Whats it like to cruise out of Florida and the Caribbean in July

thesawch

I am from Canada and am thinking of doing the Liberty out of Miami or Freedom out of Ft Lauderdale in late July as it works best for us due to the limited cabins for Alaska sailings now. I am just wondering what it is like temperature wise in Southern Florida and then Grand Cayman and Jamaica if we do the Freedom and then if we do the Liberty what would the temps be like in San Juan,St Thomas,Grand Turk and Half moon cay . Any advice for summer cruising out of the caribbean is appreciated. And I believe hurican season starts in August. We are to cruise july 23 or 24 th weekend. Thanks in Advance

I am from Canada and am thinking of doing the Liberty out of Miami or Freedom out of Ft Lauderdale in late July as it works best for us due to the limited cabins for Alaska sailings now. I am just wondering what it is like temperature wise in Southern Florida and then Grand Cayman and Jamaica if we do the Freedom and then if we do the Liberty what would the temps be like in San Juan,St Thomas,Grand Turk and Half moon cay . Any advice for summer cruising out of the caribbean is appreciated. And I believe hurican season starts in August. We are to cruise july 23 or 24 th weekend. Thanks in Advance

We took one, and only one, July cruise from Miami to the Caribbean . It was so very hot and humid, almost unbearable at times. Swimming in the ocean was wonderful, but even the water was bathtub warm.

Honestly, I would never cruise in the summer again.

Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.

It's extremely hot and humid, like 90+ degrees F and 90% humidity in port. If you can bear that it's nice because the ports are much less crowded in summer than in the rest of the year.

It's not too hot when out to sea, thanks to the wind.

Hurricane season starts June 1. The higher probability of major hurricanes doesn't ramp up until mid to late August, though.

I have lived in Central Fl. for 25 years, and if you enjoy 95 degrees 95% humidity and afternoon rain that is Fl. in July, we love it.

Port of Miami usually has nice breeze, and eastern caribbean is not as humid as western and southern such as Panama and Costa Rica is brutal even for a floridian.

As far as hurricane season it starts in June but heart of is usually mid August through late September, if there is a storm they will still go but may change Ports.

it will be hot. i live in the tampa bay area and july is a hot/ humid month. it will be equally hot and humid in the caribbean. but i wouldn't let temps deter you from cruising during that month.

I also live in Tampa and yes - mid to high 90's with 80-90% humidity (equaling a heat index of over 100 most of the time).

Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.

Yeah I was just about to remind them of that. Historically, the worst hurricanes happen later in the season (August - October) but there are some bad tropical storms that pop up mid-summer in June and July that probably aren't much fun on a ship.

You can take a look at the NOAA Hurricane History Tracker to see what July looks like over time as far as hurricanes go.

Opressive is a good word. :p San Juan in late July was pretty miserable. The humidity took your breath away and it was almost impossible to drink enough water to stay hydrated while walking around. You were drenched as soon as you stepped outside. We had great plans for the day and ended up going back to the ship after seeing El Morro since it was too miserable. I grew up in heat and humidity in coastal VA but this was pretty rough. We did snorkel and sailing excursions in St. Thomas and Grand Turk and there was a breeze there so those weren't too bad. HMC is gorgeous but we also wilted in the heat and I'm not a sun worshipper so we also headed back to the ship shortly after lunch.

it will be hot but i don't think it hits oppressive for me until august and september. O2cool has these little foam bladed fans with a mister that attach with a little carabiner clip. Definitely a must for any land based excursion (or central florida theme park for that matter). Every one speaks of the heat and sunburn, but don't forget your eyes:cool: Buy decent shades (the polarized ones are great for looking into the water) You can always spot tourists down here. They are the ones squinting and holding their hands over there eyes. The locals all have shades:D

We sailed on the Miracle from July 2nd through 10th last year. Left New York, visited Nassau, HMC and Grand Turk. While it was hot and humid there, it was even more so at home, where temperatures reached over 100 degrees.

We came home to a completely dead lawn. (Next year we have to remember to ask the house sitter to water the grass!)

Remember that the further south in the Caribbean you go, the closer to the equator you get, and the less the temperature varies throughout the year. It's probably going to seem hot at any time of year for you, as you're from up there in the cold.

Also, school is out in July, so the prices and kid numbers will be up, if that's a factor.

My favorite time to go cruising in the southern Caribbean is in mid to late October. The water is at it's highest temperature, the cruise prices are down, and the kids are back in school. I live down here in hurricane country, so guessing tracks is just part of the fun.

We're going to head down to the Southern Caribbean in 8 days, and I'm going to freeze my bits off diving. Last October, I wore a fuzzy lycra skin and the water was a nice 84 F. This time, I'm going to have to add a thick wetsuit, because the water temp is going to be a chilly 78-79F. (It's all in the perspective :))

Just had another thought... if it is at all possible, try to get into Florida in the morning of the day before the cruise. Our afternoon thunderstorms can be a real pain for flying.

Have a wonderful trip whenever you decide to cruise!

Wendy

We've done it 2X with grandkids and that is the ONLY reason I would ever go to the Caribbean in the summer months - like other's have mentioned, it is way too hot and humid at that time of year.

That hot huh?

Coming from NZ as I do [a country with few weather extremes], it really alarms me the thought of visiting at that time. I've only ever visited the US in general during Nov/Dec.

Although I suppose it still beats the snow season, right?

Archived