Dining Times

wolfe54

We are first time cruises on Carnival Fascination in a few weeks and I have a dining question. Is it typically better to choose early or late dining? The your time has a waitlist and right now we are late dining but could switch.....anyone out there have any suggestions as to which is better or what they prefer and why?

Thanks for any help!

What time do you like to dine at home? How late do you like to stay up in the evenings? I am an early seating fan. Remember, the doors open at 6pm, but typically you will have t wait a few minutes for all your tablemates to arrive, then read the menus, order...So you probably won't begin eating (except bread) until 6:30p. You meal probably wouldn't end until 7:30 or later. Then you can drift through the photo gallery and shops on the way to the show. I did late seating once on a ship where the shows for the late seating people were before dinner, so you didn't have the opportunity to rest, and after dinner,there was nothing for me to do. But that is just my preference. EM

First cruise we picked a 5:45 seating. Where we sailed from was 2 hours behind us - so I thought that being it would be 7:45 at home, I didn't want to go later. Although, we ate in a specialty restaurant the first night because I didn't want to eat dinner at 5:45 when sail-a-way was at 5:00pm

Our second cruise, we picked Anytime dining because we thought it would give us flexability. It did, but the service wasn't what we expected (poor), and we had to wait to be seated.

Third cruise, we elected Anytime with HAL, even though our experience with Princess was terrible. I'm so happy we did Anytime on HAL. Never had to wait, excellent service, and I liked having a table fill up within minutes with wonderful people to meet.

We will continue to do Anytime in the future, but, just decide how you want your cruise to be. For me, if I'm out having fun - I'm not coming in to shower and get ready for dinner. I want to eat when it suits me, not on their schedual. I'm on vacation and I want to do what I want, when I want.

On our last cruise, we got assigned late dining. The other couple we were seated with never showed, but we ended up waiting quite a while before ordering. We probably got our food about 9pm, and it was just too late for me to eat.

On the earlier dining time, the evening is less rushed, and we were able to enjoy ourselves more.

Thanks for the advice! Since we have kiddos we usually eat "earlier" say 6 or so.....I was worried about being gone on excursions and not getting back in time but I definitely think I'm going to switch our dining to the earlier time. I don't want to be "stuffed" late at night :).

If it is like Royal Caribbean's Adventure Ocean, the kid's Camp Carnival will be close around 5:30pm and reopen around 7pm. With late dining, you have the option of feeding the kids early in the buffet (it is open for dinner), dropping them off at Camp Carnival in the evening after dinner, and then you two enjoy a leisurely meal by yourselves. Kids sometimes have a hard time sitting 75 to 90 minutes required for MDR dinner. I guess I should ask, how old are your kids?

I've been on two cruises.

1st cruise I had early dining.

2nd cruise I had late dining.

I actually pefered late dining. Early dining was earlier than when I normally eat and late dining was later than when I ate. I liked late dining because it allowed us to get some sushi from the sushi bar as treat before dinner and not fill stuffed come dinner time.

If it is like Royal Caribbean's Adventure Ocean, the kid's Camp Carnival will be close around 5:30pm and reopen around 7pm. With late dining, you have the option of feeding the kids early in the buffet (it is open for dinner), dropping them off at Camp Carnival in the evening after dinner, and then you two enjoy a leisurely meal by yourselves. Kids sometimes have a hard time sitting 75 to 90 minutes required for MDR dinner. I guess I should ask, how old are your kids?

I should have been more specific ;) i have 3 kiddos but they aren't coming with us. I was just saying we are used to eating earlier due to having the kids and eating earlier. My hubby wanted early so I switched our time. I have absolutely no problem mingling w/ seniors (as one poster stated) if they typically eat earlier but would rather not be with families (only due to not having mine w/ me and wanting more of a romantic feel).

We will have fun regardless I would bet......

Thank you all for your helpful advice!

I should have been more specific ;) i have 3 kiddos but they aren't coming with us. I was just saying we are used to eating earlier due to having the kids and eating earlier. My hubby wanted early so I switched our time. I have absolutely no problem mingling w/ seniors (as one poster stated) if they typically eat earlier but would rather not be with families (only due to not having mine w/ me and wanting more of a romantic feel).

Aha. Well, there will be more kids and families at early dinner, but you are used to eating early -- tough call. Note that if you have early dining, you could always eat later in the buffet if you are running late -- as a courtesy if you can you should stop in the MDR and let you waiter or at least the maitre'd know you won't be there for dinner, so other people at your table are not waiting. The lido buffet is pretty good at night, and usually not crowded. Some people choose to eat at the buffet every night and never make it to the MDR for dinner. Again, it would be helpful to let the MDR know if you choose to do this so your table becomes available to anyone who might be waiting to switch times or tables. One more point. It seems early dining is more populer than late dining. I always see empty seats at late dining. So, if you book early dining, it should be pretty easy to switch to late dining after you board if you decide there are too many families and kids at early dining. Now, it is always possible late dining is booked and you can't switch, but as I said I've always seen vacant seats at late dining but not so much at early dining. Oh, if you switch dining times, let your cabin attendant know, so he/she can adjust the time your room is cleaned in the evening.

Archived