Currency conversion option

MGAfhc

I just went to print my Boarding Pass and find that this option is not there. Is this new? It does state that I have declined currency conversion, but as I recall, in the past, you stated that when listing your credit card, but you still had to make a selection on the Boarding Pass for onboard charges.

(edit) oddly DW's Boarding Pass does have the option.

I just went to print my Boarding Pass and find that this option is not there. Is this new? It does state that I have declined currency conversion, but as I recall, in the past, you stated that when listing your credit card, but you still had to make a selection on the Boarding Pass for onboard charges.

(edit) oddly DW's Boarding Pass does have the option.

Whoever listed themselves as the owner of the card would have the currency conversion option. If you both have the same card but one is the "owner", that would be the case since the same card would be used for both folios. At least that's my guess but I honestly don't know for sure.

Two separate credit cards (I don't need to know what she purchases once onboard).

My only concern is that in the past it has been difficult enough to get the onboard staff to notice the selection even when I tick the correct option and mark out the other with a heavy black felt pen wavy line through the text. With just the small printed text line it seems unlikely they will notice at all. I guess I will try a heavy black marker circle around it to get their attention.

I went back through the Personalizer and found that there are now three choices when listing your credit card:

I acknowledge that I have been provided the detail terms of the currency conversion program.

-Yes, please handle the currency conversion

-No, let my credit card company handle the currency conversion

- I will decide at the pier

Changing to 'decide at pier' brings back the option on the Boarding Pass. There are no options in the Personalizer when listing a second credit card.

The current market quote is 1.00US$=0.985CAD. I believe Princess is still converting at$1.10CAD for US$.

I got cash yesterday from the Royal Bank, $500.00 US, cost all in, $505.00 CAD. I believe Visa will be about the same as the bank. $500.00 purchases through Princess would cost me $550.00 if I let them do the conversion.

The problem we get is that Princess change it to sterling at an unfavourable rate, then our credit card charges for an international transaction. For us it is best left as dollars and we only get hit once.

Our last cruise, the CC exchange was okay, so we were happy.

Matthew

The current market quote is 1.00US$=0.985CAD. I believe Princess is still converting at$1.10CAD for US$.

I got cash yesterday from the Royal Bank, $500.00 US, cost all in, $505.00 CAD. I believe Visa will be about the same as the bank. $500.00 purchases through Princess would cost me $550.00 if I let them do the conversion.

I throught the Princess conversion is 3% premium of the current exchange rate. Buying cash from a bank is quite different from charging foreign currency on the credit card.

I throught the Princess conversion is 3% premium of the current exchange rate. Buying cash from a bank is quite different from charging foreign currency on the credit card.

That is 3% of the current Princess exchange rate which is usally much worse than the real world exchange rate.

Our experience with Princess is that this instruction often 'falls through' the cracks. We go to the Purser's office mid cruise and get a confirmation. More often than not, this second request appears to be the first that they claim to know about it. Do not let Princess do the conversion...their rate is scandalous.

That is 3% of the current Princess exchange rate which is usally much worse than the real world exchange rate.

That would make a difference .... BIG difference ....

I think I should look into getting credit cards for all the destinations or major currencies like Euros, Peso, Raminbi & Yens

Well good luck with that. Last year I chose the currency option online - US dollars because my bank gives a better rate than Princess - at check in at the port, and then twice onboard because somehow they kept screwing up that my husband's onboard expenses were to be charged to my credit card. So 4 times I chose the US option and they still charged me in Canadian dollars. Next time I'll do what my father does. Bring cash and pay down the bill at purser's desk a couple of days before disembarking.

The footnote to this story is that Princess still refuses to refund the incorrect charge and put the US charge through and somehow or other they still have not charged my credit card for husband's onboard account even though I contacted them again by phone, by letter, by email, and by fax all within a month of returning from my cruise to remind them to fix the currency charged and to put his charges to my credit card....

We must have been lucky so far as we have no billing issues with them yet. (knock on wood). We don't like to use credit cards out of the country so we carry a cash and usually we pay the account with whatever excess cash we have left, and then the balance get charged to the credit card.

I'm a dual citizen Aussie/USA travelling on an American passport for the cruise. Unless there is a major frequent flyer promo, I will probably use my Aussie Amex to pay the shipboard account. Would they know it's an Aussie card or just automatically charge in USD since I booked as an American?

I'm a dual citizen Aussie/USA travelling on an American passport for the cruise. Unless there is a major frequent flyer promo, I will probably use my Aussie Amex to pay the shipboard account. Would they know it's an Aussie card or just automatically charge in USD since I booked as an American?

We book as Americans as well. The short answer is yes they do know it is an Australian credit card by the numbers, so ensure you tick the box to let your bank do the conversion, not Princess. I don't know if you have heard of 28 Degrees Credit card available in Australia. No annual fee, no points, but most importantly, no ATM fees overseas and NO foreign currency conversion costs. It is amazing.

Beryl

We have just returned from Grand Princess and despite filling in the forms and visiting the pursers office to confirm the amount would be charged in dollars Princess still converted it to pounds. This resulted in an extra charge of £25($37) compared to what my credit card would have charged and this was for average on board charges. I have emailed princess to refund me but have heard nothing yet. It seems they do this and hope that people won't notice, giving Princess extra income.

We have just returned from Grand Princess and despite filling in the forms and visiting the pursers office to confirm the amount would be charged in dollars Princess still converted it to pounds. This resulted in an extra charge of £25($37) compared to what my credit card would have charged and this was for average on board charges. I have emailed princess to refund me but have heard nothing yet. It seems they do this and hope that people won't notice, giving Princess extra income.

We have heard this happens to lots of people. Fortunately it has not happened to us. I always tick the relevant box but also go to the Purser's Desk to double check they have the correct information.

If I am doubtful it has been done, I go to the Purser's Desk a day or so before the cruise ends (we usually do longer cruises) and ask to pay the current charges at that stage. Then I can be assured it is going through in US$ and if the small balance is charged in AU$ I can live with that. Not that it has happened so far.

Hope this helps.

Beryl

We also go to the Purser's desk a few days before the end of the cruise and pay our outstanding amount by credit card in British Pounds. At this time it is done manually. If the final amount is then incorrectly processed it is only a small amount.

I am not sure why you would want to pay in GBP; this is where Princess rips you off in my opinion. I always want to pay in US$ and let my bank do the conversion, not Princess.

Beryl

What was so annoying about Grand Princess was I'd actually been to the pursers desk at the beginning of the cruise and on the last day to make sure this didn't happen. I was assured it would be charged in dollars. Next time I will get this in writing!!! The same happened a few years ago with RCI but when I contacted them they sent a cheque out within a few days for the difference. I will post back with the result when I hear from Princess.

Yes they always assure you it will be ok but then they convert it to pounds anyway. After this happening to us we pay manually in US dollars before they do the automatic billing overnight. If you contact Princess in England and complain they usually refund any difference but it takes up your time and many don't get round to it.

The problem we get is that Princess change it to sterling at an unfavourable rate, then our credit card charges for an international transaction. For us it is best left as dollars and we only get hit once.

Our last cruise, the CC exchange was okay, so we were happy.

Matthew

Matt...Coming from the uk then would it be best to let our bank do it?

Archived