Travel Insurance/ Credit Card / U.S. Cruisers

cantwait2cruize

Here in Canada when you book your vacation with your credit card you are automatically covered for travel insurance. Is this not the same in the U.S.:confused:

Yes, you can do that in Canada, but be VERY careful, and read the policy carefully. Some offer truly pathetic coverage, and many discontinue it for 65 year olds and older. Read the fine print. Some policies offer unlimited medical; credit card companies don't. Also, their covered reasons for cancelling are very few.

I personally wouldn't rely upon credit card coverage and nothing else.

I'm in the middle of a claim's process with my travel insurer right now in Canada. Long story.. ;)

In the US my coverage with my card is

Lost baggage

Lost jewelery

Rental car coverage

Medical assist (this only means they will assist in finding a Dr. or hospital. Does not impl they will pay the bills.)

Intrepretor assistance

Not going to cover trip delay or trip cancellation. Not going to pay for medical, let alone pre-existing medical. Not going to pay for repatriation of remains. Not going to pay for evacuation back to home/local University Hospital. etc,etc

Here in Canada when you book your vacation with your credit card you are automatically covered for travel insurance. Is this not the same in the U.S.:confused:

Insurance regulations are very different here in the US. One problem is that there is a cost to this "free" coverage that's embedded in the fees you pay for the card and in most cases you cannot opt-out of this included benefit. Even if you never travel, you are subsidizing the cancellation insurance costs for those that do.

In the US the insurance laws are set up by the various states to keep this to a minimum. Some states are tougher than others so whatever travel benefits are included in the credit card can vary greatly depending on residence. Most will allow "membership" types of benefits such as road hazard and towing -- a part of your yearly fee buys you a membership in some AAA-like club. Same with emergency evac services. Some will allow rental car coverage, others won't. But I don't think any will allow trip cancellation coverage because they want their residents to be able to accept/decline this coverage on a trip-by-trip basis so those that don't want or need the coverage don't have to pay for it.

Archived