Lahaina Restaurant?

Sunny AZ Girl

DH and I plan to rent a car and have a leisurely first day in Maui. We plan to visit Iao Valley, perhaps the Maui Tropical Plantation and then on to Lahaina for shopping, lunch and possibly snorkeling at Black Rock. I would like to stop at a nice place for lunch in Lahaina. I don't want anything expensive or fancy, but a nice atmosphere (relaxing is the theme that day) with local food. Any suggestions?

I haven't gone yet but I'm hoping to try Aloha Mixed Plate which seems to meet your criteria.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g60634-d467379-Reviews-Aloha_Mixed_Plate-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html

Happy Hour (2-6pm) is supposed to be terrific..so that's on my personal to-do list.

Have a great trip.

I haven't gone yet but I'm hoping to try Aloha Mixed Plate which seems to meet your criteria.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g60634-d467379-Reviews-Aloha_Mixed_Plate-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html

Happy Hour (2-6pm) is supposed to be terrific..so that's on my personal to-do list.

Have a great trip.

I actually saw that one when I did a Trip Advisor search and bookmarked it! Great minds think alike.;) I also saw the Hula Grill north of town, but think the Aloha Mixed Plate may be a better fit.

When are you going? Will you give me a review or will I give you one?:)

We were there week before last and ate lunch at the original Cheesburger in Paradise. It's in an old two-story building right in the historic area and since it was mid afternoon they weren't too busy. We had a table overlooking the water on the second floor and had the kalulua (sp) pig sandwich which was served with an umbrella--my first umbrella on a sandwich! I know this is a chain but this particular one had some funky ambiance, wasn't too expensive and we enjoyed it. The big windows were raised so we had a nice breeze.

We were there week before last and ate lunch at the original Cheesburger in Paradise. It's in an old two-story building right in the historic area and since it was mid afternoon they weren't too busy. We had a table overlooking the water on the second floor and had the kalulua (sp) pig sandwich which was served with an umbrella--my first umbrella on a sandwich! I know this is a chain but this particular one had some funky ambiance, wasn't too expensive and we enjoyed it. The big windows were raised so we had a nice breeze.

That may be a good option, too. DH likes the song, so he may want to go there, LOL!

I am still leaning towards the Aloha Mixed Plate for the authentic touch.:)

We ate lunch at Aloha Mixed Plate and thought it was wonderful. It is on the beach right next to Old Lahania Luau. Good local food and nice atmosphere.

Good to know! I will put this one on my list we are going to Maui in April.

Aloha Mixed Plate for good, super casual outdoor. Happy "hour" most of the afternoon.

Lahaina Fish Company downstairs is great for casual lunch or dinner. My DH and I are, as some of you know, addicted to their spring rolls and Maui onion-Kula tomato salads.

Kimo's is next door (or two doors down--can't remember) from LFC. The hula pie there is yum-yum-yum. Meal at LFC, dessert at Kimo's, good times.

At Whaler's Village, Hula Grill. You can sit almost on the beach, even have your toes in sand.

Also in Lahaina, but not on Front St. (thus no water view), Penne Pasta for really good thin crust pizza.

Some people love Moose's, but we think it's too loud and, I don't know, "Hard Rock Cafe"-ish maybe. Speaking of which, there is one on Front St., but I have no idea if it's good as we don't eat there.

Cheeseburger in Paradise doesn't have the best burgers in the world, but the view is first class, the drinks are good, and the food is acceptable. IMO, best for afternoon beverages after the lunch mob and before the dinner crush.

We always stop in at Bubba Gump's for drinks and appetizers at some point.

But if you want an affordable, fun, good plate lunch, then definitely go to Aloha. You can customize your plate, both size and components. It's kind of like having a picnic as you're served on disposable plates/bowls and sit outside at picnic tables. Nice view of the water and the old Mala boat ramp.

beachchick

What beachchick said!

I'd add Pineapple Grill up at Kapalua for a good lunch as well. If you're going to do that, head up there and then back to Lahaina for the rest of the afternoon.

(I'm there in 3 weeks, beachchick. I'll have a gecko cooler in your honor!)

I actually saw that one when I did a Trip Advisor search and bookmarked it! Great minds think alike.;) I also saw the Hula Grill north of town, but think the Aloha Mixed Plate may be a better fit.

When are you going? Will you give me a review or will I give you one?:)

We're leaving in less than three weeks - so I'll be giving you our review. Mind you...our West Maui day is very loosely scheduled based on beach conditions so who knows where lunch will be. I already know this visit to Hawaii won't be our last though so I'll be sure to get to Aloha eventually!

We're leaving in less than three weeks - so I'll be giving you our review. Mind you...our West Maui day is very loosely scheduled based on beach conditions so who knows where lunch will be. I already know this visit to Hawaii won't be our last though so I'll be sure to get to Aloha eventually!

Have fun!

We are loosely scheduled on on Day 1 in Maui, also. We will be rolling with the flow, but I want to have a couple of good places available depending on the circumstances, as you said.

What beachchick said!

I'd add Pineapple Grill up at Kapalua for a good lunch as well. If you're going to do that, head up there and then back to Lahaina for the rest of the afternoon.

(I'm there in 3 weeks, beachchick. I'll have a gecko cooler in your honor!)

[beachchick smacks herself upside the head] How could I have forgotten Pineapple Grill.

Yes indeed, have at least one gecko cooler for me and add another in my mom's memory. We did decide to cancel our reservations for last October. My mom kept saying, "No, you need to go and get away from everything." We didn't feel that was a good idea because she had started to really lose her cancer battle. So we rescheduled for 3 weeks from now (give or take a few days), which would have been great. We could finally have had those drinks and dinner together in Lahaina! Unfortunately, we had to reschedule again. My mom died suddenly (odd as that sounds) right after Thanksgiving. We knew the end was coming, but it was as if her body just couldn't go on another day. It's going to take several months to resolve things.

We moved our reservations to this coming October and added a week on the BI Kona-Kohala side. The plan is for 5 weeks total. We are so going to need it! The past year has been nothing short of horrible and that's saying something considering how challenging the past 5 years have been overall.

Anyway, enough of this whining and moaning. My mom had a full and rich life and she was suffering. We didn't want her to linger in pain and misery. She really considered the whole thing to be an inconvenience to her plans. In fact, she took 3 trips in the months before she died, including a 2-1/2 week adventure in September with a friend.

Have a fantastic time on "our" island.:D

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...
[beachchick smacks herself upside the head] How could I have forgotten Pineapple Grill.

Yes indeed, have at least one gecko cooler for me and add another in my mom's memory. We did decide to cancel our reservations for last October. My mom kept saying, "No, you need to go and get away from everything." We didn't feel that was a good idea because she had started to really lose her cancer battle. So we rescheduled for 3 weeks from now (give or take a few days), which would have been great. We could finally have had those drinks and dinner together in Lahaina! Unfortunately, we had to reschedule again. My mom died suddenly (odd as that sounds) right after Thanksgiving. We knew the end was coming, but it was as if her body just couldn't go on another day. It's going to take several months to resolve things.

We moved our reservations to this coming October and added a week on the BI Kona-Kohala side. The plan is for 5 weeks total. We are so going to need it! The past year has been nothing short of horrible and that's saying something considering how challenging the past 5 years have been overall.

Anyway, enough of this whining and moaning. My mom had a full and rich life and she was suffering. We didn't want her to linger in pain and misery. She really considered the whole thing to be an inconvenience to her plans. In fact, she took 3 trips in the months before she died, including a 2-1/2 week adventure in September with a friend.

Have a fantastic time on "our" island.:D

beachchick

Oh beachchick, I'm sorry to hear the news of your mom. I'm glad that you are remembering the good times and the full and rich life she lived. What a spirit - travelling right up to the end. I think you come by your wanderlust naturally!

Darn. I was almost able to buy you that drink! :) Next time! I'm sure that sooner or later we'll be on "our" island at the same time. I will definitely have a gecko cooler in your honor...maybe I'll even have to toast you and your mom every day poolside!

beach4me

You've got my curiosity up...what's a Gecko Cooler and where do I get one? I tried using Google and I found a recipe for a Purple Gecko Cocktail. Is that the same thing? I'll be coming to "everyones' island in a few months for my first visit and there are some things one needs to know!!

Thanks for any info.

You've got my curiosity up...what's a Gecko Cooler and where do I get one? I tried using Google and I found a recipe for a Purple Gecko Cocktail. Is that the same thing? I'll be coming to "everyones' island in a few months for my first visit and there are some things one needs to know!!

Thanks for any info.

beachdreaming,

I'm so excited for you. Maui is the best...imo! :)

A gecko cooler is vodka, midori, and lemonade. And, it is soooooo good! I get mine at the Westin Maui on Kaanapali Beach. It's my daily pool drink. If you want a true Maui gecko cooler, have it made with Ocean Vodka (made in Hawaii with water harvested off of Maui).

Now I'll have to google Purple Gecko Cocktail to see what it is. You've got me curious. (The Maui gecko cooler is green...just like a gecko.)

If you have any Maui questions we can help you with, let us know!

Aloha

Thanks for any info.

Aloha! We are delighted to share "our" island with you, especially because you have such a delightful CC name.;) Anyone who's "beachy" is ono in my book.:D

I think you will love Maui. It is our favorite of the four primary islands. We love them all, but think of Maui as home in Hawaii.

Oh beachchick, I'm sorry to hear the news of your mom. I'm glad that you are remembering the good times and the full and rich life she lived. What a spirit - travelling right up to the end. I think you come by your wanderlust naturally!

Darn. I was almost able to buy you that drink! :) Next time! I'm sure that sooner or later we'll be on "our" island at the same time. I will definitely have a gecko cooler in your honor...maybe I'll even have to toast you and your mom every day poolside!

beach4me

Mahalo so much for your kind thoughts. It has been difficult, but she was starting to suffer so much that it was also a blessing.

My parents definitely gave my sibs and me the travel gene. They were both school teachers, so they had about 8 weeks in the summer off. Of course we didn't travel first class, stay at resorts, or go to Europe, but we did camp across the country several times. By the time I was 18, I'd been to most of the lower 48 states and several parts of Canada. (As an aside, I wonder how many people know it's a myth that teachers get "3 months" off in the summer? What with continuing education requirements, finishing the previous term, and prepping for the next, it's amazing they get that much. Anyway, better get back OT or I'll go off on one of my "my parents worked 60-70 workweeks for 35 years for modest salaries, modest retirement benefits, and declining respect...)

They were so supportive of travel that they encouraged me to apply for the YFU program when I was 16. It was a grueling process getting selected and my parents had to pony up $1,000 plus expenses of about $500 (translates to at least $8,000-$10,000 in today's $), but they did so gladly so I could have the experience of living in another country and being immersed in the culture. I married a man who loved travel as much as I do. One of the hardest and most frustrating aspects of our health problems is that we have been forced to limit our traveling and activities.

Back to the subject at hand. I'd love it (and I'm sure she would too) if you'd have at least one gecko cooler every day as you enjoy the tropical sun, the beautiful sky, and the clear blue water.

I really would like to meet you, even before we manage to be on Maui at the same time. I'll add my CC email to my User CP if you'd like to "drop me a line" (wow--I am so old):p--and be in touch off the forums.

beachchick

I really would like to meet you, even before we manage to be on Maui at the same time. I'll add my CC email to my User CP if you'd like to "drop me a line" (wow--I am so old):p--and be in touch off the forums.

beachchick

I would love to be in touch off the forums, beachchick. I didn't see a place to click on for your email. If you'd like, I can post a secondary email addy here and then after I hear from you, I'll respond with my primary email addy that we can use to correspond. In the meantime, I'm going to look around the profile pages to see if I've missed something.

Looking forward to corresponding with you.

beach4me

Hi Ginny!

I vote for Aloha Mixed Plate for casual, local Hawaiian food. We went here the night before one of my best friend's wedding in Maui years ago. Someone told us it was the same food as the Old Lahaina Luau, though I don't know if that was true. But it was also my first taste of haupia, which I do enjoy! :)

Cheeseburgers in Paradise was actually the first restaurant we went to on our very first visit to Maui. Great view and vibes, okay burgers...overall okay... but not really Hawaiian flavor if you know what I mean.

Have a great time regardless!!! Aloha!!

Hi Ginny!

I vote for Aloha Mixed Plate for casual, local Hawaiian food. We went here the night before one of my best friend's wedding in Maui years ago. Someone told us it was the same food as the Old Lahaina Luau, though I don't know if that was true. But it was also my first taste of haupia, which I do enjoy! :)

Cheeseburgers in Paradise was actually the first restaurant we went to on our very first visit to Maui. Great view and vibes, okay burgers...overall okay... but not really Hawaiian flavor if you know what I mean.

Have a great time regardless!!! Aloha!!

Thanks! I have already put it into my GPS. I love having you confirm that it is the place where we should go. :)

Try mixed plate. Its on the bay. We went at 3, their happy hour is 3-6p. They have maitais on special (very popular fruity drink in hawaii) for 3$ and usually a beer on special also. We had onoin rings (best we have ever had), both a meal, and a few mai tai's each and i think our bill was 40$. Cheapest meal we had in Maui and great food/atmosphere. It is next to the Lahaina Laui and behind the mall in Lahaina.

Kristen

I'm a huge fan of Aloha Mixed Plate for the food, ambiance, and drinks (best smoothies). If you're interested in sheer volume of good local food, try the Honolua Store in Kapalua. For $6 or so you can get delicious local food measured in pounds. It's the sort of 'local food' place that locals frequent. (Not easy to find good cheap food north of Napili).

The ambiance is ok, beneath the norfolk island pines, but not up to the oceanside locale of Aloha Mixed Plate.

• 3 weeks later...

Longhi's right in Lahaina is wonderful. Part open air. We had an appetizer there I still remember - Belgian endive leaves filled with candied macadamia nuts, blue cheese crumbles and some sort of light asian dressing. GREAT PLACE.

Archived