At Which Point Should We Purchase Travel Insurance?

florida lover

Do you or family members not traveling with you have medical conditions that might cause you to cancel or come home early?

If that is not a concern, then you should purchase when you make final payment or shortly there after.

Do you or family members not traveling with you have medical conditions that might cause you to cancel or come home early?

If that is not a concern, then you should purchase when you make final payment or shortly there after.

We have a frail family member we worry about, what should we do about insurance in this case?

Thank you.

There is a poster here - Ken - who is very insurance knowledgeable. Hope he'll come to this.

When did you make initial deposit? If it was longer than about 14-21 days ago then you will have to buy CSA Freestyle Lux policy. If I remember, Ken said that is the only one that will have a pre-existing conditions waiver with no look back period if bought at final payment. But I don't know about buying after final payment.

Pat is correct. Ken076 or Cruiseco could probably help a little more.

I will ask a couple of more questions that might make it easier for them to help you.

1. Which cruiseline are you taking?

2. What nationality are you? US, Canadian, UK (It makes a difference based on each countries consumer protection laws)

3. When did you make initial deposit?

Pat is correct. Ken076 or Cruiseco could probably help a little more.

I will ask a couple of more questions that might make it easier for them to help you.

1. Which cruiseline are you taking?

2. What nationality are you? US, Canadian, UK (It makes a difference based on each countries consumer protection laws)

3. When did you make initial deposit?

Cruiseline: PRINCESS

Nationality: US citizen

Initial deposit: Jan 7,2011

Thank you

For most policies, to have pre-existing conditions covered (for you or any close family members) or to be able to purchase cancel anytime insurance, you would have had to purchase insurance within about 14 days of the date you paid the first deposit for this trip.

To obtain this coverage now will cost a lot more, if it's even available.

We have a frail family member we worry about, what should we do about insurance in this case?

Thank you.

If that family member is NOT traveling with you your two best options are:

#1 Buy a CSA plan no later than the date you make the final payment. DON'T use insuremytrip for this as you'll have to pay much more for the Custom Luxe plan to get the pre-existing conditoion coverage. Instead get the Freestyle plan through squaremouth.com, tripinsurancestore.com or travelinsurancecenter.com

#2 Choose a plan that does not apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members, The newer plans from Travelex are one example.

If the family member IS traveling with you the you're back to CSA

• 2 weeks later...
There is a poster here - Ken - who is very insurance knowledgeable. Hope he'll come to this.

When did you make initial deposit? If it was longer than about 14-21 days ago then you will have to buy CSA Freestyle Lux policy. If I remember, Ken said that is the only one that will have a pre-existing conditions waiver with no look back period if bought at final payment. But I don't know about buying after final payment.

There are a couple other policies also that will cover pre-ex, just have to know where to look. I help my insurnace clients all the time (primarily I do health, life, long term care) and those clients want extra protection when they travel...depending on their speific needs I help them choose from among a few carriers and specific policies.

They key is to know what you are getting and not just accept the only policy that may float by.

Archived