What does "Escape Completely" mean to you?

playingfetch

I've been on four cruises, two with Carnival and two with Princess. I've noticed that many passengers carry cell phones, use computers, and watch CNN on deck the entire cruise. I don't have anything against any of the above, and I believe that they all have their times and places. But on a cruise? When I'm not on a cruise I read, exercise, use computers and cell phones, and watch the news. When I'm on a cruise, I don't feel like doing the above. I just want to escape reality and have fun. "Escape Completely" to me is to escape reality and have fun. That to me is a real vacation. :)

This post sort of reminds me of the bus man's holiday. For some people, a holiday or vacation may entail doing the same thing - just in a different enviornment. Why make an issue of it? Some people like to run with the bulls in Pamplona, others like to veg on a cruise ship.

I guess, what difference does it make what others are doing as long as it is legal and doesn't disrupt someone else's vacation?

Sun ...sand and sea

No housecleaning

no cooking

sometimes laundry But not everyday

Lovely dinners

Great shows

Breakfast outdoors ...Lunch outdoors in the sun or shade

The woosh woosh of waves and seabreezes

Sunrises and sunsets on balcony with my pot of coffee brought by room service

Unpacking ONCE !!! Different islands and places to explore

Snorkeling ....seeing the underwater marvels

Dressing for dinner in leisure fashion

Yes you got it ...I LOVE CRUISING!!! Princess too

michele

I cruise because I can ditch the cell phone, email, texts and computers. I enjoy being in an environment where the cell phones are not going off or people are constantly talking on them and if they are, I know it is costing them a lot of money:rolleyes:!

We are often way to "connected" and escaping completly means being relieved of the 1,000 pound device which is strapped to my hip!

That and volcano sundaes in the dining room:D!

Happy Cruising:D:D

sun ...sand and sea

no housecleaning

no cooking

sometimes laundry but not everyday

lovely dinners

great shows

breakfast outdoors ...lunch outdoors in the sun or shade

the woosh woosh of waves and seabreezes

sunrises and sunsets on balcony with my pot of coffee brought by room service

unpacking once !!! Different islands and places to explore

snorkeling ....seeing the underwater marvels

dressing for dinner in leisure fashion

yes you got it ...i love cruising!!! Princess too

michele

ditto!!!

This post sort of reminds me of the bus man's holiday. For some people, a holiday or vacation may entail doing the same thing - just in a different enviornment. Why make an issue of it? Some people like to run with the bulls in Pamplona, others like to veg on a cruise ship.

I guess, what difference does it make what others are doing as long as it is legal and doesn't disrupt someone else's vacation?

I am with you let each do his or her own thing. As long as they are not bothering others computers, cell phone, the gym, etc are their choice.

I've been on four cruises, two with Carnival and two with Princess. I've noticed that many passengers carry cell phones, use computers, and watch CNN on deck the entire cruise. I don't have anything against any of the above, and I believe that they all have their times and places. But on a cruise? When I'm not on a cruise I read, exercise, use computers and cell phones, and watch the news. When I'm on a cruise, I don't feel like doing the above. I just want to escape reality and have fun. "Escape Completely" to me is to escape reality and have fun. That to me is a real vacation. :)

My choice is either to go with iPhone and laptop or not at all. It's an easy choice for me. I check in every 2nd or 3rd day on cruises longer than a week. Some of us have ailing parents, kids at summer camp or somewhere else, needy clients (whose revenue pays for my vacation and I will never forget that), and others who depend on us. We are taking our kids with us this summer on our cruise. Of course, that makes our vacation more stressful rather than less. But it's all good. It's all about what works best for each individual. I don't have to "escape completely" to have an incredible vacation.

We're fortunate that our jobs can be left behind, there is no way either of us have the need to stay connected to work. I realize that's not the case for everyone, but don't all people who can afford to vacation deserve to really get away from it all for a week or so? Whatever did you do before cell phones and laptops?

That said, escaping completely for us means to get away from everyday life and stress. We leave our worries behind when we board a cruise ship. Even if the trip isn't perfect, we keep in mind how lucky we are to be able to escape and see another part of the world/country than we see at home.

No cooking, no driving, no housework, no laundry (send it out) and the best part is being on the ocean. We love the ocean.

For me means none of the electronics. I

No silly hairy man annoucments

3 sitdown meals, tea, and nice gym to workout and than great port excursions with NO cell phone too!

For others I guess its the ability to surf on the ship ;)

We agree!! No computer and no cell phone on vacation.

IF something happens while I am away there is nothing much I can do about it soooo not necessary for me to hear anything until I am back on dry land

I did order my new car one time while on the high seas.

john

My DH loves taking pictures on vacation and he edits them as he goes. He is using his computer for what he loves to do. To him that is the same as someone sipping on a cocktail watching the world pass by. You know what they say..."Whatever floats your boat"...

Well, internet, cell phones, laptops are all part of my recreational life at home, so I don't feel the need to avoid them while on vacation. I don't need to watch CNN or ESPN at home, but I do because I like to, so I don't run from a lounge that has a TV on. I don't care if someone wants to be totally disconnected from the world while they are away, so I don't know why someone like that would feel everyone else should be disconnected as well. I don't sit around getting plastered on a cruise (or at home), but I don't care if others do.

Besides, I also took a little satisfaction in knowing that while I'm sitting on the beach in Labadee in 89 degree heat, there is a snowstorm back home. And I'm sure my Facebook friends were happy to hear about it LOL.

I really don't care if people feel the need to bring electronics on board. In fact, in two of our ports, my daughter and I did stop by an Internet cafe just to do a little chatting (maybe about 5 to 10 minutes) with friends. I turned on my cell in port just to make sure I didn't get any messages (thankfully none).

I'm not a person who enjoys gabbing on the phone at home so I certainly wouldn't want to do that on vacation. I would also like to be spared sitting next to someone on the deck who wants to whip out their phone just to boast to someone, "guess where I'm calling from." That wouldn't be relaxing for me -- let them call from off the ship or in their cabin and leave the rest of us to our idea of relaxation.

I think one of the previous posters mentioned ailing parents, kids, etc. My MIL had a heart attack while we were on a cruise and they had to call the ship to get word to us. On another cruise my Grandmother died. That time we had a cell phone and were able to make arrangements to get home.

Sometimes you just have to be available when you have other people counting on you. My parents are in their 80's and I worry every time I go away that something will happen. My sister and I plan vacations so that one of us is always around.

DH also has a business to run and needs to be available to handle high level personnel issues. That doesn't happen often, but when it does....:rolleyes:

I have always thought no elecrtronics is the best way for me to escape it all. I NEVER worry about my cell phone, laptop, ipod when I'm on a cruise but if I don't have it on me at home I freak out.

That being said, I am a college student, and this summer I am enrolled in 4 summer classes. I will have to take my laptop with me on our summer cruise so I can take my tests and do my assignments (late at night after I'm done for the day). I chose to take the summer courses and therefore I have to sacrifice some of my time to ensure I get the right grades. Taking 30 minutes out of my day three times during a cruise will not kill me. It's a part of life for some people.

Also, I don't use the internet to surf facebook, cruise critic and talk to friends. I can do that AFTER vacation! :D

First, let me just say that if I wanted to "escape completely," I wouldn't go on a cruise ship! :-) I'd go instead to (say) a remote village in Alaska...

But I'm also a recreational internet user. I enjoy the challenge of making technology work in remote areas, and posting a report every day or two to friends and family. Meanwhile, I can't stand bingo or karaoke. To each his own! :-)

I am afraid that as the last person wrote, 'You can't escape completely on a cruise ship'.

Several years ago, doing a B2B in Alaska, our daughter called, while we were in Whittier, to inform me that my best friend of over 30 years had passed away.

john

Sun ...sand and sea

No housecleaning

no cooking

sometimes laundry But not everyday

Lovely dinners

Great shows

Breakfast outdoors ...Lunch outdoors in the sun or shade

The woosh woosh of waves and seabreezes

Sunrises and sunsets on balcony with my pot of coffee brought by room service

Unpacking ONCE !!! Different islands and places to explore

Snorkeling ....seeing the underwater marvels

Dressing for dinner in leisure fashion

Yes you got it ...I LOVE CRUISING!!! Princess too

michele

With all of those lovely things listed above, I am on vacation. If I check the email occasionally, so be it - the rest makes up for it.

• 2 weeks later...

on our honeymoon we did a 16 day cruise. When we got off the ship I remembered nothing related to work, my password to log in, my wife forgot the combination to her hospital locker, forgot all kinds of things we did. I'd say we escaped that trip.

Archived