Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I think my search for a thread that calls to me has ended!

Everytime I see a shirt, a dress, shoes...I think how beautiful it would look on this and this day at sea..or when I do this and this excursion for that port day. Its all I think about

Packing for a trip is one of my favorite things to do. I usually end up doing it last minute becuase if I do it to far in advance then I have nothing to keep my excitement level down from then and my cruise!

For nail polish I always thought a lovely pink always looks nice. Like a french manicure sans white tip, since the white tip always gets chipped. I carry the pink nail polish with me for touch ups. Usually its pale enough that no one will notice if you break or chip it, but simple enough that your hand looks beautiful.

I love wraps and sundresses for sea days. For the buffet, lunch and breakfast they are easy to throw on, explore the ship and quickly take off when you have your swimsuit underneath. I find I live in sandals and flip flops. Just be careful they dont dig into your feet, I learned the hard way with one pair I brought with me last time :(

Shoes are dangerous. I want to bring every pair I own and wear them as much as possible. A woman can go from ok to sexy with a pair of heels, from kitten to 5 inch stilettos. I've learned though that I can't show off my shoe collection so two dress shoes are my max. A solid color that goes with almost anything and a fun pair. A regular pair of flip flops, comfortable sneakers for at port, and a good pair of sandals. 5 is pretty good right? right? (A man may shake his head at me though)

Oh just talking about this has me riled up for my cruise!

mszpolaris: Your 1st 2 sentences expresses my sentiment exactly! It is so-o-o nice to know there are others out there who love the process of choosing outfits and packing:)!

Liztoybiz: I just got one of those "Vera Bradley key chain things" & agree it will be perfect for carrying a SeaPass, tip money, lipstick. Your expertise as a personal shopper must have brought lots of interesting stories - any cruise-related ones you can tell?

Packing List: Since my chart is 2.5 pages and consists of 8 rows and 4 columns, it's too much to cut & paste. Besides, the details aren't important to anyone but me. Here's just 1 example: this is for the day we are docked at Port Canaveral -

Bra: white "lacy" strap Spanx (a must with everything except shorts!)

Capris: Talbot white w/ pink, peach, lime, olive abstract flowers

Cami: peach Ann Taylor w/ wide V-neck

Sandals: white flat

Necklace: silver "Os" Earrings: silver triangles

Purse: "Little Whitey"

Cover (if needed): short sleeve white cardigan

DH laughs when he reads this stuff! I generally keep my chart in a drawer;).

So here's the condensed version:

Driving to Baltimore + Sailaway: (Because it will still be spring & likely too cool for tropical dressing)

Pants: light gray skinny pants

Top: knit print (olive, red, orange, gray) 3/4 sleeves

Slide sandals - antique gold Jewelry: "antiqued" gold

Cover: loose-knit peachy-orange long sleeve V-neck pullover

Bras: 12 Spanx (can't dress without them unless it's shorts!)

Capris: 5, 1 lilac, 1 raspberry, 3 are bright prints

Shorts: 4, lilac, white, brown print, khaki

Tops: 11, assorted - some are solid, others bright prints

Skirts: 2, 1 white w/ pink & green print, 1 yellow embroidered Aline

Dresses: 3, 2 sundresses, 1 sundress w/ a matching Bolero (for the last night when it will be cooler as we approach Baltimore)

Swimsuits & Cover-ups: 3 of each

Casual Shoes: 10, flat sandals: silver, white, black patent, copper,

gold; palm tree flip-flops

peep-toe wedges: raspberry, orange, gold

Mudd Mary Janes (for disembarking/return home)

Heels: silver, gold, copper beaded

Earrings: 17 pair Necklaces: 9 Bracelets: 12

Formal #1: brown chiffon halter dress

Formal #2: cream-colored dress pants, gold lacy top

Specialty Restaurant: black dress pants, black knit top with raspberry 3-D flowers around scoop neck

Final Day/Return Home: black Ralph Lauren casual pants, white knit top, black jacket (matches pants)

Packing Jewelry: You know those 7-day plastic pill boxes? They're labeled by day. I have 2 of those to keep earrings separated. The necklaces & bracelets go in little plastic bags by day and then in a jewelry roll. Onboard, the jewelry roll gets stashed & the labeled bags go in a drawer w/ the earrings.

Edited by indiana71

Indiana71 are you my clothing clone?

I love clothes and I love to cruise. Put the 2 together, and that'll be me. I have cruise clothes but not the typical "cruisewear". I started with everything new for my first cruise, and now I replace a few pieces/shoes each year. The only things that remain in the "pool" longer are evening gowns. Gowns are Old Hollywood style, thus changes are usually accessaries and shoes. Each outfit has designated undergarments since I'm a size 10 woman with big girls and an apple. Every outfit is staged before packing. The process saves me a copious amount of time once the vacation starts.

For a 7-9 day cruise I take 1 large and 1 medium case since we usually spend 5-7 days in the port of embarkation. For 10-15 days, another case is added.

What can I say except ...I love fashion, hence clothes. Even as a young child there are pictures of me digging in the dirt outfitted in frilly shorts and strappy sandals.

Hi Indiana I also live in a small town. So...it not easy to buy evening outfits. Planning ahead is part of the fun for me. Nice to know we have many sisters here. :D I do use tissue when packing my bag to cut down on the wrinkles. Diffrent subject have you ladies tried Downy wrinkle remover? I have, its not bad.

I think most people here know I do a blog of my clothes and I get a lot of good advice that I always take into consideration. But I buy some cruise clothes, but I always try and think, "Can I throw a sweater over this and wear it to work?" Of course my work is business casual and a little bit more casual in the summer since its a college, so its easier sometimes. I bought some dresses for the cruise in Jan. that I can't wait to break out in the spring at work.

Packing List: Since my chart is 2.5 pages and consists of 8 rows and 4 columns, it's too much to cut & paste. Besides, the details aren't important to anyone but me. Here's just 1 example: this is for the day we are docked at Port Canaveral -

I make a packing list as well. It has every outfit, accessory, shoes, and toiletries we need and which bag they should go in. I even made a packing list for my family that is going with us this year, but they just looked at me like I was crazy. :rolleyes: Oh well, I like to be organized.

Hi again,

I know this might sounds silly to some, but I think this group might just understand. I look all year long; in catalogs, stores, online, etc. for solid tops that are pretty (or cute), light-weight, flattering on my longwaisted/well-endowed figure, and look cute with white, tan, or black bottoms. I love simple separates with fabulous accessories. The right necklace/earring/whatever makes me feel put together and fabulous. I have some pieces that get complements every time I put them on. The other thing I keep in mind is what colors look good next to my face. I am fair skinned with blue eyes, so like most blondes I love wearing any shade of blue. Esp. turquoise, aquamarine, and the 'wonderful on every skin type' periwinkle or royal blue.

Do any of you shop Boston Proper or Cabi? Love both of them.

Indiana, your spread sheet did remind me of a favorite story from college, and I'm sorry it isn't cruise related.

Sitting in one of my textile classes this gorgeous girl had a spread sheet and small leather notebook and seemed to be comparing them. Being a bit nosy, I asked her what she was doing and she showed me. The spreadsheet contained all her events since the beginning of that school year (including each day's change of clothes). But the notebook contained swatches/photos/and designs of each item of clothing she owned, right down to 43 matching bra and panty combos plus tons of belts, scarves and jewelry. Yep, you guessed it. She was making sure didn't duplicate. Last I heard, she was becoming a pretty big name in fashion...

Ok, so just out of curiosity, what do you ladies like to wear to dinner on a cruise?

Liz

quote by Liztoybiz:

"Ok, so just out of curiosity, what do you ladies like to wear to dinner on a cruise?"

Hi:), I just got home last night from a 7 nighter and I want to be

back on the ship:(

What did I wear? Each night? I wore a long red dress on one formal

night, a black one on the other. I wore an eggplant color dress one

evening, a printed dress (different shades of purple, lavender) another

evening. One evening was the SUPERBOWL I and did not eat in the

main dining room...dressed much more casually than normal (for me)

because I watched the game and they had a full spread in the theater.

The other 2 nights I wore black dress silk pants with 2 different pretty

tops:)

quote by Liztoybiz:

"Ok, so just out of curiosity, what do you ladies like to wear to dinner on a cruise?"

Hi:), I just got home last night from a 7 nighter and I want to be

back on the ship:(

What did I wear? Each night? I wore a long red dress on one formal

night, a black one on the other. I wore an eggplant color dress one

evening, a printed dress (different shades of purple, lavender) another

evening. One evening was the SUPERBOWL I and did not eat in the

main dining room...dressed much more casually than normal (for me)

because I watched the game and they had a full spread in the theater.

The other 2 nights I wore black dress silk pants with 2 different pretty

tops:)

Sounds perfect, Lois! Welcome back! :D

So many times I thought about starting this thread, and didn't do it...sure am happy now! This is a great conversation and no one is giving me "the look" (i.e. DH!) for talking about cruise clothes too much:).

luckybonesatsea: Tell me about Downy Wrinkle remover. I haven't had a need for such a product, but that could be a good thing to put in the carry-on "just in case".

How about static spray? While trying on cruise outfits a month ago, a couple things were clingy. Maybe it was just static in the dry air of my house...Never needed static spray onboard so I don't know much about it. Comments, please.

brooklynfc - Sweaters or some type of cover-up must always be a consideration IMHO. Ship dining rooms can be chilly and to keep from looking like "Grandma", I pack 3/4 sleeve, Bolero-type cardigans and 2 shawls for formal night, just in case.

mszpolaris & Listoybiz: The only shopping that really appeals to me is Cruise Related Shopping! Therefore, it IS torture to buy out of season and know a beautiful sundress, top, etc. has to hide in the closet. :eek: That's especially true when I find a great sale item at the end of summer!

Liztoybiz: I loved your story about the notebook. When I retired as a school secretary, from September until my last day in December, I kept a record and never wore the same outfit twice! Since then, most of the suits and "school secretary" clothes have gone to charity. I'm all about happy, fun clothes now:cool:.

Boston Proper is familiar and I've seen their catalog. My problem is always size: petites aren't available everywhere...there will be a perfect pair of pants and top in a catalog - but no petites.

The one women's clothing store in town has nice things and I have a good alterations lady. Thank goodness!

Edited by indiana71

:) Welcome home Lois! I know it's a bit of a drag to come home from a cruise, but I'm happy to see you back here, I missed you.

anyone else feel tortured buying new clothes and not being able to wear them right away due to weather, not having the occasion, etc?

I refuse to feel tortured by new clothes. I have 2 new tops w/cardigans plus another new shirt and I may get one more top for my next cruise. I have worn them all a couple times so far. My next cruise isn't until May so no way am I going to wait! The next cruise is a coastal, so I'm not wearing summer clothes. I couldn't resist some of the new spring colors and I had Nordstroms gift cards and coupons to use...so I used them.

I keep looking at shoes, but I do have a couple pair I wear to my #2 job that are great to stand in. I may just forget about buying new walking shoes and just wear what I have now and I know will be comfortable. I'll be walking quite a bit in San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver on that trip, definitely don't want sore feet then.

:) Welcome home Lois! I know it's a bit of a drag to come home from a cruise, but I'm happy to see you back here, I missed you.

I refuse to feel tortured by new clothes. I have 2 new tops w/cardigans plus another new shirt and I may get one more top for my next cruise. I have worn them all a couple times so far. My next cruise isn't until May so no way am I going to wait! The next cruise is a coastal, so I'm not wearing summer clothes. I couldn't resist some of the new spring colors and I had Nordstroms gift cards and coupons to use...so I used them.

I keep looking at shoes, but I do have a couple pair I wear to my #2 job that are great to stand in. I may just forget about buying new walking shoes and just wear what I have now and I know will be comfortable. I'll be walking quite a bit in San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver on that trip, definitely don't want sore feet then.

Hi Kathy, thanks:)

I stopped at Old Navy today but nothing called out to me...but I did find earrings (white & gold) that were on my Would Be Nice list:). Also pre-ordered some cosmetics at the Lancome counter. I watch for the giveaways and the next one is in early March. The trial size products are perfect for traveling.

Anyone else get overwhelmed by the enormous selection of cosmetics?? There are certain products that I always use, but things (like lipstick) change all the time...and every women's magazine has an article about their favorites. Most of mine are Lancome. Some are drug store brands, but I like being able to try different shades and getting the input of knowledgeable salespeople.

Checking Out What Entertainers Are Wearing: Saturday night we went to the theater to see "100 Years of Broadway Show Tunes". The performance was very good, but I was very interested in what the 2 females were wearing. They would come out on stage and my first thought was, "That would be a great formal night dress!" The group was available after the show. If we had stayed I would have asked where they get their dresses;).

Then the Grammy's were on and the opening act (featuring the female singers) came on and I had the same thought...but when Lady Gaga made her entrance...I liked her performance but couldn't think of ONE place her costume would look appropriate except on her, on stage;).

Was just thinking about my cruise last year. Just a FYI. Last year I packed a product from QVC. It was a 2 sides tape, to use on clothes or skin. Turns out I did need it on a silk dress to keep it from sliding on my shoulders. This double sided tape will also work if your heel snags the hem of your dress. Yes I did this on my last cruise :p I will also pack 1 dryer sheet. One dress did have static cling. The Downy Spray did get out wrinkles on cotton. I will pack all of the above this year.

I bought three dresses at Nordstrom rack today, got all three for the price that one of them would have been normally. I will try and post pics of them in the next few days.

Cosmetics: I love Clarins for skin care, cleanser,toners, moisturiser - I really think theirs is the best around. I have some of their cosmetics too and love them.

I love Lanccome mascara (but L'Oreal is also thiers and has great mascara).

I mainly use Chanel foundation, blush and eyeshadow at the moment and am very happy with it.

I have found my soul sisters!

I too, plan every detail of my cruise wear! I try everything on and make a list of what I'll wear each day/night. This takes all the stress out of dressing on the cruise. no decisions to make. Also it prevents overpacking, (except maybe for shoes).

I just bought 3 dresses this week, all a nice travel knit that will work well for days and even casual nights. I prefer dresses because it's one item vs shorts plus top, and they are comfy and so versatile! Since I am a size 12/14 and too self conscious for bathing suits, I always top one off with a cute sundress. No need to remove unless I'm actually getting in water.

I'm wearing a formal long skirt with fancy top one formal night. I'm a bit worried because they are black velvet and may be out of place. But my other formal dress is a fun green satin cocktail dress ala MadMen. I confess to bringing at least 3 evening purses, 2 formal and one all purpose one. Plus I'll have a beach/ daytime carry all. Since jewelry is so compact, I bring a different set for each evening. We travel with the same group each cruise so I see the same 12 people each evening.

Thanks for a fun thread!

Diorshow mascara. The best mascara I have ever used. I swear by it. Yes it is 24 dollars...but its so worth it.

I also love bare escentuals for my skin. Some even contain spf which makes me feel a bit better, especially when dermatologists nowadays say you should wear sunscreen everyday. even in the winter.

@ er345 I'm a size 12 also! Bathing suits are hard to find, I'm tall as well so I'm all types of disproportioned. Sundresses are beautiful and you are right about it being only one item as opposed to two. makes me feel better about packing in an extra pair of shoes =]

Diorshow mascara. The best mascara I have ever used. I swear by it. Yes it is 24 dollars...but its so worth it.

I also love bare escentuals for my skin. Some even contain spf which makes me feel a bit better, especially when dermatologists nowadays say you should wear sunscreen everyday. even in the winter.

@ er345 I'm a size 12 also! Bathing suits are hard to find, I'm tall as well so I'm all types of disproportioned. Sundresses are beautiful and you are right about it being only one item as opposed to two. makes me feel better about packing in an extra pair of shoes =]

I love bare escentuals. It's all I use from foundation, to eyeshadow, to mascara. The foundation does contain SPF 15, and it's so lightweight you don't even feel like you have anything on.

Reading this thread is the highlight of my day:).

er345: Welcome to the Fashionista Club! We are, indeed, soul sisters - and proud of iticon14.gif!

Shopping seems to be getting more intense as winter clothes leave the racks and summer items appear. I'll be going to Mall of America, Nordstrom for sure, in a couple weeks. If there's time, I'll linger at the make-up counters and learn as many new tricks as possible.

Evening Purses: They are such a great addition to a dinner outfit...but what do you DO with it? There's never room on the table and if it's a clutch, no way to keep it on my chair...

Mascara: Lancome is my favorite. And their Bi Facil eye make-up remover works great for me, too.

Shoes in the Stateroom: Up until our last cruise, I lined up my shoes in the closet and DH (poor DH) had to pile his under the tiny table. Now I have an over-the-door fabric shoe holder for 12 pairs. DH gets 2 pockets, I use the rest. Flat sandals fit easily on the closet floor. That was a tip picked up on a thread!

Anyone have any good hints for unpacking and storing in the stateroom?

What a great thread! I love fashion from the jewelry to the shoes. We have never cruised before, and the wait is unbearable. Thankfully, we live in NC so we will drive to FL. So luggage weight will not be a problem for the airlines...just my husband! Our first cruise is not until Nov, but I already have a list. The first cruise will be with our children (10 & 8). The problem there is that I (she does also) like fashion for my 10 year old daughter as well! Yikes! Our second booked cruise will just be my husband and me. Anyway it's nice to hear how other women enjoy fashion as much as yourelf.