Family documents

Vettech30

Just watched the show on oasis of the seas. It looked like they were denying boarding to single parents traveling with their children because they did not have a letter from the the other parent. Im not sure if they had different last names or what the reason was. My mother will be traveling with my 15 year old sister. They both have the same last name. Will she be required to have a notarized letter to take her out of the country? I did read the Royal website and from what I read it looks like she will be ok if they have the last name. I just want to make sure because it would really suck to be turned away:(

the last name doesn't matter - I haven't had this happen on a cruise, but when I was trying to take my kids across the Canadien border. The border guard asks where the other parent is, if they know you have the children & are leaving the country. Luckily he let us through, but they won't always - I had all our passports but not a letter. My sister who is divorced used to carry a notarized letter from her ex stating she was allowed to take the kids across - they all had the same last name.(She would travel through Canada from Detroit to Buffalo for family get togethers)

I think when she did a Disney cruise she needed a letter or something from her ex saying it was OK

When I took my kids on a cruise without my DH, I had him sign a letter giving me permission to take them, mentioning specifically the ship, ports of call, length of cruise etc. Had it notarized and carried it with me. No one asked for it. We have the same last name, but perhaps it might be best to carry the certified copy of the birth certificate for the minor either way, but especially if there are two names involved

Just watched the show on oasis of the seas. It looked like they were denying boarding to single parents traveling with their children because they did not have a letter from the the other parent. Im not sure if they had different last names or what the reason was. My mother will be traveling with my 15 year old sister. They both have the same last name. Will she be required to have a notarized letter to take her out of the country? I did read the Royal website and from what I read it looks like she will be ok if they have the last name. I just want to make sure because it would really suck to be turned away:(

Statistically, you are less likely to be asked for the letter if you have the same last name, but it actually has nothing to do with it.

Any time that one parent travels without the other parent, with their child or children, the cruise line is supposed to verify that the non-sailing parent knows and approves.

In actual fact, they don't ask that often, but YES, you can definitely be denied boarding if you cannot prove that those minor children have the non-sailing parent's permission to leave the country in your company.

I took my granddaughter on a cruise in Jan. I had to have a notarized document stating which ship and date we were sailing on and that I was responsible for her and any medical care she may need.

Even though the website states one parent has to sign it, just to be on the safe side, I had both signatures because my granddaughter has her father's last name and my daughter's name is the same as mine. I did not want any hassle whgen I got to the port. The clerk at check-in was very pleased with my document and stated she wished everyone was as efficient.

So, thanks to a cruise critic poster because that is where I got the form letter. I don't remember who posted it , do a search and you will find it.

I have been on two previous cruises with my son and have not been asked for this letter. I have no idea where my sons father is and I have court papers stating I have full custody. Would this be enough if asked?

thanks

I took my granddaughter on a cruise in Jan. I had to have a notarized document stating which ship and date we were sailing on and that I was responsible for her and any medical care she may need.

Even though the website states one parent has to sign it, just to be on the safe side, I had both signatures because my granddaughter has her father's last name and my daughter's name is the same as mine. I did not want any hassle whgen I got to the port. The clerk at check-in was very pleased with my document and stated she wished everyone was as efficient.

So, thanks to a cruise critic poster because that is where I got the form letter. I don't remember who posted it , do a search and you will find it.

Correct..Especially the "Medical Care Directive" !!

Which show are you referring to?

It was a show on Green Planet on turn around day for the Oasis. It was excellent. And all about getting the ship ready to sail again in 12 hours and what it takes to get another 6,000 passenger on board. I cruise alot, i live in Lauderdale, have worked in airports and seaports, but really enjoyed this show. It wasn't the typical cruise stuff. More behind the scenes in a personal way for that one crazy day; which for me will be saturday, woo hoo. I liked that they showed how they really try and straighten out peoples documentation issues so they can board. Amusing how they have to hunt down passengers due off the ship by 10. Now I know who to blame if I can board at 11.

I have a question also about bringing another person who isnt your own child. My sons friend is coming with us but he is 18. Do I need a notarized letter from his parents for him or is he considered an adult at 18 and we wont have any problems getting on board. Thanks for your help.

I have been on two previous cruises with my son and have not been asked for this letter. I have no idea where my sons father is and I have court papers stating I have full custody. Would this be enough if asked?

thanks

as long as you have the custody papers you are fine

I have a question also about bringing another person who isnt your own child. My sons friend is coming with us but he is 18. Do I need a notarized letter from his parents for him or is he considered an adult at 18 and we wont have any problems getting on board. Thanks for your help.

As he is 18 and a legal adult you don't need his parents' permission.

When I took my kids on a cruise without my DH, I had him sign a letter giving me permission to take them, mentioning specifically the ship, ports of call, length of cruise etc. Had it notarized and carried it with me. No one asked for it. We have the same last name, but perhaps it might be best to carry the certified copy of the birth certificate for the minor either way, but especially if there are two names involved

Same here. I got the signed/notarized letter just to be safe. My biggest fear is being denied my cruise for not having proper documenation for whatever reason. :eek: Better safe than sorry. I was never asked for it either and we have different last names.

From the RCCL website:

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Different Surnames (Last Names):

If a woman has several surnames on different documents such as birth certificate and drivers license, then she must bridge the difference with other documents, such as, marriage license and/or divorce papers. The additional bridging documents must be the original or a certified or notarized copy.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

I'm a single parent and the only thing I bring with me (other than the passport) are certified copies of my children's birth certificates, since there last name is different than mine (maiden name). My drivers license has both my name and my old married name, which I use as back-up. I haven't been asked to provide any documents. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed myself now. :rolleyes:

I have cruised with my daughter (5) and my mother on 3 occasions. Each time I have been required to provide the certified letter. On the first cruise, I was stupidly unaware, and was detained until my daughter's father could fax a letter along with his driver's license to the authorities at the port.

From the RCCL website:

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Different Surnames (Last Names):

If a woman has several surnames on different documents such as birth certificate and drivers license, then she must bridge the difference with other documents, such as, marriage license and/or divorce papers. The additional bridging documents must be the original or a certified or notarized copy.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

If I read the words correctly in the 3rd para., the only situation requiring a notarized letter signed by the child's parent is when the accompanying adult is NOT the parent. The first 2 paragraphs talk only about providing documents that bridge a difference in name between the child and the parent. Those paragraphs do not refer at all to whether or not the child is accompanied by one or both parents.

So we are still not clear since RCCL does not have clear guidance on their website. We are grandparents who have reserved a cruise in Jan. 2012 for our extended family. Unless we get concrete guidance that we do not need the notarized letter from my daughter's ex husband, we will cancel the cruise and go on a land based Fla. vacation instead. It would be a hassle to get the notarized letter from her ex and it would not be worth the fight.

Does anyone know how to get a definite answer from RCCL?

If I read the words correctly in the 3rd para., the only situation requiring a notarized letter signed by the child's parent is when the accompanying adult is NOT the parent. The first 2 paragraphs talk only about providing documents that bridge a difference in name between the child and the parent. Those paragraphs do not refer at all to whether or not the child is accompanied by one or both parents.

So we are still not clear since RCCL does not have clear guidance on their website. We are grandparents who have reserved a cruise in Jan. 2012 for our extended family. Unless we get concrete guidance that we do not need the notarized letter from my daughter's ex husband, we will cancel the cruise and go on a land based Fla. vacation instead. It would be a hassle to get the notarized letter from her ex and it would not be worth the fight.

Does anyone know how to get a definite answer from RCCL?

I just emailed RCI your concern. As soon as they respond, I'll post it here. I know verbally, the CSR's have always told me that all I needed is their birth certificates proving I was there mother. No notarized letter was needed. But It's nice to have it in writing too.

There are many posts that state they were not asked for the notarized letter, and other posts that say they were asked. The posters do not normally say what ports their cruise visited. I watched the Oasis special but don't recall them saying whether it was a Western or Eastern Caribbean cruise. I'm wondering if its related to the ports involved. i.e., Mexico and Canada have strict rules when traveling with a minor.

Our Freedom cruise next year is Eastern -- St. Thomas, St. Martin & Coco Cay. I don't think those countries have the strict rules? Has anyone been asked for the notarized letter on an Eastern Caribbean closed loop cruise?

There are many posts that state they were not asked for the notarized letter, and other posts that say they were asked. The posters do not normally say what ports their cruise visited. I watched the Oasis special but don't recall them saying whether it was a Western or Eastern Caribbean cruise. I'm wondering if its related to the ports involved. i.e., Mexico and Canada have strict rules when traveling with a minor.

Our Freedom cruise next year is Eastern -- St. Thomas, St. Martin & Coco Cay. I don't think those countries have the strict rules? Has anyone been asked for the notarized letter on an Eastern Caribbean closed loop cruise?

I was on the Eastern Oasis cruise last year. I brought birth certificates only for my kids, along with their passports. I was never asked for the birth certificates nor for a notorized letter.

thanks

I have sort of the same situation. My son's father is not in the picture anymore and my divorce decree (which is 45 pages long) does state that I have "full legal custody" of my son. Our last names are different and this is also noted in the divorce decree....so I lugged the whole document (has to be certified copy w stamp from court house) with us on our cruise and was not once asked to show proof I was my sons mother and that I had permission to take him out of the country. However, we are cruising again in March and I will be taking the papers with me again as you never know when/if it will be needed and you don't want to take any chance of not boarding. Better to be prepared.

I have sort of the same situation. My son's father is not in the picture anymore and my divorce decree (which is 45 pages long) does state that I have "full legal custody" of my son. Our last names are different and this is also noted in the divorce decree....so I lugged the whole document (has to be certified copy w stamp from court house) with us on our cruise and was not once asked to show proof I was my sons mother and that I had permission to take him out of the country. However' date=' we are cruising again in March and I will be taking the papers with me again as you never know when/if it will be needed and you don't want to take any chance of not boarding. Better to be prepared.[/quote']

Keri's Cruisin', I'm interested in knowing if you were on an Eastern or Western Caribbean cruise when you were not asked to show the divorce document. Just trying to see if the requirements might be stricter for Western ports; i.e., Mexico. Thanks!

Archived