Help create an Official "Seattle FAQ" -by members for members!

LauraS

On 2/17/2020 at 2:52 PM, 01bobbieann said:

Decent hotel option at 1/2 the going rates downtown with shuttle options:

Hotel Nexus (a Best Western Hotel) at 2140 N Northgate Way, Seatlle WA 98133. Recently remodeled. 

Will arrange private car from airport to hotel or from hotel to pier - car is $55 total for 4 people, $75 for 5+ because need SUV. 

Hotel has complimentary shuttle to the downtown and other sightseeing locations that departs the hotel 4 times a day. Complimentary full breakfast (incl. eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, etc).

You can join the Best Western rewards program online from the hotel website to get even more discounted fee. Rate for regular room with 1 or 2 queens is $155.65.  A suite with 2 queens, sofa bed and full kitchenette is $189.65.  No extra tourist tax like the other downtown hotels.

Just be aware you're basically next to a freeway that separates you from a dying shopping center.  There's an Indian restaurant in the hotel's parking lot, a donut shop and (bad) teriyaki take-out place next door, and a McDonald's across the (very busy) street, also a Starbucks and a terrific taco truck during the day, so some, but not many, places to eat.  You're roughly 8 miles from downtown Seattle, and the freeway is frequently bumper-to-bumper or worse.  https://goo.gl/maps/vLgCX8rZew8zGBEfA

Edited by Gardyloo

6 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

Just be aware you're basically next to a freeway that separates you from a dying shopping center.  There's an Indian restaurant in the hotel's parking lot, a donut shop and (bad) teriyaki take-out place next door, and a McDonald's across the (very busy) street, also a Starbucks and a terrific taco truck during the day, so some, but not many, places to eat.  You're roughly 8 miles from downtown Seattle, and the freeway is frequently bumper-to-bumper or worse.  https://goo.gl/maps/vLgCX8rZew8zGBEfA

Yeah, but other than those things, it's okay, huh>

Tom 😁

We are arriving in Seattle June 1 for a cruise leaving June 4, so we need a hotel for three nights. As we have never been to Seattle we would appreciate suggestions as to which area we should stay in. Someone suggested the Beltown area. Would this be the preferred area to book? Any other suggestions? We want to spend one day touring Seattle and one day wine tasting.

Thanks, Betty 

• 4 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, 01bobbieann said:

Will arrange private car from airport to hotel or from hotel to pier - car is $55 total for 4 people, $75 for 5+ because need SUV.

Do you mind me asking the name of the private car service?

On 7/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, Prost Seattle said:

Thank you, I will check it out.  I have called 2 places before COVID.  1 didn't answer and the other VM/with no return call.  

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 3:41 PM, Pierlesscruisers said:

The ship may arrive at 6am, but you will not be getting off the ship until 7am at the absolute earliest and it will probably be 7;15 or so when you get off. The first shuttle bus to the airport will probably leave the pier by 7:30am at the latest and you can expect a 30-40 minute trip to SeaTac airport so you should have absolutely no problem making an 11:15 flight. HOWEVER, that being said, realize that that first bus will be a Port Valet bus so if you have bags that are larger than carry-ons, you will not be on that bus! Port Valet buses will let their passengers off right in front of the terminal and other buses are not allowed to debark passengers at the terminal building but will debark their passengers across the street in the parking garage. That is because it takes those buses longer to disembark their pasengers because they have to unload baggage from the buse and that ties up the space in driveway. Thus, I would very highly recommend that you utilize the free Port Valet program on the ship if at all possible. That allows you to set your bags outside your cabin the night before you arrive back in Seattle and not see them again until you arrive at your destination airport. No muss, no fuss, and no cost. An additional benefit is that if your bags are over-weight, there is no oveweight bag fee charged to you.

You can, of course, take a taxi (flat fee of $40 from Pier 91 to Seatac) or an Uber/Lyft. If you use Uber or Lyft, there is no need to "walk a decent way down the pier" as their is a shuttle bus that departs from the first two bus slots (Slot A and Slot B) just across the street from the front of the terminal building. You can, of course, walk to the Uber/Lyft ick-up location should you so desire. That area is directly on the other side of the large gray building about 100 meters or so in front of the terminal building. If you want to walk and not take the small shuttle, I would recommend that when you come out the front door of the terminal building that you angle off to the left side of the bus lot where you will see all of the privately owned vehicles located and when you reach that covered area you go straight toward the large gray building I mentioned and pass it on the left side. The Uber/Lyft area is a long white tent which will be on your right just past the end of that gray building.

Hey Tom,

I realize that you made this comment several years ago, but I'm hoping that you'll see this and can provide clarification. 

You said above, "realize that that first bus will be a Port Valet bus so if you have bags that are larger than carry-ons, you will not be on that bus! Port Valet buses will let their passengers off right in front of the terminal and other buses are not allowed to debark passengers at the terminal building but will debark their passengers across the street in the parking garage".  When you mention the Port Valet bus, do you mean https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free, where it says, "Port Valet is Complimentary, Convenient, and Secure   The Port of Seattle is pleased to offer complimentary luggage transfer from the ship to your airline at the end of your cruise.". 

On 6/17/2021 at 2:11 PM, LoveMySofa said:

Hey Tom,

I realize that you made this comment several years ago, but I'm hoping that you'll see this and can provide clarification. 

You said above, "realize that that first bus will be a Port Valet bus so if you have bags that are larger than carry-ons, you will not be on that bus! Port Valet buses will let their passengers off right in front of the terminal and other buses are not allowed to debark passengers at the terminal building but will debark their passengers across the street in the parking garage".  When you mention the Port Valet bus, do you mean https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free, where it says, "Port Valet is Complimentary, Convenient, and Secure   The Port of Seattle is pleased to offer complimentary luggage transfer from the ship to your airline at the end of your cruise.". 

There is just one luggage service for cruise passengers in Seattle and it is the free Port of Seattle 'Port Valet'.  It will be offered again during the 2021 cruise season.  It is a great service, and if your airline and if your flight times allow you to use it, I would recommend that you take advantage of it.

since the pandemic airport transportation options right now (2021) are more ltd than in yrs past.  It appears that for people staying at airport hotels Seattleexpress.com appears to still be operating but there are no other scheduled shuttles to downtown or cruise ports.  This may change but here is the info I researched.

Taxis to downtown, which would be anywhere between Jackson St (Pioneer Square) to Denny Way (close to the space needle but not north of Denny are a flat $44. The flat rate taxis are normally yellow and blue but at Seatac they have both metered and flat rate. If you don't see a flat rate one you con request one. You can also go to the Ground Transportation window and ask for a taxi van also as a 'flat rate'. Good for 4 or 5 passengers. Pier 91 would be outside the hotel zone so fare would be more. Currently the smallest Uber is being quoted at about $53 (7/21) but check to compare.

If you see a taxi dispatcher you can ask for a van or call 206-432-9030 or ask at ground transportation. If no answer you can also try 206-475-5192 or 206-327-9915

Currently there are NO shuttles from Seatac to downtown hotels. Shuttle Express is gone and the towncars booked thru Shuttle express's number are approx $105 to downtown Seattle and have nothing to do with the old Shuttle express who is out of business

Flat rate towncars formerly regulated by the Port of Seattle and known as Stila are also out of business so the flat rate cabs are your best substitute.

From downtown Seattle hotel zone ANY cab will be a flat $40 fare to Seatac. Uber is considerably more now that Seattle has implemented changes which raised fares an average of 50% and with the current shortage of drivers often has surge pricing.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dan G,  thanks for all the great info. about transportation.

When returning from the cruise, and attempting to get to Seatac from the pier, would one also be able to find fixed rate taxis?  Or do they only operate FROM the airport?

I rarely use a taxi, so I don't know how many they will be able to fit.  Do you think they'll take 4 people?

Hi LovemySofa, I use SeattleExpress for a flat rate car. You can book in advance and while more expensive than a taxi or Uber, I've never had a problem with them showing up when they were supposed to and their drivers are professional. A taxi can fit 4, but depending on your amount of luggage, you might want to go for a larger vehicle to get back down to the airport. 

What are the flaws in my plan?

Flying into SeaTac

Metro to Westlake Station 

Monorail to Space Needle

Stay at Mediterranean Inn 

Use their shuttle to pier

I'm on the 8/15/21 Majestic Princess with 1 carryon bag

Edited by Ombud

On 7/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, psuboater said:

Hi LovemySofa, I use SeattleExpress for a flat rate car. You can book in advance and while more expensive than a taxi or Uber, I've never had a problem with them showing up when they were supposed to and their drivers are professional. A taxi can fit 4, but depending on your amount of luggage, you might want to go for a larger vehicle to get back down to the airport. 

Hi psuboater, thank you for the suggestion of SeattleExpress.  I will check them out.  Are their drivers  tipped, do you know?

On 8/2/2021 at 4:36 PM, LoveMySofa said:

Hi psuboater, thank you for the suggestion of SeattleExpress.  I will check them out.  Are their drivers  tipped, do you know?

They say that tipping is left up to the customer, so I am unsure. I have tipped $20 on my ride that takes me much longer (and more expensive) from SEA to my home (about 30 miles north to the ferry). Enjoy your time here! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/31/2021 at 9:33 PM, Ombud said:

What are the flaws in my plan?

Flying into SeaTac

Metro to Westlake Station 

Monorail to Space Needle

Stay at Mediterranean Inn 

Use their shuttle to pier

I'm on the 8/15/21 Majestic Princess with 1 carryon bag

Did it and it was beyond easy. Plus staying at City Center was great! Got off Monorail at Space Needle. Grounds crew directed me to my hotel, dropped luggage and returned to play. Area is very very safe. Just 1 caveat: unlike Bart, the metro drops receipt 1st then the ticket. Person behind me gave me my ticket. (I don't pick up my receipts on bart)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure if I'm asking this in the right place. We're doing a royal caribbean cruise out of Seattle August 15-22. Arrives back into Seattle port on the 22nd at 7am. Assuming I can get an early debarkation, is it within the realm of possibility that I would make it to a 12pm flight out of SeaTac without being majorly rushed/stressed? That is the latest same day departure that I can find out of SEA that will get me to my final destination same day.

• 2 months later...

Help! I need hotel specifics. Have booked Charter House (Hilton Curio Collection) for 3 nights before our Aug 20th Eurodam Alaska trip. Hotel seems to have a cool rooftop bar, proximity to Pikes Place and downtown. I can cancel. What do I need to know from locals? I live in Florida and would be happy to return the favor!

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked the Charter Hotel Hilton property for two nights pre cruise on Celebrity Solstice August 17-19.  The rate increased $25 in just a few days with news of the invasion in Europe.  Also considered Mayflower Park, whose rate increased $65.00  

Post cruise we are using the Doubletree Seattle Airport for its proximity to SEATAC and much cheaper honors points rate.  

Also booked Eastside Limo for transportation to and from Pier 91.  $200 each way for 14 passenger van to accommodate our party of eight.

• Like 2