Pre Cruise Hotel Galveston

tinsel57

The Treemont and Galvez are by far the nicer hotels in the area and offer great amenities and shuttles to the Pier.

Prices will vary due to the time of year and occupancy level and your requested date of departure, if it's a Sunday night verses a Saturday, for instance.

While the cost will be more than many of the other hotels in the area, you can not come close to the quality level.

I want my vacation to start the moment I leave my house so I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for something nice. It beats $25 less for stark and sometimes less than clean.

But everyone's different. I know others that will stay in Houston and shuttle in or drive. I couldn't figure that out, surely you save on hotel rates but don't have have to pay the shuttle or pay for Pier parking? If you do, I can't see much savings.

But that's why there are all sorts of hotels at all sorts of prices. Only you can decide what's right for you and your budget.

• 3 weeks later...
We just made reservations for the night before our 12/28/04 cruise on the Grand Princess at the Treemont. They told us they do not have provide a shuttle to the pier but that it is only a very short taxi ride so guess that isn't such a big deal. We got a rate of $107 with a king bed so we felt that was quite good considering some of the other rates at the Galvez and Moody Garden. That was the web rate but they offered it to me when I phoned. There are no cancellation privileges with that rate.

I have made a reservation for Hotel Galvez for March 12, 2005 for one night.:)

I didn't know if I wanted Galvez or Treemont, but Treemont would not budge letting me book one night! :( I spoke to 2 seperate managers at the hotel!
He said it's because mine is a Saturday night request, no way. I even told him people are doing it on Priceline, he says yes but no room special request or quarantees.:confused:

Oh well, guess he made my decsion, Hotel Galvez it is:D ....

• 4 weeks later...
I guess you have to hit the right person at the right time. I called the Tremont and they asked if I was going on a cruise and I said yes. I asked for a Friday nite stay in February. Then I was told there was no availability there, or at the Harbor House, or at the Galvez...and to check back in late October.

I wonder what the results would be if I told them NO, I am not on a cruise.

I will try this later and report back.

I tried the Tremont again today, giving no cruise info...but still got the same results. Some travel agent has most likely reserved a block of rooms. I have no idea where we'll stay. I guess I'll keep trying, hoping some will open up.

We have been told that we may leave our car at the Hotel Galvez if we stay the night before our cruise. By leaving the car at the hotel we won't have to pay for parking at the terminal. We haven't tried this yet but will let you know how it goes next month. We are sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas on November 14th.

Lynndpi

Depending on when you try to book a hotel in Galveston has an effect on your prices. During Spring Break and the Summer months I would suspect that the rates are higher as it would be peak season.

We stayed at a Best Western in near the Space Center and the beds were like rocks. We went to the Space Center and Kemah. The night before our cruise we stayed at the [url="Commodoreonthebeach"]Commodoreonthebeach[/url] and the beds were very comfortable, continental breakfast, shuttle to the ship free, and a great staff. Yes I would pay $100 for the free parking, breakfast, and close to Caseys & Guido's.

I do believe that they charge you a higher rate and a parking fee when it is peak season. We will use them again.

Colleen

I just booked The Tremont. We now need transportation from the airport to the hotel. I see on their website that they list prices for the limo, shuttle and taxi service. The shuttle is quite a bit less. Anyone have any info on this service?

After months of trying to get a good deal in Galveston for 12/12 Elation, and not being satisfied with the options, I was playing around on Priceline and put in the low bid of $36 for 2 1/2 star hotel in the Nasa/Clear Lake and it was accepted!
The hotel is the Houston Nasa-Clear Lake Hilton. We stayed here a few years ago before our cruise on the Rhapsody ($50+ on Priceline then). Very nice hotel on Clear Lake and across the street from the Houston Space Center (great for the kids). Great restaurants, Kemah Boardwalk close by, short drive to Galveston the next morning (about 30 minutes). If you are going to use one of the public or pier lots to park anyway, consider the Clear Lake/Nasa area for your stay, the deals are better and its a very nice area.

We are also going on the 11/25 Galaxy and for that one we are staying at the Harbor House next to the pier and leaving the car with them. (free parking). Price was only $89 for 11/24. The price for 12/11 was MUCH higher.

We couldn't get into any of the main 3 in Galveston because our sail date coincides with Galveston's Mardi Gras Weekend (2/4/04).

Therefore, we simply booked the Marriott at the airport. We'll take a shuttle to Galveston the following day, the 5th.

If anyone else is sailing during this weekend, I'd advise you to start your search now, because the sooner the better.

FYI: A bunch of us got a $99 rate at the Hilton in Galveston for our Rhapsody cruise on 12/5. They are now booked up for that date, but they may have the "cruise special" for other Saturday nights before the cruise as well. They have a shuttle to the pier too.

• 4 months later...
We're booked at the Super 8 in Galveston before our December 24, 2005 cruise. Rates are about $55/room, and they're either KING or 2 QUEEN beds. Doesn't sound too bad to me, and apparently it's one of the top 100 SUPER 8's in the US.

Anybody familiar with it?

R. Aubrey Hawton

We stayed at the Hotel Galvez before our January cruise on the Grand. We normally choose really nice hotels and although this was not the best hotel we have seen, it was very nice, escpecially considering some of the other hotels/motels we saw down there...The service was excellent and the bar and restaurant were great as well.

[quote name='chrisntam']
We are also going on the 11/25 Galaxy and for that ................................. Price was only $89 for 11/24. The price for 12/11 was MUCH higher.[/QUOTE]

Hope you haven't booked the hotel yet, the Galaxy leaves on the 24th November :)

[url="http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/"]http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/[/url]

shuttle service

Also the San Luis and Moody Gardens Hotel haven't been mentioned both very nice properties. There are a number of the less expensive Super 8 etc, do a search for Galveston Hotels.
Two locals are the Commadore, and Gaido's both older but clean, plus right by one of the best restaurants on the island.

Archived