Just diagnosed with Diabetes

saleaaway

Going on a Royal in June and the DR's just dumped on me I have Diabetes.

I'm sure that someone can help me a bit.

Does the food on board give you decent options?

Do the menu's on Royal show some of the nutrition facts?

I'm a bit bummed but I"m hoping I can really work around this.

thanks so much

elaine

thanks so much

elaine

Hi Elaine, both my sister and my dad had type II. The good news is that you now know you have it but you will have to be vigilant. My sister must now take injected insulin, not fun. Her decline could have been helped or halted if she had followed the guidelines her doctor set for her.

At the risk of sounding like a shill for Weight Watchers, I know they have information in their program for type II. Taking off extra weight, even 5% will help.

Cruise food is usually pretty good size portions and often has more salt than you should have. But...you are the passenger, ask for what you need! Most ships have low salt/healthy choice selections listed.

You might even want to see a registered dietitian before you leave to help you plan the best meals for your trip.

Yes...you DEFINITELY need a dietician to discuss your ongoing food needs...so that you'll have the info and means to control what you eat.

Yes...there will be PLENTY of options for you on the ship. You can contact the "special needs" department, if you think you'll need anything out of the ordinary...the dietician will help with that!!!

i'm type one, but have cruised without problem and have felt that my experience was every bit as good as my non-diabetic colleagues. one thing i very highly recommend is waking up a bit early and spending an hour or so in the gym. it will really make a big difference in how you feel and having some extra guilt-free food. in general as a diabetic, you need to pay attention to carbs and food's glycemic index.

depending on the system you and your doctor have established (i.e. carb counting vs. carb servings) you can still enjoy eating on your cruise just as much as everyone else. some foods that i would stay away from:

-pizza, as it's quite hard to deal with in terms of medication due to the way it breaks down

-pastries/donuts

-non-diet soda and juices with added sugar

-french fries and other battered/deep fried foods

some fun foods that i highly recommend:

-whole wheat breads, which will add complex carbs and stick with you longer

-oatmeal/steel cut oats

-ice cream/frozen yogurt in small servings (hold the toppings, though)

-meat (carb free)

-"protein style" burgers (no bun)

-sushi (the benefits of fish are well documented. the rice is carb heavy, but is much preferable to sweets)

(disclaimer: i am not a medical doctor, nor is this sound medical advice. consult your doctor/dietician before making any changes to your diet.)

• 2 weeks later...

Elaine, I fully relate and empathize with you. I was diagnosed last year and it did alarm me at first. However, what saved my life, literally, was a Diabetes Education course at my local hospital. My doctor set it up. I'm hoping you have one in your area, but I absolutely urge you to go. It will help you make informed choices.

So many people think it's about "the sugar". It's actually about the carbohydrates. You will learn how to count them, how many to have at each meal, which carbs are "better" than others, what foods to eat with carbs to slow their absorption into your system, and which foods are high, medium, and low on the Glycemic Index scale. It may sound daunting now but trust me, soon you will be able to figure it out in your head and you will find something to eat at every meal.

I thought going on a cruise would be difficult for me because of all the choices but in the ened, that's what saved me - there is a lot of choice. You will find foods that are delicious, nutritious, and carb-friendly. But... you have to get educated first. Make sense?

Please start making calls today and set this counselling up. It is imperative. There is a lot of information out there and not all of it is, well, helpful or correct! Like I said, it saved me. Since I was diagnosed last year I have lost 50 pounds, my blood pressure is way down, my blood sugar level is that of a non-diabetic, and I feel much better. It all seemed like a nightmare at first but in the end, this diagnosis saved my life.

God bless.

Elaine, I fully relate and empathize with you. I was diagnosed last year and it did alarm me at first. However, what saved my life, literally, was a Diabetes Education course at my local hospital. My doctor set it up. I'm hoping you have one in your area, but I absolutely urge you to go. It will help you make informed choices.

So many people think it's about "the sugar". It's actually about the carbohydrates. You will learn how to count them, how many to have at each meal, which carbs are "better" than others, what foods to eat with carbs to slow their absorption into your system, and which foods are high, medium, and low on the Glycemic Index scale. It may sound daunting now but trust me, soon you will be able to figure it out in your head and you will find something to eat at every meal.

I thought going on a cruise would be difficult for me because of all the choices but in the ened, that's what saved me - there is a lot of choice. You will find foods that are delicious, nutritious, and carb-friendly. But... you have to get educated first. Make sense?

Please start making calls today and set this counselling up. It is imperative. There is a lot of information out there and not all of it is, well, helpful or correct! Like I said, it saved me. Since I was diagnosed last year I have lost 50 pounds, my blood pressure is way down, my blood sugar level is that of a non-diabetic, and I feel much better. It all seemed like a nightmare at first but in the end, this diagnosis saved my life.

God bless.

1000 percent agree with Langley Cruisers. It's all about the CARBS.

I've been diabetic for 2 years now, and I have learned so much. The ADA diet is very HIGH CARB, IMO, and if I followed that, I would be suffering with multiple medical issues as a result of high BG levels.

It's all about eating proteins and fats and only eating carbs which are complex and hit the BG levels slowly (stay away from white carbs--bread, potatoes, rice).

The good thing about eating this way is you will not be hungry!

But do go to a dietician and get educated on low carbing!

I've been diabetic for 2 years now, and I have learned so much. The ADA diet is very HIGH CARB, IMO, and if I followed that, I would be suffering with multiple medical issues as a result of high BG levels.

Exactly. We have to be so careful. That's why I have to admit I was alarmed when someone in this thread recommended sushi as a snack - I'm sorry but that sent up all kinds of red flags for me. White rice and sushi rice in particular, is extremely high in carbs but also HIGH on the glycemic index. Brown rice is a better option if you feel you must have rice at all. Sweet potatoes and yams are a better option than regular potatoes if you feel you must have them at all.

It's about making informed decisions, both at home when cooking for yourself, and when eating away from home.

EDITED to add: I bought some whole wheat pasta because it is extremely high in fiber and was so excited about it! Well, hubby wouldn't eat it. I loved it but he wouldn't touch it. Now I see there is a "white" pasta with the same amount of fiber in it as brown pasta. Score!! It's delicious. It's called "Smart Pasta", by Catelli.

I have also recently discovered the "chia seed". This, I am excited to say, is a "ZERO FOOD". One teaspoon has 5 carbohydrates, and 5 grams of fiber!! Subtract the fiber from the carbs and the net carbs are zero! Woot! I will be buying some in future - it's even better for us than flax seed, with more fiber.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Thank you all for the kind words and support. I start my first class this friday with my dietician and I'm excited about it. She knew my head was spinning and simplified my carb intake by meal and snack. In the short amount of time I've been on it I've already learned to read nutrition labels.

Its tough right now because its not only giving up those great carb dishes but the diet on top of it. I've already noticed some things I eat spike my readings, and excersise drops it.

Just out of curiosity what is Chia Seed? And what is it used for?

thanks again

You know what? If you start your plan of choosing low-carb options, coupled with good choices in the other areas of your diet and you also exercise (even walking 30 minutes per day, most days of the week), the weight will fall off. I'm serious. I sit here lighter than I was a year ago and still can't believe it. I've even allowed myself a few of the things I had originally declined - it's all about balance, watching your readings, and making good choices.

I'm glad you have scheduled counselling!

Just out of curiosity what is Chia Seed? And what is it used for?

Chia Seed is (I think?) a fairly recent discovery. It's basically fiber. Diabetics need fiber (I was told at least 25 grams per day). Fiber is a carbohydrate that does not turn to sugar in the blood stream and thus does not affect our blood glucose level. Also (and you will/should learn this in class), you can subtract the grams of fiber from the total grams of carbohydrate, making "net carbs". It's a very exciting breakthrough. Chia seed is all fiber so you can sprinkle it on cereal, bake it into muffins, stir it into yogurt or cottage cheese... I'm looking forward to buying some. Flax seed is also full of fiber, but this chia seed has more, so I'm willing to try it. Also, chia is so very small it doesn't have to be ground. Flax see must be ground, or our body can't digest it (it just passes through otherwise).

if your cruise line has a "personalize my cruise" site, you can add any special needs that you might have. In the main dinning room you can meet with the head guy (mater D, know I spelled that wrong) and talk about what your needs are. I was able to meet with him and look at all the foods that were to be served in the main dinning room ahead of time. They were even able to change some of the recipes to low salt. I did not check with the buffet to see if they could provide me with calorie or carbohydrate values but it would not hurt to ask.

Judy

Diabetes and Heart Disease

thanks so much

elaine

Don't fret! I've had diabetes for about 4 yrs now and have done 4 cruises since being diagnosed. Just watch what you eat and you'll be fine.

If you have to check your blood sugar daily like I do, make sure that you request a Sharp's container for your cabin! Your cabin steward will deliver one for you so that you can dispose of your lancets in a safe manner.

Enjoy your future (and cruise)!

:cool:Bill

I was diagnosed Type 2 about 6 months before my cruise last September. I did the low carb thing and tested, tested tested so I could learn what foods really affect me and by how much. Six months later my A1C went from 7.2 to 5.0 (I really worked hard at it and basically ignored the the ADA high carb recommendations that you tend to get at some of the education classes). After six months and 30 pound weight loss, I cut myself some slack for the cruise. If I wanted a pretzel roll, I had one. That creme brulee? Yep, I had it. It was one week, I am not on insulin just metformin and ate whatever I wanted in moderation. I gave myself permission to go "off plan" for 7 days.

Since you are newly diagnosed, I recommend visiting the diabetesforumns dot com for help and support.

Just out of curiosity what do you all consider high carbs? I was told no mor than 40 at a meal and when I do a snack 15 at the most. I'm usually under that for most meals.

I've only lost 8 lbs and that is real depressing to me since its been a bit over three weeks. I dropped five right away which I understand is the norm. I'm excersizing religiously everyday and my calories have been pretty much cut down.

Maybe I'm just a nut.

My testing numbes have been great.. All well under what I've been asked to do. I am not on any medication right now and hope I can continue to keep this path so I don't have to go on anything.

We don't cruise until June so I'm hoping to drop some more weight.

One other question to Bruce legs... I'm sure you were still aware when you cruised did you notice that when you got back your numbers were still in check?

Just out of curiosity what do you all consider high carbs? I was told no mor than 40 at a meal and when I do a snack 15 at the most. I'm usually under that for most meals.

I've only lost 8 lbs and that is real depressing to me since its been a bit over three weeks. I dropped five right away which I understand is the norm. I'm excersizing religiously everyday and my calories have been pretty much cut down.

Maybe I'm just a nut.

My testing numbes have been great.. All well under what I've been asked to do. I am not on any medication right now and hope I can continue to keep this path so I don't have to go on anything.

We don't cruise until June so I'm hoping to drop some more weight.

One other question to Bruce legs... I'm sure you were still aware when you cruised did you notice that when you got back your numbers were still in check?

Saleaway,

I guess I can't answer whether 40 gms of carbs per meal is low carb, because it's so individual. Are you testing at one hour and then at 2 hours after you eat? What is your personal goal for those time periods? If you find yourself within your goal numbers, then I would say 40 gms of carbs per meal is low carb enough. If you find yourself spiking at the one- and two-hour testing times, then you might have to go even lower-carb.

For myself, I know I am unable to have ANY carbs for breakfast, or I will spike. Lunch and dinner, I could handle 40 grams of carbs, because my meds have started working to their fullest, but breakfast--no way.

Sounds like the diet they have laid out for you is 135 grams of carbs per day. That's equivalent to about 9 servings of carbs per day. While it is certainly lower carb than most people eat, I know a lot of people (myself included) who go lower carb than that, even.

But you have to eat to your meter. What is your meter telling you? Only you can determine if that is low carb enough.

And BTW, I think an 8 lb weight loss in three weeks is awesome! i wouldn't be upset about that!!

OP - I think an 8 pound loss is tremendous! Congratulations! Remember, it took you (probably!) years to put it on, so you want to lose it slowly. 8 pounds in 3 weeks is wonderful.

For me, carb count at meals is roughly 30 - 45 per meal. In my education classes, this was the recommendation; people with larger appetites could take up to 60 carbs per meal. This is too high for me, and I think staying on the lower end of that helped me to lose the weight sooner.

Also, I would never completely abandon my eating plan for a week's cruise, but that's just me. I've taken two cruises since my diagnosis and have continued to eat well, within my plan, and did allow myself dessert as long as I declined the bread/potatoes/rice at dinner. Bring your meter on the cruise and continue to test your blood glucose levels - you always want to be "in check".

Remember, it's not a "diet" - it is a lifestyle change.

So proud of you!! :D

Again thank you all so much for the support it is really nice to chat with people who are going through the same thing.

My Dietician has me testing twice a day on a rotating basis.. Mornings one day, lunch the next, dinner and than back around to breakfast. On my own as I introduce new foods I check just to see if something sets me off. Most of my readings have been less than 110 before meals and two hrs. later none have been higher than 144.

I have dawn phenomonen (sp) so I learned to eat a bit of protien at night and it seems to have been working. It was explained to me that because I go so long between dinner and breakfast my body is making more sugar. I guess the protien helps to keep that down.

Again I've been lucky and have not had to go on any meds. That is my goal,, to stay off them as long as I can.

Cruise will be great, and so will the food. :D

Again thank you all so much for the support it is really nice to chat with people who are going through the same thing.

My Dietician has me testing twice a day on a rotating basis.. Mornings one day, lunch the next, dinner and than back around to breakfast. On my own as I introduce new foods I check just to see if something sets me off. Most of my readings have been less than 110 before meals and two hrs. later none have been higher than 144.

I have dawn phenomonen (sp) so I learned to eat a bit of protien at night and it seems to have been working. It was explained to me that because I go so long between dinner and breakfast my body is making more sugar. I guess the protien helps to keep that down.

Again I've been lucky and have not had to go on any meds. That is my goal,, to stay off them as long as I can.

Cruise will be great, and so will the food. :D

See, I guess this is what irritates me about dieticians.

Testing once per day gives you absolutely NO indication of if whether what you are eating is affecting your blood sugar. In order to find this out, you should be testing before you eat so you know what you are starting at, and then one hour after eating, and then again 2 hours after eating. Sometimes your BG levels can continue to rise even after the 2 hour mark (pasta does that to me).

When I was first diagnosed, I tested around 10x per day. Now I know what will spike me and don't test nearly as much. Only if I decide to try a food to see how it will affect me (like pasta!) do I test before, and then one hour and two hours after.

I can't handle more that 20-25 carbs at a meal or I spike up to 140-160. I keep my carb intake under 90 for the day. When I was first diagnosed I tested 80 times a day: wake up, 2 hours after breakfast, before lunch, 2 hours after lunch, before dinner, 2hours after dinner and bedtime. Was doing this overkill? Maybe, but I was able to quickly figure what I could have and should not have.

My readings during the cruise were not bad at all - even with the pretzel rolls and such I never went above 135-140 2 hours after meals, which considering I was enjoying more carbs than usual was OK with me. Keep in mind you are walking and doing other sorts of physical activity. Best part about the cruise was breakfast - I ate all the bacon I wanted (not a believer in that lowfat diabetes recommendation and my cholesterol numbers going lower and lower are are proving it- I am on the low carb-high fat bandwagon)

I can't handle more that 20-25 carbs at a meal or I spike up to 140-160. I keep my carb intake under 90 for the day. When I was first diagnosed I tested 80 times a day: wake up, 2 hours after breakfast, before lunch, 2 hours after lunch, before dinner, 2hours after dinner and bedtime. Was doing this overkill? Maybe, but I was able to quickly figure what I could have and should not have.

My readings during the cruise were not bad at all - even with the pretzel rolls and such I never went above 135-140 2 hours after meals, which considering I was enjoying more carbs than usual was OK with me. Keep in mind you are walking and doing other sorts of physical activity. Best part about the cruise was breakfast - I ate all the bacon I wanted (not a believer in that lowfat diabetes recommendation and my cholesterol numbers going lower and lower are are proving it- I am on the low carb-high fat bandwagon)

Mary Ellen, I am also a non-believer in the lowfat diabetic way of eating. I cut my carbs WAY down, but didn't watch my fats and continued to eat bacon and red meats, etc, and saw my triglycerides and cholesterol drop to almost normal levels. To me, that is the best thing about the diabetic way of eating--not being hungry because you get to eat protein!

I think if people would throw out the lowfat diets and switch to low carb diets, heart disease would not be so common.

I am planning on trying a few more carbs on the cruise. Although I will have my meter with me to see how it's affecting me.

See, I guess this is what irritates me about dieticians.

Testing once per day gives you absolutely NO indication of if whether what you are eating is affecting your blood sugar. In order to find this out, you should be testing before you eat so you know what you are starting at, and then one hour after eating, and then again 2 hours after eating.

irishayes, unless I'm misreading this, I think you might have missed the part wherre she said she is testing before and after meals. I think she means she tests at breakfast one day (before and after), lunch the next day, and dinner the next. I do this as well. I will only test if I am going to be home long enough to test; I don't want others to see me test, lest they ask questions or become queasy at the sight of my blood.

OP saleaaway, the best thing I ever had for lunch on a cruise was a cold chicken salad which I made myself. The buffet offers all kinds of lettuce and greens, and dressings; I loaded up and then spied a platter of cold, chunk chicken breast meat. I put that on top and had Thousand Island dressing over all. It was dee-lish!! Oh my goodness, my mouth waters at the thought. And because it was a low carb lunch, I was able to have a dessert afterward. Umm, yeah... do be careful of the dessert station in the buffet! :o:D

Yes, I did misunderstand that.

But, when you are first diagnosed, you should be testing at EVERY meal. And you should test at both ONE hour and TWO hour intervals, post-meal. Otherwise you will be missing spikes that happen. If you test at the 2-hour interval and get a reading of 144, you have no idea if you spike to over 300 at the one hour, and the 144 is just on the way down, so you might have the mistaken belief that what you ate is "OK."

When I was first diagnosed, my doctor only wanted me to test first thing in the morning. WTH? That would have been useless and given me NO picture of what my blood sugar was doing after meals.

Hey Irish

Understand what your saying,, maybe I wasn't clear I test a whole bunch more than was told to. We went out to dinner last night so I tested before and after because I introduced new food.

Its nice to hear everyones thoughts..

Hey Lang.. will definitely look at that salad option. I actually like healthy foods so I'm sure I'll be fine.

great thread, not just for me but for others going through the same issues.

saleaaway, I forgot to tell you that Explorer is magnificent! We have cruised twice on her, and once on Mariner which is her sister ship. This size of ship is wonderful for us. We love the Royal Promenade, which is like a street of shops, I guess you could say, down the middle of the ship. It's a great place to grab a cup of coffee or tea and just sit and people-watch for a while. Check out the sugar-free peanut butter cookies in the Café Promenade - to die for!!

On your last night in the Dining Room (if the menus are still the same), save your carbs at dinner and have the sugar-free Key Lime Pie for dessert. The best dessert ever! So good. :D

Have a great time. :)

i was diagnosed diabetic last year. at first i thought there was nothing i could eat. it really isnt hard to watch your carbs

dont forget all of your free foods, yummy steaks. i love veggies in cheese sauce

just stay away from deserts breads and pasta for the most part and you will be fine

if you have questions about diet, and how to still enjoy food, let me know and i can pass advice on

most people cant believe that i am diabetic by the way i eat. i admit, i am a pig when it comes to eating

what really amazes them is that i never put on weight

A1C last year 7.2

last week 5.3 yippie!!!

i highly recommend mission low carb tortillas. i am bringing them with me on cruise.they are sealed so i dont see there being a problem

at home i throw a little margerine in a pan and fry/sautee them and sprinkle them with equal and cinamon

i have recently discovered almond milk. much lower than regular milk in carbs