RT with different return

kwoody

Hey Guys I am leaving just after new years to San Juan, PR for my honeymoon. Our wedding (and where we are hoping to leave from) is a different location then where we want to return to (where we live)

Basically the trip would like like:

Leave A to B

return B to C

Is this possible to do with airlines? If so how would I go about doing it?

Is the alternative booking four one way tickets?

Thanks

I wondered if this is considered open-jaw, because it isn't the kind of open-jaw we are used to talking about.... it is more like the reverse, since the unflown section is at home rather than away.

Still, when I book reward travel on the CO website, which does not permit one-way flights, open jaws of both kind are permitted. In fact, they don't seem to follow the unflown-must-be-shortest rule, since you can book YUL-CPT, FCO-YUL as an open-jaw.

Yes, multi-city, multiple destination, or some variation of that. Quite routine. I don't know that open-jaw is an operable term anymore and, if it is, if it results in any lower fare than any multicity fare. Most of our internaional travel is multi-city.. Not necessarily any more expensive than a roundtrip. Depends on the cities involved.

If you're booking online, and somehow your site doesn't have a multicity option (e.g., Southwest Airlines) see how two one-way fares work out (seems to work out best for domestic flights; on Southwest and some others there's no extra cost). If in doubt, phone the airline(s). I haven't booked a smple international one-way (vs. multiple destiantion) trip lately. The last time I did, I found a good price through Priceline (not name your own price).

The CO Web site most certainly does allow one-way flights. The options given are roundtrip, one-way and "multiple destinations." If you do want to book a series of one-way flights at one time, you use the multiple destiantions option. I just booked FOR-MEM/BWI-FOR for my wife, and FOR-MEM/ONT-FOR for me, using the multiple destination option. Certainly not "open-jaw." But easy to do. I looked at other options, and returning from near the original end point (MEM) did not result in lower fares.

I just booked FOR-MEM/BWI-FOR for my wife, and FOR-MEM/ONT-FOR for me, using the multiple destination option. Certainly not "open-jaw." But easy to do.

Why do you not consider those routings "open jaw"? By definition they definitely are. One source:

http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/?letter_start=O

And the open portion can be either at the departure or arrival points. Still an open jaw.

The CO Web site most certainly does allow one-way flights. The options given are roundtrip, one-way and "multiple destinations."

Yes it allows one way flights but not one way reward travel. The CO site does allow multiple destination reward travel though, including the reverse open jaw.

Yes it allows one way flights but not one way reward travel. The CO site does allow multiple destination reward travel though, including the reverse open jaw.

CO is like DL in that they really don't offer one way awards. With DL you book one way awards but pay the round trip price. With CO you have to book round trip and just 'no show' for the return. In almost all cases, such one way award bookings are an extremely poor value. With CO's merger with UA, I would assume they would keep UA's policy of allowing one way awards.

CO is like DL in that they really don't offer one way awards. With DL you book one way awards but pay the round trip price. With CO you have to book round trip and just 'no show' for the return. In almost all cases, such one way award bookings are an extremely poor value. With CO's merger with UA, I would assume they would keep UA's policy of allowing one way awards.

If we are lucky, they will combine the best of both worlds.... allowing one-way reward travel like United, and showing all rewards for partner airlines like on CO.

I wondered if this is considered open-jaw, because it isn't the kind of open-jaw we are used to talking about.... it is more like the reverse, since the unflown section is at home rather than away.
Yes, multi-city, multiple destination, or some variation of that. Quite routine. I don't know that open-jaw is an operable term anymore and, if it is, if it results in any lower fare than any multicity fare.
You can have open jaw at origin, open jaw at destination, or double open jaw (ie open jaw at both ends). Not all fares are valid for all types of open jaw.

And open jaw doesn't matter if the total fare for the trip is constructed from a series of one-way fares.

But if you're flying on routes which don't have cheap one-way fares, and you end up with a fare for the open-jaw journey that's about the same level as the cheap round-trip fares for the two routes that you're putting together, then you've definitely benefited from open-jaw pricing.

Archived