Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Cute dresses! I especially like the black and white one!

I was motivated to try on several dresses today while procrastinating on my housework. I will have to take pictures too.

As for evening purses, I have a thing for buying vintage ones at thrift/antique shops. I love using these great older styles if they are nice and clean. Usually they have a small chain so I can hang the purse on my chair. If I have a clutch I usually tuck it below my chair. I am trusting no one to walk off with it.

I am a planner as well. I cruise in May, but still have old lists of what I packed and am reviewing for this trip.

I always end up buying new casual tops, not this time-because the sunblock always ruins them and I can't get the stains out without bleach which ruins them anyway.

My formal clothes I scrunch up into a compressed ziplock bag-it works, no wrinkles-the one dress with beading on it, gets some tissue next to it to protect it from snags.

Jsim2011: Your dresses are perfect for cruising. I'm partial to the purple one, but the other 2 are very nice, too.

Since the weather forecast was nice today (sunny this morning & 50 degrees) I took a road trip to the nearest decent-sized mall. In an hour I was in Talbot's Outlet where a pair of raspberry shorts called my name...and a pale green short-sleeved knit top. Both were on sale and set me back only $11.00:) TOTAL. My packing list will be adjusted to include the new purchases.

Also went to Ulta - had read about Orly's Bonder. It's a "rubberized" base coat that's supposed to help nail polish adhere better and keep from chipping. If it works, I will be very happy. Also read about & bought CND Solar Oil Nail & Cuticle Conditioner. At this time of year the area around my nails is pathetic - catching on clothing, very dry and not at all Cruise Worthy! We'll see how both products perform.

Next stop Macy's. Very little spring and summer clothes are out, mostly what's on sale was winter...but there was a purple (again, a favorite color) knit Ralph Lauren top. Had been $59...got it for $15.

Looks like I'll be making more changes to my Outfits List.

Photos will be posted in a couple weeks when serious packing begins.

er345: No matter where they come from vintage evening bags are a treasure to be used. I have 2 vintage clutches, both inherited from DH's aunt. She was a world traveler and gave me a handmade straw clutch with pink, yellow & blue flowers. The other one is Oriental - green silk print. They don't get used often enough:o.

I did some unexpected shopping today. Went into Khol's to look for a white T-shirt to go with some plaid shorts for my DD(9). Ended up getting the white t-shirt plus 2 more. A pair of plaid shorts and a shirt to go with. All for my DD.

AND.....I got the cutest pair of black flats by Vera Wang!!! I am so excited!! I will post a picture tomorrow as I pack. I will also take pictures of my outfits. We leave Friday afternoon.

Edited by tmt218
spelling

today I found the cutest little black sarong thing to wear over my black tankini bottom!! I tried it on with the tankini top and I love it!!!! Now I won't feel self concious at the beach or the pool. I still want to order a couple little sundress/coverup things to wear as well. I also found a cute pair of black sandals. They have a cork wedge that's not too high, so can wear with pretty much anything. Today I got the kids clothes all washed up and folded, now just have to do mine. Waiting on a couple of things to be altered for myself and my daughter (she had found a couple of really cute dresses to wear on formal nights but they are a little big). Oohhhhh, I can't wait!!! Three weeks tomorrow we'll be in Fort Lauderdale!!!

I love planning outfits and reading about all of your outfits. Going on first cruise in July to Med and already thinking about sensible shoes for excursions right through to dresses for formal nights. I just wondered how dressy people are for the formal nights. I have a few good evening dresses I have worn for balls in the past. Some beaded top, some sequins, is this the sort of thing that is acceptable? Appreciate the advice of seasoned cruisers. x

yes, acceptable,...some dress very formal while others wear nice dresses or very dressy slacks.

I think my search for a thread that calls to me has ended!

Everytime I see a shirt, a dress, shoes...I think how beautiful it would look on this and this day at sea..or when I do this and this excursion for that port day. Its all I think about

Packing for a trip is one of my favorite things to do. I usually end up doing it last minute becuase if I do it to far in advance then I have nothing to keep my excitement level down from then and my cruise!

For nail polish I always thought a lovely pink always looks nice. Like a french manicure sans white tip, since the white tip always gets chipped. I carry the pink nail polish with me for touch ups. Usually its pale enough that no one will notice if you break or chip it, but simple enough that your hand looks beautiful.

I love wraps and sundresses for sea days. For the buffet, lunch and breakfast they are easy to throw on, explore the ship and quickly take off when you have your swimsuit underneath. I find I live in sandals and flip flops. Just be careful they dont dig into your feet, I learned the hard way with one pair I brought with me last time :(

Shoes are dangerous. I want to bring every pair I own and wear them as much as possible. A woman can go from ok to sexy with a pair of heels, from kitten to 5 inch stilettos. I've learned though that I can't show off my shoe collection so two dress shoes are my max. A solid color that goes with almost anything and a fun pair. A regular pair of flip flops, comfortable sneakers for at port, and a good pair of sandals. 5 is pretty good right? right? (A man may shake his head at me though)

Oh just talking about this has me riled up for my cruise!

High heels and cruising don't go together for me....I can fall over!

<<grin>>

Those of you who are very close to Cruise Time: I'M SOOOO Jealous!!! 43 days for me....

Looking forward to seeing photos.

I love that some shopping is bringing positive results. I went to our downtown boutique today but came out empty-handed, even though I tried on a skirt, top and strapless dress.:(

kelbre: Aren't sarongs the best cover-up!? Especially when cruising. There are always females who pull on an oversized Tshirt but the ones who have cute cover-ups are true Cruising Fashionistas!

QUESTION: When you go shopping, approximately how many pieces of clothing do you try and how many of those do you purchase?

Sometimes (like today) a dress looked perfect...but on - not so perfect. I often try on 6 things and if luck is with me, 2 or 3 make the cut.

The other day in Nordstrom I tried on 7 items but came away with just three.

Sometimes I don't see anything that I want to try - it really depends.

I ordered some cute espadrilles yesterday, they should be here on Monday or Tuesday.

I also have 43 days to wait. Which isn't too bad considering when I started a counter on Princess the wait was 118 days.

I do have to take my formal dress and two casual dresses to be altered. One of the casual dresses won't make the cut. I'm 5'4" so petite fits small and regular always hits below the knees so it looks boring n big. I'm still picking up little things here and there for the trip so I don't feel rushed the last minute.

But still in a way I envy those that have 20 or so days left ;)

I got this catalog in the mail today from www.bostonproper.com WOW!!!! If I was a size 10 and 20 years younger, I would want a lot of these outfits! They are HOT!! Sadly, I'm not.:rolleyes: Not sure how I got on the mail list, but thought maybe some of you young "fashionistas" would enjoy!:)

They sure do have some cute things!!! If only.... :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing.

Boston Proper catalog: great cruising clothes! No petite sizes BUT under Little Black Dresses, there is a one-shoulder dress that would probably only need hemmed...Thanks 5326jan, for sharing:)!

Even though I might not order something, it's fun to look at how a company puts outfits together - always something to learn or give me an idea.

Question: How do you feel about self-tanners? Having never used one, I'd like to hear opinions. My first concern is: how do they wear off? Some articles say they look blotchy. Do they stain your clothes?

No question that warm-weather outfits look better against tanned skin, but I haven't sunbathed in years and a tanning salon isn't for me. With 42 days to go, should I consider a "fake" tan? icon5.gif If so, what brand?

Oh my, I am going to love being a part of this thread! I don't have any cruises till the end of the year, but I have already begun deciding on clothing.

Bought my first piece of clothing/accessory for the cruise today!_6335080.jpg

I couldn't help it, it was just too cute and will look adorable with my daytime beach outfit! [probably a navy bikini covered with a white deep v neck tee and short navy coverup skirt.

Oh my, I am going to love being a part of this thread! I don't have any cruises till the end of the year, but I have already begun deciding on clothing.

Bought my first piece of clothing/accessory for the cruise today!_6335080.jpg

I couldn't help it, it was just too cute and will look adorable with my daytime beach outfit! [probably a navy bikini covered with a white deep v neck tee and short navy coverup skirt.

Very cute!

Hi Ladies! I am so glad I found this thread...I LOVE reading about all your outfits!

I am going on my first cruise in 4 weeks. I am taking my daughter to celebrate her 21st birthday!

I got tons of ideas on here about packing so I started a list as soon as I booked over a month ago. DD is at school and DH doesn't really want to hear about my lists so I was thrilled to see others talking cruise clothes!

I have a black cocktail dress (with shimmery silver threads in a sort of floral pattern) from a gala last year that I will wear for elegant night. I love, love, love the black/pewter sandals I'll wear with it. And a pewter woven Michael Kors clutch.

Because y'all inspired me, I went shopping today. I now have a new bathing suit (we have a boat so it will certainly be worn again), 3 cute cover ups (white, hot pink, and black/white print), another pair of white shorts, a fun floral top, AND two dresses for dinner. One is black and bright floral print. I love it because it looks very islandy! And they are both knits so they will pack well.

We will be driving to port so I don't have to worry about the weight of my suitcase! I really like to have something different for each day. There is no way that I want to do laundry on vacation. If I were wearing black dress pants or something I could see wearing those another time with a different top. I always have an outfit or two of 'comfy clothes' (like sweat shorts and a tee) that I might throw on for breakfast or to hang out on the balcony and I'm ok with wearing those a couple of times. Other than that, I want fresh clothes everyday.

The people who brag about packing in 1 carry on bag would not want to travel with me! But I am planning outfits so I don't think I'll be bring much home unworn.

I plan to visit DSW this week. I'd like a pair of black sandals for day time wear. I've got dressy ones for dinner but need something cute for shorts.

So- how many pairs of shoes does everyone pack?? (Do we have to count flip flops?!)

Hi,

I can't help with a brand for self tanner because I do go to the tanning salon for a few visits before the season. I know it's not good but I just like having a bit of color.

Have you considered an airbrush tan? I've never done it but I've seen a number of people get really nice results.

Hi! I got my stuff from Victorias Secret on Mon and everyting fit great! I am a 8, or juniors 9/10 and ordered a medium! I also shopped at my T J MAxx today and they had Ralph Lauren Beach dresses/cover- ups for 24.99! I bought a white halter terry cloth and a halter hot pink/orange dress/cover-up!:D They are super cute!:D I now have 5 swim suits and 3 cover-ups/beach dresses and 1 maxi dress for my upcoming cruise!:rolleyes:

I got this catalog in the mail today from www.bostonproper.com WOW!!!! If I was a size 10 and 20 years younger, I would want a lot of these outfits! They are HOT!! Sadly, I'm not.:rolleyes: Not sure how I got on the mail list, but thought maybe some of you young "fashionistas" would enjoy!:)

Thanks for sharing. There are several warm-ups and a tunic (to be used as a cover-up) that I'll order during the week. I really need those warm-ups for cool nights in L.A. after the cruise.

Does anyone know if garments run relatively close to size?

What's the quality of clothing?

How is their return policy? I'd hate being stuck with ill or none fitting pieces.:(

Thanks in advance for your responses.:)

LakeGoddess: I'm with you all the way RE wearing an outfit once! No laundry chores while cruising! Surprisingly, everything I pack fits in 1 large + 1 carry-on + 1 big purse. Summer clothes don't take up much room and being a petite size helps, too. Next cruise is 9 nights.

SHOES: Even the 12 PAIRS OF (my size 5.5) SHOES fit:)...that includes 1 pair of beach flip-flops.

Here's an example of how I like to dress on cruising days:

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B3%3Evq%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3B83%3C552335vq0mrj Under the white top is a pink cami. If it's warm the top can come off.

Swimsuits: We, too, have a boat so swimsuits get a lot of wear. 3 swimsuits will go with me + 3 cover-ups.

Victoria's Secret: has the VERY best undergarments IMHO. Matching sets in colors to go with outfits are always a must for cruising. Surprising how good it makes one feel to know your underwear is just as nice as your outerwear;).

Here's a favorite formal night outfit - animal print strapless dress, black silk wrap (I'm on the left):

232323232%7Ffp%3A86%3Evq%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3349499734335vq0mrj