Open or Shut: The Balcony Door Debate

thied

We all ways close the door one for that same reason its cooler and two for safety as we a little one with us.

But it was interesting that they said there was no rules from the cruise lines about having the door closed.

If both the cabin door and the balcony door are open a wind tunnel is created out into the hallway.

It is so strong I am surprised belongings aren't "sucked"out of the cabin.

yes and its a pretty strong wind tunnel as well i must agree, I wonder how many thing do get sucked out any one had this happen?

Balcony%20door%20open%20warning.jpg

in the artical it said and nearly asll cruise lines have some sign or sticker saying some thing like this,

Quote from artical

to please keep their balcony door closed -- there is a sign posted on the balcony door," says Princess spokeswoman Karen Candy. "In warmer climates, leaving the balcony door open can impact the efficiency of the onboard air conditioning system."

quote from artical

Holland america seems to take a slightly looser stance on the issue. "It's up to the guest, but we don't have any formal rules on this," says line representative Courtney Recht.

Actually, most of the lines echoed that sentiment, stating things like "no rules, no strict penalties" (Holland America) and "[we don't] have a written, enforceable policy against guests sleeping with their veranda doors open" (Celebrity).

quote from artical

Bottom line: There IS no bottom line.

Nearly all of the cruise lines that responded said they try to discourage passengers from leaving balcony doors open, as it can impact the ship's climate control, but none of the lines specifically said "it's against the rules."

Still, we'd advise using common sense. If you're thinking about leaving your balcony door ajar while you catch some Z's, be smart about it, know your line's official policy on the subject (if there is one), and be prepared to comply if you're asked by crewmembers to close the door, as you may be affecting the comfort of other passengers.

Carnival has the stance on the rules

Love Thied.

We have only had a balcony cabin once and it was just so nice and very peaceful to go to sleep with the door open listening to the sea. Nobody told us to keep it shut anyway. I prefer the door open, weather conditions willing.

Is it not rather noisy with the balcony door open.?

it is nice with the door open but it does make the cabin hot when in the pacific islands, but when cruiseing to nz it just very nice in the day to have the door open.

Love Thied

isnt the balcony door supposed to be shut as it affects the airconditioning

yes but it is nice to have fresh air come into the cabin. and there is no rule that is said you must keep the door shut is there?

_

i reread that article and most of the cruise lines say to keep the door shut because of safety and it saves fuel and they can pass the savings onto the passengers..... if something happened to you or your family who would be jumping up and down blaming the cruise line

_

i have read on different threads it affects the air conditioning in different cabins, ask the experts

yes that is true as we have all read that on many sites and I have said that , BUT there is no rule that is said that we do not have to close the door is there ??????????????????????

_

i reread that article and most of the cruise lines say to keep the door shut because of safety and it saves fuel and they can pass the savings onto the passengers..... if something happened to you or your family who would be jumping up and down blaming the cruise line

from Princess them selves reads and a little different to that sticker and Quote

there is a sign posted on the balcony door," says Princess spokeswoman Karen Candy. "In warmer climates, leaving the balcony door open can impact the efficiency of the onboard air conditioning system."

yes that is true as we have all read that on many sites and I have said that , BUT there is no rule that is said that we do not have to close the door is there ??????????????????????

How does a rule affect things? Do you only do things if there is a rule behind them?

isnt the balcony door supposed to be shut as it affects the airconditioning

Ditto that coment, Bob. The aircon in our balcony cabin on the last cruise Singapore/Malaysia was pitiful on the Sun Princess. It could be that the door was left open too many times on previous cruises (or that the Sun is one of the oldest in the fleet). I'm defiitely in favour of closed doors and even better , drawn curtains if you have sun on that side.

Ditto that coment, Bob. The aircon in our balcony cabin on the last cruise Singapore/Malaysia was pitiful on the Sun Princess. It could be that the door was left open too many times on previous cruises (or that the Sun is one of the oldest in the fleet). I'm defiitely in favour of closed doors and even better , drawn curtains if you have sun on that side.

Anna, thats what the sign says but some people like to keep their door open

How does a rule affect things? Do you only do things if there is a rule behind them?
there is no rule that is said that you must wash your hands before you eat on the cruise ship but most us do any way.

If we want to open our balcony door its up to us we have paid for the cabin. any way its very nice to get fresh in the cabin and as I said before(it is nice with the door open but it does make the cabin hot when in the pacific islands, but when cruiseing to nz it just very nice in the day to have the door open.)

there is no rule that is said that you must wash your hands before you eat on the cruise ship but most us do any way.

If we want to open our balcony door its up to us we have paid for the cabin. any way its very nice to get fresh in the cabin and as I said before(it is nice with the door open but it does make the cabin hot when in the pacific islands, but when cruiseing to nz it just very nice in the day to have the door open.)

why do they have the person there with the bottle of hand sanitiser to put on your hands....to stop the germs spreading.....have you been on a ship with the noro virus, we have twice and its because people are to lazy to wash their hands coming from the toilet.....its not very nice as the crew have to work extra hard and no one can even make them selves a cup of tea or coffee

The sign does say.....inside your cabin, right? NO mention of inside the entire ship

Hey, they may as well just seal the ship up like a sardine can then....:rolleyes:

Yeah, I leave my balcony door open at times :p. Especially when it's FREEZING inside the cabin in the tropics! Go figure........

I also like to see everything get sucked out whilst I sit there :cool:

I've also found it's a preventative against Norovirus :eek:

why do they have the person there with the bottle of hand sanitiser to put on your hands....to stop the germs spreading.....have you been on a ship with the noro virus, we have twice and its because people are to lazy to wash their hands coming from the toilet.....its not very nice as the crew have to work extra hard and no one can even make them selves a cup of tea or coffee
I did not say we did not wash our hands Quote most us do any way. I do know we are in the most of us cat and yes we have it is not very nice at all (noro virus) and thats why %95 of the time we dine in the dinning. but there is no rules on that the same as the balcony doors.

as I said before its nice in the day time to open and let the fresh air inti the cabin while he is at kids club but I may add at night we can not open and leave it open as we have a 4 yr old with us

Love Thied.

Don't know what cruise ships you've been sailing on recently, but I think I would have starved if I had refused to wash my hands, as noone would have served me any food! Cruise staff are very insistent on hand sanitization, and rightly so. You definitely couldn't sneak past them in the buffet line!

I didn't even consider leaving the balcony door open on my last cruise. I did try leaving it open a few times during the day, and within minutes, the room was as hot and stuffy as the outside (we sailed in December). It didn't cool much at night, so it would have been very counteractive to leave it open. Perhaps in the milder months it would work better though? Might try it in May.

Archived