Answers for those excited about Ketchikan

alaskandude

Hey Alaskandude! I have a ??? We are only in Ketchikan for a short stay, 6:30 am to 2:30 pm. :( My brother-in-law used to live there and advised us to do the floatplane to Misty Fjords. I trust him on this, so we are booked. However, this excursion gets us back to the ship at 11:15. The only other excursion that works with our schedule is the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show. We wouldn't mind seeing it, but want to make sure we are not missing something else we could do on our own. Any suggestions?

TIA,

HI dude,

We were in Ketchikan last year and I saw a Humvee parked in town, it had humveetours printed on the side. Do you know if they are still around? I can't find a website or review of the tour.

We went on the Lighthouse and Eagles nest tour last year and thought it was relaxing and scenic. Also the people working on the boat tried so hard to please us. Thanks for any info. We will be there in August this year.

Hey Alaskandude! Here are the tours we are thinking of doing in Ketchikan:

Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary

Ketchikan Duck Tour

Back Country Jet Boat

Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer

This is our first cruise & our first trip to Alaska!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mimi Anne

Above post should have read:

Hey Alaskandude! Here are the tours we are thinking of doing in Ketchikan:

Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary

Ketchikan Duck Tour

Back Country Jet Boat

Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer

Which one do you recommend?

This is our first cruise & our first trip to Alaska!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mimi Anne

Hate 2 W8t- It is a great show, and right next to the ship. Its not real Alaskan logging but still fun. There are plenty of tour operators that are located on the dock that offer tours to Saxman and ones that do water tours of town. There times for there tours I do not know but you will have no problem finding them.

emma2u- Yes there are Hummer tours but I forgot who does them, I will find out and post another reply.

mimi- I would go with the Misty tour, it is so beautifull out there. And will also have a great chance to see some wildlife.

Dont forget about the fishing guys.

Do you know much about the rainforest sanctuary? We would love to go, but think $80 that NCL is asking for is a little high for a rain forest. Do you know about how much it would cost on our own? Also as far as transportation around town, are taxi's available or would it be smarter to rent a car (if so are there any places you reccomend?). Also do you know how mcuh taxi fare is around town and possibly to the rainforest sanctuary. Sorry about asking all these prices questions if you don't know. Just trying to get as much information as I can. Also do you know the hours of the rainforest sanctuary by any chance?

The rainforest sanctuary is neat but I believe they only sell to the ships. It is about 15 miles south of the docks so I am guessing your cab fair will be about $10-15. Probly is cheaper to buy from the boat for once. The place is still closed for the winter so no luck on getting hours.

Hey Alaskandude, we are in Ketchikan on 22nd September . While I had resigned myself to not going on an excursion for bear viewing I HAVE TO ask - Captain Larry arranges a tour to Trader's Cove and it is still available at this time of year - What is the % chance of seeing bears if we take this tour???? Why would it be open longer than any of the other areas (ie Anan etc)?

You might be able to see bears there in late Sept. but not likely. If it is another

dry summer like last it really messed with the wildlife. If I was going to Traitors

Cove I would want to get there before the 2nd week in September. You would

probably have better luck seeing bears at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary in

Ketchikan during that time of year. I know our best times there were late July,

August and September. But always remember that these are wild animals and the operate on their own schedule. Enjoy the total experience on any tour you

go on. And if you see bears or any other wildlife then that's just extra icing on

the cake.

bearbait,

Thanks for the info. I had guessed the chance of seeing bear there were not great but was hoping against hope!

I hadn't thught of the wildlife sanctuary mainly due to the fact that my other half isn't too keen on guided walks.....however if there is a CHANCE of seeing bears here it wold definately be worth a try - After all it is MUCH cheaper than Traitor's Cove and wouldn't be as devastating if we don't actually see bears.

One more question!! - The ship offers this excursion BUT who else does this???? Does it HAVE to be a GUIDED walk??? Could we book it when we dock at the port??? (sorry, thay was 3 MORE questions!)

Thanks

You could purchase this tour from one of the vendors in the visitors center but

it's the same price as if you bought it on the ship. Yep, it has to be a guided

tour. Mainly for insurance reasons and to keep things in check. It's a good tour

but you will want to try and schedule a tour time at a "low tide". That's when

the most wildlife is out. There is a web-site for tide times but I am lost my link

at the present. Good luck.

I think I saw posting a while ago about being able to fish off Creek Street or something like that. We will be in Ketchikan the first week of July and instead of chartering a fishing trip, is it possible to rent poles, get a license and fish somewhere in town or close to town?

This website will give you the information that you need:

http://www.lumberjackshows.com/fishing/

Thanks for all the good information. Here's another question. We would like a tour - float plane one way/boat the other to Misty Fjords. It's the Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise & Flight through Princess. We're trying to find out if any of the local tour companies have the same tour. Also, if local companies do have this to offer is it something we could pick up the day of or should we book ahead. We'd like to wait until the day of so if it happens to be a terrible day we could go with another option. We'll be in Ketchikan the middle of June. Thanks for all of your help. :)

You can book a boat/fly tour up to the Misty's directly with "Alaska Cruises"

in Ketchikan if you wish. You may be able to book the day of your trip as long

as they are not sold out. I would call in advance to see what there bookings

look like for the day you are in KTN.

Archived