arriving the night before

Will Cruze

Our flights get in after 11:30pm. Being our first time I am unsure whether or not to stay near the airport or renting a car and stay near the port.

We are sailing on the CC Dream which leaves at 4pm the following day

Anyone have any experience or answers or suggestions on which way is better??

Please help

So I assume you are flying into Orlando and sailing out of Port Canaveral? About a 45 min drive?

I would most probably stay at the airport - you will be tired - your flight may be delayed or late and renting a car and driving and checking in etc would take at least another 1.5 hours!

Well, I wouldn't want to rent a car for that short period of time. You didn't say which port you are sailing from, flying into. But, so many of the hotels have free shuttles from the airport and to the pier. If not free, charge isn't significant.

Good luck and enjoy!

I am flying into MCO to sailing CC Dream out of Port Canaveral. I was originally going to rent a car and drive to the port to save cash, but now I just feel comfortable renting one for 12 hours. So does anyone have a suggestion of a hotel near the airport that has a shuttle?

Can you tell this is my first time?

I am flying into MCO to sailing CC Dream out of Port Canaveral. I was originally going to rent a car and drive to the port to save cash, but now I just feel comfortable renting one for 12 hours. So does anyone have a suggestion of a hotel near the airport that has a shuttle?

Can you tell this is my first time?

Stay at the Hyatt that night and go to the port next morning. Hyatt is right inside the terminal at MCO.

We rented a car because we stayed for a couple of days in Orlando. We did not have a one way surcharge. We had our kids so it worked out good for the four of us. If it is only two of you and you do not need to stop at a store a shuttle may be good for you. Check out the Florida departure board and here is link to a thread about this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1349785

Have fun

Rick

Our flight was late getting in also. We stayed at the Embassy Suites airport. If you call them for reservations at the main hotel, the van drivers ( Terry/Ed/Bill ) can set you up for being driven to the port and a pickup for a very good price. (Half of what I paid Carnival for transport)

Embassy Suites ( 10 minutes from Orlando airport ) picked us up at the airport that night, took us to Wallmart so we could buy a few sodas and then back to the hotel.

We didn't know about Terry/Ed/Bills transportation, so we booked through Carnival and the van from Embassy took us, with our luggage, back to the airport that next morning to ride the Carnival Bus to the ship. Across the street from Embassy is Marriot, Crowne Plaza, and the Hilton. They all provide transport to and from the airport.

Lots of cruisers rent cars one way from MCO to PC and then back PC to MCO after their cruise. Compare the costs of a rental to a shuttle and decide if the hassel is worth the dollar$$ you could save.

Shuttle services that have been suggested on these boards inlclude Cruisexpressfla (for about $20 per person each way), Star Trans, Cocoa Beach shuttle, and Travelynx. Good luck! :)

Having flown into MCO and cruised out of Port Canaveral, I would suggest staying near the airport and taking one of the shuttles to the port the next day. Another poster gave you recommendations for a shuttle, and Carnival has one, too.

It's not a terribly long drive (about an hour maybe, depending on traffic), but I didn't want the stress of driving in unfamiliar territory on my first day of vacation.

You may want to look into the Radisson Resort at the Port. I know they have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal and they may just have a hotel shuttle from the airport. Bring that you'll be getting in so late, they may not, but it's worth checking out. Right now you can get a standard room for $121. It wouldn't hurt to just check what's available. It might be nice to wake up knowing you're right next to the terminal rather than having to worry about getting a ride from the airport area.

Hi there.. We have sailed out of Port Canaveral several times. We always use Cocoa Beach Shuttle. They will pick you up at the airport and take you to your hotel in Port Canaveral.

Very nice to wake up in the morning and know all you have is a 5 minute trip and you are at the ship.

If you do this make sure any hotel you use knows you are arriving late...

http://www.cbshuttle.com/index.htm

Check www.carrentals.com to compare rates among several car rental companies. MCO is easy for cars and PC is not that big - they all pick up and shuttle. It is only about an hour's drive so a 12:45 flight should be easy - but then so is relaxing while someone else drives the shuttle. ;)

Good luck! :)

Thanks

So far I got a rate of @ $104 at the Hyatt at the airport and $150 RT shuttle through travelynx.

I love this board. you guys rock. I can relax and enjoy my cruise knowing the "how" part is solved.

Try to go to the "New I work in Port Canaveral" thread and find more options for shuttle services. It is a long thread but the first page already provided a lot of good information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119114

Hotel rate is good. I've never stayed at the Hyatt there. We traveled in a party of 6 and arrived a day in advance in the morning so renting a mini-van and stayed at Port Canaveral made more sense in our case. But My friend and his DW DS flew in late at MCO (also 11:30pm) and said the Hyatt was very convenient.

Good luck!

We are flying in the day before also. I like to drive to a hotel near the port to get the drive over with. I can relax better knowing I don't have to wake up and drive for 50mins in the morning. We booked a one way through Budget for $60. Since it is three of us, this was cheaper than the Carnival shuttle. I'm staying at Country Inn Suites Cape Canaveral. The next morning we'll drop the car off (about 5 min drive) then head over to the ship.

For me driving as soon as I arrive is better. Get it over, check into the hotel and sleep until 10a.

The hotels in Cape Canaveral are more expensive than Orlando, but for me I like being closer to the port.

Archived