of the previous posts said. just get a descrete fanny pouch with a water proof bag.

Thank you Kicia!!!

I assume the above from crusin' dad is a joke but just in case. No one mentioned a Social Security Card. I referenced a S&S (Sign and Sail) card which you do have to have with you to get off and back on the ship.

Archived