Is tipping optional??

jadzhea

Hi everyone

Myself, my hubby and daughter are cruising for the 1st time in April on Independence of the seas.( we are from UK)

I have read a lot of these forums on various topics so I am prepared.

I booked the cruise on a whim through a travel agent, and not much was explained to me. I am concerned about the amount of tipping expected, as it would work out roughly £200 GBP for the three of us which is a hell of a lot. I am self employed and would have to work a lot of hours to earn that sort of money.

We did book on a budget, and i do expect to give some tips, but cant afford what they expect. Had my travel agent made me aware of this extra cost, I would have thought twice. However, we've booked now, we are going and thats that!!

I think the culture of tipping is completely different in the UK, so I didnt really think about it.

Can anyone comment,and if i dont pay the required amount, will the staff treat us badly??

Thanks

I know you really don't know, and I am not trying to be nasty here or anything (we are self-employed too and also cruise on a budget), but there is something you should know about these "tips".

The staff makes $ 50 per month, the rest they earn through their "tips". I do not know if you can live with yourself enjoying the wonderful service of these great people working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week for 9 months until they see their families again. It is up to you, but I sure know that I cannot. I rather have a few less drinks or do a DIY excursion. No, the crew will not treat you badly.

Why not opt for the auto tips, then you know that every staff member gets his fair share, and you know exactly in advance what you will be spending.

I am self employed and would have to work a lot of hours to earn that sort of money

The people who serve you on a ship work a lot of hours. Why would you want to stiff them? When you work don't you expect to be paid?

Tipping is part of the cost of cruising. It's how these hard working folks earn their money. Whether we like the way it's set up or not, that's how it is. If you can't afford the entire cost of cruising, don't cruise.

As others have said, tipping is a huge part of the staff's compensation. The auto tips are a nice way to know that everyone (seen and unseen) is taken care of and really a very small percentage of the overall cost of the trip when you factor in the cruise price, air fare, excursions, and miscellaneous spending. Enjoy your cruise!:)

I dont think its a case of 'stiffing them'!!

I work long hours and I dont get tipped nor would I expect it, I think it should be a personal thing based on what you can afford not what they tell you to give.

When you see how much service you get from your waiters, busboys, cabin stewards, etc. hopefully you will realize that the 6 pounds per person per day is well earned.

Tipping has always been part of the cruising culture. Your travel agent may have done you a disservice in not mentioning it (especially as it is your first cruise) however, that and the fact that you work for yourself should not let you off the hook.

Put it on auto tips and chalk it up to inexperience.

I work long hours and I dont get tipped nor would I expect it, I think it should be a personal thing based on what you can afford not what they tell you to give.

I am just curious, would this apply to your customers too? If they can't afford to pay you they just take your product or service and say "Thank You" and walk away?

If you can't afford the tips then you can't afford the cruise.

I have already paid for the product and service by paying for the cruise, haven't I ??

I don't think a cruise departing from a UK port could pay $50 dollars a month as someone stated as we have a minimum wage and surely the staff know what they are going to be paid before they take the job!!

I have already paid for the product and service by paying for the cruise, haven't I ??

I don't think a cruise departing from a UK port could pay $50 dollars a month as someone stated as we have a minimum wage and surely the staff know what they are going to be paid before they take the job!!

Despite the cruise departing from the UK your minimum wage laws are not applicable. They are governed by maritime law. And you are right, the staff know what they will get before they take the job: about $50 per month + tips.

You seem not to like the answers that you are getting. I think at least 8 of us experienced cruisers have recommend that you tip using the auto tip system and you are still questioning.

Again, I am hoping that once you see how much work these fine people do you will come to 'see the light' and have the tips put on your on-board account.

So, to give you the answer you would prefer. On most cruise-lines tipping is not mandatory and can be removed if you are not happy with the service.

Sorry, you have paid for the product, but not the service.

Okay, So I haven't cruised yet but this seems like a no-brainer to me. I say unless you get super poor service, you should plan on tipping. From what I understand, you are going to want to, anyway, after you see the kind of service you are about to get. We plan to auto tip PLUS anything we feel is above and beyond their service. I suggest you read the book, "Cruise Confidential" and you may have a deeper understanding of what goes on "behind the scenes" and the sort of folks you "aren't" stiffing.

OP - You can keep posting the question hoping it will change the answer - but the facts are that the ships employees depend on YOUR tips to live and to feed their families. They work exceptionally hard and are paid very little because they are expected to be tipped. If you do not tip them they will suffer. After they have knocked themselves out for you all week if you decide they should be made to suffer, thats your call. But its very bad karma.

If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to tip.

I worked extra ans saved to pay for my cruise AND my tips.

Okay, So I haven't cruised yet but this seems like a no-brainer to me. I say unless you get super poor service, you should plan on tipping. From what I understand, you are going to want to, anyway, after you see the kind of service you are about to get. We plan to auto tip PLUS anything we feel is above and beyond their service. I suggest you read the book, "Cruise Confidential" and you may have a deeper understanding of what goes on "behind the scenes" and the sort of folks you "aren't" stiffing.

That is the way we do it. While we don't always tip extra, there has never been a time when the service was bad and we even considered reducing the autotip.

Hi, I'm also a first-time cruiser, and British. I have to say, I am aware of the tipping; will pre-pay and am saving up at the moment to pay for them.

But PLEASE! A little bit of understanding from our transatlantic friends wouldn't go amiss. You really have to understand this is a cultural thing. We pay for a cruise, if we want to tip, it's up to us; that's what we expect. It's not our 'problem' if cruise staff are paid peanuts. I don't understand how cruise companies can get away with not paying minimum wages; I don't know if it's the same for British-operated cruises. I can't imagine it is. Tipping is NOT in the same league over here as it is in the States. And if we can 'afford to cruise' we can 'afford to tip'. Whaaaat?! Some people may only just be able to afford a cruise; they may have saved up years to afford the basics. And no, travel agents over here may not mention all the little extras that bump up the price considerably. I would say our family is 'comfortably off' but not having cruised before, and this possibly being the last family holiday we have, wanted something special. So decided on a cruise. Cruises are sold to us as 'all inclusive'. But they're not, are they? I have palpitations sometimes adding it all up, and have taken on a second job to help pay for this cruise and all the add-ons. (OK, so having to fund my children's way through university over the next few years may also have something to do with getting a 2nd job, but the cruise is more imminent!). Incidentally, could there be a difference between how much Americans pay for a cruise, and how much we in Europe pay? I don't think we get the heavy discounts I hear talked about. I don't mind saying that my week's cruise is costing my family of 2 + 2 teens about £5000 / $7500 before I add on tips, soda packages, excursions or flights. It's a lot of money :mad: (but hopefully worth it!)

Bottom line - in America you are used to tipping all and sundry about 20%. You are used to your service staff whether in a restaurant or on board a ship NOT being paid minimal wages. We in Britain find that flabberghasting (in the same way that Americans can't believe there's no public transport or shops open on Dec 25th over here ;)).

Brits expect workers to receive at least minimum wage. Therefore tips are just that - a little extra as a thank you. And 10% would be quite sufficient, thank you very much! So just have a little understanding when Brits on here are shocked by the discovery of 'paying' somebody's wages it seems.

Sorry for the moan! I was quite upbeat yesterday discussing tips, but get a bit cross that it seems hard for others to appreciate where we're coming from and not understanding our cultural background to the issue of tipping.

Hi Planesailing

Thanks for your opinion... I thought it would take a fellow Brit to back me up!!

I applaud you if you want to pay the tips,I just feel a bit bullied into it, and probably all the experienced cruisers will look down their nose at me

I am not saying I wont tip.. We have been on holiday before... I am not mean nor am I rich..

I am sure Royal Carribean wouldnt refuse my money if I told them the opinion of posters ' if you cant afford to tip dont cruise'!

Planesailing,

I think it is good that you point out cultural differences. I guess it is too bad for you Brits that travel agents are selling cruises as all included when, as you seem to realize they are not. Nice to hear you are saving up for your tips - I am too. (Ours are $12.50 pd x 4 people = $350)

To help reduce budget, I never buy soda cards, don't ever do ship organized excursions, buy wine packages which usually offer a very good value and don't buy any souvenirs. I also purchase only one photo on each cruise and only drink tap water.

Hard to say what your cruise would have cost here in Canada as I don't know what type of cabin you have reserved, how old your children are or if you have one or two cabins. Usually Med cruises (and Alaska) are not heavily discounted like some of the Caribbean ones.

Prices vary substantially from one place to another. Last year on our Australian cruise, we found out on board that we had paid at least a third less than any of our mates we met.

I think the OP might have been picked on by others and myself because of the attitude of only 'paying what you can afford' and that 'the staff new what they were getting'.

The good news is that now that she knows about tipping and the importance of it to the staff she will at least be making an informed choice.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful trip!

To Liz54

I havent kept posting the same question, I have just replied to other peoples posts.

Also, as you are obviously so concerned about ethics (low wages, feeding their families etc), and Bad Karma!!!, could you please have a word with your Government for me about all the innocent seals that have been clubbed to death over the years... Cheers:D

To Liz54

I havent kept posting the same question, I have just replied to other peoples posts.

Also, as you are obviously so concerned about ethics (low wages, feeding their families etc), and Bad Karma!!!, could you please have a word with your Government for me about all the innocent seals that have been clubbed to death over the years... Cheers:D

The folks who work on the ship, when they advertise the pay, average tips are included. If you cant afford to pay tips, then you cant afford to cruise. Im sorry you feel you should be exempt because you earn very little and cant afford the tips...

Tips are part of their salary .. so if you stiff them you are not paying your way. People are trying to explain it to you .. but since you feel you cant afford to tip .. and justifying not doing it because of how much it costs .. then do what you want. No one will make you tip. It is up to you and your conscious.

My Dad felt like you and I was always embarrassed to be with him eating in a restaurant. Some people just are cheap tippers .. its a fact of life. If it doesnt bother you or those with you .. do what you feel you want to ..

I just feel a bit bullied into it, and probably all the experienced cruisers will look down their nose at me

Perhaps it should be, but tipping is not really optional. In American culture we allow certain industries to underpay workers who make up for it in tips. There is something to be said for paying a living wage upfront & not have this "sneaky" extra charge just to make the advertised price look lower.

Unfortunately this is the way the system is set up & it's not really fair to harm the lowest paid, hard working people for the arrangement.

I just think of it as part of the overall cost.

In addition to the autotips for certain personnel, they will add an 18% gratuity to every for pay drink you enjoy.

I'm a pretty good tipper but with these automatic deductions I too feel bullied into it.

I feel the biggest confusion about "tips" is that they should just be rolled into the cruise fare. I know there are countries where tipping is not a part of their culture. Look at Australia, tipping is not something they do on a daily basis but they do when they cruise. If it were a service fee, or supplement like the fuel surcharge, it might not be looked at in such a negative light. Noone wants to be overcharged and nickled and dimed to death. Perception is reality and all the people that are saying " if you can't afford to tip, don't cruise.", need to understand the OPs background.

Just sayin

In addition to the autotips for certain personnel, they will add an 18% gratuity to every for pay drink you enjoy.

I dont know what cruiseline you mean, but Iv had 15% added to all drinks. OP you will be charged 15% tips, even on a bottle of water. Bring a bunch of $1 bills, for porters, if you order room service etc .. and just move on. Drinks it really is hard to get that 15% removed. So you probably wouldnt be ordering drinks anyway if money is that tight, as you mention you dont make as much in weeks of work as the tips are .. there are more tips expected than just the standard they add per day.

You have received the answers to your question, but are obviously not happy with the reality.

OK, so you didn't factor in tips and your travel agent didn't tell you. You came here and asked about something you needed more clarification about and got it.

Any search on the CC site regarding tips would have brought up quite a few threads on this subject that all basically say the same thing.

Auto tips, or service charges are almost the norm on cruiselines. Reading the website of your particular cruiseline would have told you the amount is EXTRA and NOT included in your cruise fare.

It's just something that you need to budget into your overall vacation.

Once you pay the service charge (on NCL your onboard account is charged $12pp per day) any extra tips are optional. BUT, it's a nice gesture to give a few dollars for your room steward, room service and any other employee that makes your experience special. Any drink you purchase will have an auto tip attached to it already, so there is no need to leave extra if you don't wish to.

Please take note that if you are in a suite and have the services of a Butler and Concierge, that they are NOT included in the auto tips/service charges.

So now that you have been educated, add the cost of 'tipping' to your bottom line for the future.

Not to totally rain on your parade, but be aware that the additional fuel service charge can be imposed with little or no notice. Just another expense to think about.

CC is a place with a wealth of information, I'm sorry that the information you received from all of us is not what you wanted to hear.

I hope you and your family have a great time on your cruise.

Archived