Bon Voyage alcohol question - which rum and which vodka to order?

wildeklave

I will be ordering from Bon Voyage for an upcoming cruise and want opinions for which bottles to order based on what is best and to maximize price. Also, I would like people's opinions based on what they like from the selections.

Yes at $40-$60 a bottle they are pricey but looking online some of the bottles have a higher markup vs. others.

Choices:

Rums:

Capt Morgan Spiced, Gosling, Appleton VX, Bacardi $40.

Malibu $55

Vodkas:

Absolute Citron, Stoli , Skye and Finlandia $40

Grey Goose, and 3 olives $60

For the rums, while I would love to get Capt Morgan, the $60 price tag seems high to me since a 1 liter bottle can be purchased in a normal liquor store for about $20. The same with Malibu. Bacardi is the mass produced brand I know that typically can be purchased for about $19-$23 per liter. I never heard of Appleton or Gosling. Any reviews of them vs. Bacardi? It appears they go for about $22-$25 per liter at a normal liquor store.

I did find this online review that prefers Appleton over the others but would love cruiser opinions:

http://scottesrum.com/category/all-rum-reviews/appleton-estate-vx/

Now for the Vodkas. Grey Goose goes for about $35-$40 per liter in a normal liquor store and is $60 on Carnival. I am not a Citron guy so would skip the Absolut. That leaves Stoli, Skyy, and Finlandia. Stoli is about $30-$35 per 1L while Skyy and Finlandia both go for about $19-$23 per 1L at a normal liquor store while selling for $40 on Carnival.

What does everyone think? Also, a non-related question. I saw in one thread that people who buy from the duty free on the last day of the sailing can bring their purchases directly back to their room. Is that true? Does the duty free on the ship also sell beer?

I will be ordering from Bon Voyage for an upcoming cruise and want opinions for which bottles to order based on what is best and to maximize price. Also, I would like people's opinions based on what they like from the selections.

Yes at $40-$60 a bottle they are pricey but looking online some of the bottles have a higher markup vs. others.

Choices:

Rums:

Capt Morgan Spiced, Gosling, Appleton VX, Bacardi $40.

Malibu $55

Vodkas:

Absolute Citron, Stoli , Skye and Finlandia $40

Grey Goose, and 3 olives $60

For the rums, while I would love to get Capt Morgan, the $60 price tag seems high to me since a 1 liter bottle can be purchased in a normal liquor store for about $20. The same with Malibu. Bacardi is the mass produced brand I know that typically can be purchased for about $19-$23 per liter. I never heard of Appleton or Gosling. Any reviews of them vs. Bacardi? It appears they go for about $22-$25 per liter at a normal liquor store.

I did find this online review that prefers Appleton over the others but would love cruiser opinions:

http://scottesrum.com/category/all-rum-reviews/appleton-estate-vx/

Now for the Vodkas. Grey Goose goes for about $35-$40 per liter in a normal liquor store and is $60 on Carnival. I am not a Citron guy so would skip the Absolut. That leaves Stoli, Skyy, and Finlandia. Stoli is about $30-$35 per 1L while Skyy and Finlandia both go for about $19-$23 per 1L at a normal liquor store while selling for $40 on Carnival.

What does everyone think? Also, a non-related question. I saw in one thread that people who buy from the duty free on the last day of the sailing can bring their purchases directly back to their room. Is that true? Does the duty free on the ship also sell beer?

When I called a couple of weeks ago they also had regular Absolute in addition to Citron.

Gosling is a dark rum (full name is Goslings Black Seal Rum) and it's the national rum of Bermuda. www.goslingsrum.com It has a unique taste, but I happen to like dark rums and I like it. Others in your group may not, however. It goes great with Gosling's Ginger Beer (a unique mixer) and a lime wedge - the famous Dark 'n Stormy!:D If I had a choice between Goslings and Bacardi Dark, I would definitely buy the Goslings!

All liquor and wine bottles bought on board will be 2 to 3 times the retail price on shore.

for me it will be stoli ,Appleton rum and maybe bacardi limon

heres some ideas

stoli with the juices they serve in the morning,or soda of choice as well as ice tea

appleton rum(its a dark rum that tastes like it has molasses in it ) and coke with some limes.My favorite

Bacardi limon with ice tea or really any juice.Also good for shots

I ordered a bottle of Absolute vodka, Saphire Gin and Kahlua from Carnval.

if i were to order rum it would be the appletons. I bring my own mix on board with me. If i want limes i just ask for some at the bar.

Being Canadain the prices for a 40 ouncer from carnival is just a bit more than what I pay at a liquor store at home. Taxes and more taxes.

Yes there is a mark up... If was smart i would of bought the grey goose as what carnival sells it for is almost what i would pay for it at home. Next trip ;)

If you want something that yoou don't see on the list just ask them if you can get it. I figure i would order liquor for the room as it was cheaper in the long run that buying it from the bar considering my husband drinks double black russians. Carnval bar price for a double was close to $14 with tip.

Archived