Pre Cruise Hotel Galveston

tinsel57

I've cruised out of Galveston 4 times and have paid massive amounts of money - The Holiday in on the Beach a fairly nice hotel - but overpriced. The Brentwood STAY AWAY!

Last year we discovered the Drury Inn on the Interstate in Houston - about a 40 minute drive to the Pier. It is an extremely nice hotel with free cocktails and snacks in the evening and complimentary breakfast in the mornings. It also has an indoor pool and free long distance. The best part - the rate $69.95. We will be sailing on the Rhapsody 5/29 and I've already made a reservation at the Drury again.

My advice - save your money for the cruise - stay on the outskirts of Houston and enjoy a nice, clean room at a reasonable price. This Drury is close to Houston Hobby for those who are interested.

Regards,

txtvsales

[quote name='Moonstoners']We're booked at the Super 8 in Galveston before our December 24, 2005 cruise. Rates are about $55/room, and they're either KING or 2 QUEEN beds. Doesn't sound too bad to me, and apparently it's one of the top 100 SUPER 8's in the US.

Anybody familiar with it?

R. Aubrey Hawton[/QUOTE]
Hey stoners,:D

Yeah, we stayed there 2 years back. Nothing fancy, but clean and comfy. Then we found the Holiday Inn on the Beach. We liked their free parking and shuttle service. When and if we go back to Galveston we will stay there again. Check their prices against Motel 8 and the cost of parking in a commercial lot and the hassel of getting to and from the cruise terminal. HI wins, hands down IMHO.

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.
Clackey

• 2 weeks later...
Whenever we go to Galveston, for a cruise or just a vacation, we always stay at the Casa Del Mar. They can be a little pricey, up to 189.00/night. But all the rooms are ocean view with balcony's. They are really mini-suites. They have a mini kitchen, seperate master bedroom, a sofa that pull out for a double bed, and 2 bunk beds in the hall way. This makes it a great place for family's to have a little extra room. They are right on Seawall Blvd so the beach is right across the street. They let you park while on your cruise, you just have to get to the pier on your own.

I wish people would stop bashing Galveston, it's doing the best it can with limited accommodations. Before the cruise ships came, their weekend rates were always higher with a 2 night minimum, it doesn't sound like that has changed. The Port has imposed a drop off fee for shuttles which is why they now charge. There are some first class properties there, the Tremont, Galvez, San Luis, Moody Gardens, and quite a number of smaller properties. The Victorian Condos offers a pretty good deal for larger parties. Harbor House looks strange online because of its design, but it is quite a nice small hotel right at the terminals.

I just booked a RCCL cruise for Jan 2- I was going to wait a bit to book hotel rooms, but after reading all these posts, I decided I'd better do it soon. Most of the hotels are either already booked for Jan 1 or have a 2 night minimum- I took the advice of people here and booked at Holiday Inn on the Beach. $71.20 a night- who could ask for anything lower! We needed a handicapped shuttle to the cruise terminal - I called and they have one. I'm happy- thanks for all the advice!

For those looking for a basic, clean comfortable room - check out Gaido's. They don't show up on the big booking sites - just on Galveston.com We originally got the name from a poster here on the boards who stays there each cruise. They run the cruise special listed below, and also have a continental breakfast as well. (Much better than when I stayed at the Best Western.) It's an old family owned & run operation. When we stayed the prices ran about $47-$75 before the discount. Did dinner at Casey's with the coupon and had way to much good food! As we hooked up with some other cruisers, we got a taxi van for about $4 a person to the cruise pier. We plan to use them again for our November cruise. Over all it works out to a very good deal. Nothing fancy, but clean & comfortable which is all I'm looking for in a quick overnight stay.

We are offering a special for guests who are in Galveston to either depart on or return from a cruise. This special rate includes a $10 gift certificate to either
, 10% off your stay at Gaido's Seaside Inn, 25% off one purchase at Gaido's Gift Shop, and free parking during the cruise. In order to qualify, guest must have proof of current cruise ticket. Ad must be mentioned at time of reservation. Based on availability. Not valid with any other offer or discount and may not be available during special events and holidays.

I just booked a RCCL cruise for Jan 2- I was going to wait a bit to book hotel rooms, but after reading all these posts, I decided I'd better do it soon. Most of the hotels are either already booked for Jan 1 or have a 2 night minimum- I took the advice of people here and booked at Holiday Inn on the Beach. $71.20 a night- who could ask for anything lower! We needed a handicapped shuttle to the cruise terminal - I called and they have one. I'm happy- thanks for all the advice!

Are you on that 10 day crusie from RCCL my DH and I will be on that, be our first crusie after my going thro CHemo, We had a crusie booked for oct 3 as well but it may be too soon for me, we are looking forwards to this 10 day crusie n see now we best get our room booked asap Valerie

I just booked my daughter and her party at the holiday Inn beachfront last month. They said it was great, had a great view, and everyone was very nice. Easy shuttle to and from the beach, the driver was very kind to them.

Very resonable considering the other beachfront pricing.

• 4 weeks later...

We'll be flying into Houston late December for a cruise out of Galveston. We're trying to decide if we should stay in Houston one night and shuttle down to Galveston the next morning, or spend the night in Galveston? After reading all these posts, Houston is looking better. Although I did read somewhere that there's a new hotel in Galveston, Holiday Inn Sunspree, that may be worth a shot. Has anyone stayed there?

Lastly, does anyone know how one can easily and inexpensively get from IAH to HOU? My sister and brother-in-law will be arriving at IAH, while we will be at Hobby. Everyone is using miles, so switching airlines is not an option.

Thanks for the help.

Judy

I think staying in Galveston or Houston depends on what you want out of it. I've done a million biz trips to Houston and to me, there a hotel is a hotel and that's about it. I prefer Galveston, even if it's a bit pricier because I am after all, on vacation! And I love to walk the beach, feel the sea air, or you can do the tourist stuff and hit Moody Gardens or stroll the strand. It just depends on what you're looking for.

I know lots of people do stay in the outlying areas and prefer a simple clean room with lower rates. But for me, I just can't resist a sea breeze!

Thanks Tinsel57. I am also a stroll the beach type of person and being at the shore would always be my first choice. But we won't have much time to do the tourist thing anyway and I was a little put off by some of the posts that eluded to Galveston being a little seedier than most East or West coast beach communities. Who needs that worry?

If you've ever cruised out of Galveston, do you recall if we'll get to see oil drilling platforms offshore? I sat for many hours looking at those when we cruised out of New Orleans, it was fascinating.

Judy

I've lived in NY, Florida and now live in Texas. Do I think that Galveston is seedy? Some parts. But I think New Orleans is far seedier!!! And I can say the same for parts of FL among other places, as well. Have you been to Atlantic City? 1 block off the strip is poverty. It's all relative.

Galveston is not Collins Street in Miami or las Olas in Ft Lauderdale if that's what you mean, but it's not exactly inner city either! Can't speak for the west coast.

I will tell you that you wouldn't think seedy staying at the Galvez, the Treemont, the Holiday Inn on the Beach.

Galveston is an old coastal community town and you're going to see variations, some growth and some refurbishment and some isn't there yet. They're trying. I wouldn't land vacation there, I do think there are better places and value for the money, but that's just my opinion and if you were to do a little research you'd find, there are plenty pouring into town weekly that do not share my opinion.

We're like most people precruise. We drive in the day/evening before so I don't have a lot of time and I've no interest to do the local site seeing but I'd still pick the local coastal hotels over Houston. What's so great about a hotel in the middle of asphalt? I'd still rather be sitting, even for a few hours at night and certainly in the am rather than driving another hour to get into town, I'd much rather be sitting coastal.

Oil rigs, yes, in abundance. Loved watching them at night too. Very cool.!

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Harbor House in November '04. We were on the Galaxy for their 12 night cruise.

I liked the hotel. I thought the room was nice (and large) and the continental breakfast was pretty good. But the best part was getting to the ship!! The Grand Princess and the Galaxy were both in port, so you can imagine the traffic! The GP was at the closest pier (darn) and the Galaxy was at the next one down. We had a bit of a hike but we are not spring chickens and had no problems. I was just so glad that we didn't have to sit in traffic or wait for a taxi or a shuttle either going or coming. (The day we got back, a Carnival ship was where the GP had been).

I didn't think the cost was bad. I dug out my bill and it was $139.55 Total for the one night and parking. ($20 of that was for the cruise duration parking which I thought was a good deal for 12 nights!!)

I would definately stay there again the next time we sail from Galvestion.

http://www.moodygardens.com/

http://www.tsm-elissa.org/

http://www.galveston.com/

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/

I've cruised out of several Ports; there's as much or more to see and do in Galveston as any other, and much easier to get to.

No, the beaches are brown because it is river sand from the Miss. and the seven rivers of TX and it is very shallow a long way off shore. So, when there is a Southwest wind the water is sandy.

Yes there are many million dollar homes on the island.

Yes it is an old port town so it does have a lot of poor.

Yes the people are friendlier then most y'all will meet.

Yes there are good deals if you look.

I've visited a lot of your cities that had a lot less to offer for a lot more money.

Since I sang the praises of the Harbor House, I thought I should come back and give 'fair warning' about another hotel. Our only other cruise out of Galveston was the Rhapsody of the Sea in May '02. That time we stayed at the Motel 6 on the main thoroughfare thru Galveston...it's what 45 turns into when it gets into town.

It was a nightmare! Dirty (we changed rooms once because the carpet was wet around the air conditioner but the 2nd room wasn't much better), smelly and - as someone mentioned about another hotel - not a place where you'd take one step without your shoes on...and the kind of room where you double and triple check the sheets before you crawl in. We got out of there as quickly as we could the next morning and just drove around a while. Whatever it cost, it was too much! Add terminal parking to whatever it was and you don't come out ahead at all. But we were new to cruising and I knew nothing about sites such as this where so much help is available from so many!

The happy ending to that story was our cruise on the Rhapsody which ranks as our favorite to date!

In Galveston, I have only stayed at the Moody Gardens hotel. I remember it to be very clean and nice. If, I am ever back in Galveston, I would not hesitate to stay there again. Also, they have (or at least had) a nature exhibit in the pyramids on their property. It was pretty neat -- as I remember.

It seems that they also had a very nice pool area and a nice bar/club on an upper level of the hotel that was very nice.

Hope this helps ... :)

We stayed last year at Harbor House for $109 a night pretax. It was fine. Room was very simple but large and clean. Parking was $20. No shuttle service - we walked to the pier which was longer than it looks and arrived sweaty - took forever to cool off. I work out every day so the walk wasn't terrible but it was long and hot. And lots of "fun" rolling our luggage. Take a cab - the fare is probably $5.

We stayed at Commodore several years ago - it was clean and simple, ala 1970's decor. But it served its purpose and shuttled us to and from port for free. Next to Caseys and Gaidos - yummy. Paid I think around $59 back then.

This year Harbor House went up to $170 - not worth it. We booked Hotel Galvez on the Wyndham website with the immediate rate of $143. We go in 2 days early so it is worth it for us to stay somewhere a little nicer. But for a single night, Commodore would be fine for most people if all you want is a place close by to crash and leave your car.

Thanks Tinsel57, good points, I agree about Atlantic City.

Also try the San Luis and Moody Gardens Hotels for class accommodations. Someone who thinks the hotel prices are too high should try booking one in Norway.

It's interesting, I've cruised a fair amount, seen a lot of the world besides.

I really try to adapt to the place and enjoy what it has to offer rather than try to compare it what it isn't. San Lucia is a good example, it's very poor but a beautiful island, I loved it.

Enjoy what Galveston has to offer.

I booked online through www.galvestonsbest.com for July 8 & 9 and paid $90 a night. There's a picture of my room at http://www.ronrythm.com/Elation_05.html and also the view from my window. Nice place, only complaint was their Wifi was down so I couldn't log in to Cruise Critic:D I'll probably stay there again next year.

Archived