Just diagnosed with Diabetes

saleaaway

A1C last year 7.2

last week 5.3 yippie!!!

Yea! That's awesome!! Congrats!

i have recently discovered almond milk. much lower than regular milk in carbs

I tried that once but really disliked the taste. I am looking into soy milk now - there are a lot of brands and options! Some of them are very high in carbs. It's a matter of giving yourself a little extra time at the grocery store and just reading those labels.

As a type II for the last 17 years I have done a lot of reading and studying on the subject. The book Protein Power by two heart doctors really opened my eyes on which foods were good or bad. If you eat fat your blood sugar goes up 0%, if you eat protein it goes up 50% and if you eat starchy carbs it goes up 350%. Noticed starchy carbs like potatoes not vegetable greens etc. You should read up on Glycemic ratings and the newer Glycemic index. If you allow your blood sugar to get high not enough oxygen is in the blood and small capilaries die off. Eventualy you lose feeling in your extremities. The single worst normal food that you can eat is mashed potatoes which will begin to raise you blood sugar level in minutes where meat may take hours to affect your blood sugar.:):)

• 1 month later...

I'll chime in here as well. I was diagnosed with Type II in 2004. My fasting glucose was over 280, my A1C was 11.7, and my triglycerides and cholesterol were through the roof. I was scared silly, as my father and most of his siblings had all died from complications of diabetes.

I went through the diabetes education classes, and took what I learned to heart. Now, everyone's mileage may vary, because a lot depends on how much damage has been done to your insulin producing islet cells before you were diagnosed, but here's what happened to me.

I started out with Metformin, and began eating to the pattern designed for me by the dietitian. Not a low carb diet by any means, just the standard 40-60g of carb at each meal that they normally start with. I also switched to as many high fiber/whole grain options as I could. We use tons of fresh vegetables, very little to no processed or canned food, and I watch my portion sizes very carefully. I cut added sugar out of my diet as well, and began exercising on a treadmill or bike for at least 30 minutes each day.

Within about 18 months, I had dropped my medication along with about 70 pounds. My A1C levels dropped to 4.6, my cholesterol and triglycerides dropped to normal levels, and I my morning blood glucose is normally in the 70's. Here I am, 7 years later, and can honestly say that being diagnosed with diabetes has made a stupendous positive impact on my life.

Once you finish your education classes, I don't think you'll have any trouble on the cruise. You'll learn to eat to a pattern (so much meat, so much carb, so much fat at each meal), and it will gradually become second nature for you to adapt whatever food is present into that pattern, and adjust your portion sizes accordingly.

If you're healthy enough for it, take the stairs rather than the elevator whenever possible. I think, ultimately, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to stay in control while cruising.

One other thing I recommend is to borrow or purchase a copy of "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide to the Newly Diagnosed" by Gretchen Becker. It's widely available, and I've purchased copies and distributed them to friends and family who have been diagnosed. It really helps you understand your disorder, and understanding is power.

Best wishes to you. Educate yourself, and if you have been diagnosed early enough you may find actually find this to be a positive turning point in your life.

Edited by jtmalt

As far as desserts go, don't go overboard with the silly (IMHO) sugar-free desserts served on board. For the most part, they're really not that good (although there are exceptions...the SF Key Lime Pie isn't bad). Moreover, just because they are sugar-free, they're not carb free.

Instead, I'd recommend having a small or half portion of the real thing. You will be happier and more satisfied, and, since the real desserts normally have a very high fat content, the absorption of the carbohydrate content will be slowed down anyway. Just watch the portion size and savor every bite. Then climb the stairs to deck 14 after dinner!

Well since I started this thread a few months back I've dropped almost 20 pounds, am working out everyday and most times my numbers all range to under 145 after dinner.

I still struggle with higher numbers in the morning (lovely dawn phenomon) but even they are never higher than 115. Tried different things to fix that but to know avail.

But the remainder of my day is always great.

Only 50 more days and we sail and I can't wait.

thanks everyone

Elaine

• 1 month later...
I was diagnosed Type 2 about 6 months before my cruise last September. I did the low carb thing and tested, tested tested so I could learn what foods really affect me and by how much. Six months later my A1C went from 7.2 to 5.0 (I really worked hard at it and basically ignored the the ADA high carb recommendations that you tend to get at some of the education classes). After six months and 30 pound weight loss, I cut myself some slack for the cruise. If I wanted a pretzel roll, I had one. That creme brulee? Yep, I had it. It was one week, I am not on insulin just metformin and ate whatever I wanted in moderation. I gave myself permission to go "off plan" for 7 days.

Since you are newly diagnosed, I recommend visiting the diabetesforumns dot com for help and support.

OP I definitely agree with brucelegs. Diabetes forum is a wealth of info.

A word of caution: Sugar free doesnot mean carb free. Diabetics really need to watch all carbs and many sugar free options still contain carbs. Watch white foods, potatoes, rice, flour, pasta noodles. Stick with meats,proteins and veggies. Fruits can be problematic for some so testing after meals is especially important.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Please do not flame me, lots of great advice already, better researched than mine. I was diagnosed with type two, and since then un diagnosed ??????

Any way after I was diagnosed, weight loss was the first area to work on with metforen(sp) I started the low carb Atkins diet, lost mucho pounds, I did the diet almost by the book, I was montering the sugar daily, and it became so low at times, and was having issues with low readings. Anyway off the drug, still considered a diabetic, but after a few more years, a1c was normal etc. I was undiagnosed. I gain too much weight back but still OK.

The Atkins diet might be a good place to start, but follow the professionals advice, but remember everyone is different, or what works well for some may not work for you. You have to know or read your own body, professionals, only rely on tests and the averages from a large group to make decisions.

Eating on the ship has lots of low carb options, the main problem is volume control, on what ever you eat. Maybe I have gained some control over volume, on our last b2b 28 day adventure I lost one pound. I do believe the main dish portions in the MDR are for the most part, almost dietary correct.

• 3 weeks later...

saleaway, this is my first experience with cruisecritic, and my first post. i hope i am doing this correctly.

i've been reading all the comments on this thread and they are all good.

i would love to know how your cruise went.

i have been diabetic type 2 for 15 years now. i recommend a book: "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide to the Newly Diagnosed" by Gretchen Becker", which was also recommended by another person. be sure to get the second edition. the first edition is available for ereaders, but the second is not.

i have let myself go physically, so my numbers have not been good recently. i just got burned out having to pay attention to everything so strenuously. diabetes is relentless and i just got tired and discouraged, which is not surprising after all this time, so i forgive myself. i hope that never happens to you.

i'm getting geared up to go on my 5th cruise! i will be taking the stairs and doing the more physical excursions and staying active. i've never just 'laid out by the pool', not even once! i like the food options on a cruise. i like to eat four to six smaller meals a day. i love the quality of the food in the main dining room. i find that if the food is high quality and nutritious, i eat less of it. it's also helpful that i don't care for sweets. every now and then i get a chocolate craving, but not often. when that happens, i eat 4 bites. that's usually enough.

i wish you all the best in your continued quest for good health!

wow lots of really good advice and congrats to all of you that have controlled your numbers so well. My husband just got diagnosed with type2 last year and I went to the classes with him so my two cents will jsut be.When you go to your class and talk with a diatician she will customize a plan for you to ensure you dont have too many or too little carbs so when you cruise you will kind of know how many carb choices you can have for a meal. just eat sensible portions and try to eat wheat not white and by all means enjoy and try not to stress about it because stress can make your numbers higher. Also if you are concerned you ate too much and your number is too high 2 hours after the meal take a good walk to try to help it down. Also dont forget to bring some sort of sugar or glucose tablet with you on/off the ship in case of a plunging number. You also may want to get an ID bracelet saying you are diabetic type2. Good luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...
Elaine, I fully relate and empathize with you. I was diagnosed last year and it did alarm me at first. However, what saved my life, literally, was a Diabetes Education course at my local hospital. My doctor set it up. I'm hoping you have one in your area, but I absolutely urge you to go. It will help you make informed choices.

So many people think it's about "the sugar". It's actually about the carbohydrates. You will learn how to count them, how many to have at each meal, which carbs are "better" than others, what foods to eat with carbs to slow their absorption into your system, and which foods are high, medium, and low on the Glycemic Index scale. It may sound daunting now but trust me, soon you will be able to figure it out in your head and you will find something to eat at every meal.

I thought going on a cruise would be difficult for me because of all the choices but in the ened, that's what saved me - there is a lot of choice. You will find foods that are delicious, nutritious, and carb-friendly. But... you have to get educated first. Make sense?

Please start making calls today and set this counselling up. It is imperative. There is a lot of information out there and not all of it is, well, helpful or correct! Like I said, it saved me. Since I was diagnosed last year I have lost 50 pounds, my blood pressure is way down, my blood sugar level is that of a non-diabetic, and I feel much better. It all seemed like a nightmare at first but in the end, this diagnosis saved my life.

God bless.

Wow, that is inspiring. I have a friend that was diagnosed this year. Unfortunately, she is very overweight and isn't watching what she eats. She did for the first month or so but now isn't even checking her blood sugar levels. It is very nice to hear that you took control and greatly improved your health.

Be carefull {NO SURGER ADD }??????????? Is I am not sure.

I am not diabetic but am trying to watch my sugar intake. I just bought the chocolate powder from Coffee Bean that said no sugar added - when I actually looked at the label I noticed there was 4grams of sugar per tablespoon. Not as good as an option as I thought!

I have a prominent history of diabetes in my family and have had to be very careful my whole life. I also feel your pain but on a completely different level. I have recently been told, through process of elimination, that I have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

This not only means no sugary sweets and no artificial sweeteners (think no cookies, deserts, pastries, doughnuts), no red meats (think no ground beef, hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, roast beef, pastrami, salami, bologna, pepperoni, corned beef, ham, bacon, sausage, pork chops, and anything else that comes from cows, pigs, sheep, goats, deer, etc.), as well as no dairy (think no cheese, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, cream, half-and half, ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt, frozen yogurt), no wheat or gluten products, no coffee, no caffeine, no carbonated beverages of any kind, no alcohol, nothing battered and deep-fried (think no french fries, onion rings, fried chicken) and have to stay away from crackers, pancakes, waffles, french toast, biscuits, and scones. Also on my no-no list are shortening, margarine, all oils, fats, spreads, etc., mayonnaise, salad dressings, tartar sauce, cool whip, coconut milk, shredded coconut, nuts, and potato chips.

My next cruise is going to be a challenge! ;)

oh wow gosh yes it is going to be a challenge for you..and i thought being a diabetic was a real bummer on food choice...you will have to let us all know how you went onboard hun when you get there...wow!!..now i am only new here and an aussie...we measure bsl a little differently..anyhows i am on the low carb thing..not necessarily low fat though...although i do try...i have been newly diagnosed and still monitoring blood sugar levels frequently..i too know that diet is an individual thing...my levels spike with pasta, bread, rice, oatmeal, any cereals, pancakes...so i figure my best bet is no more than 20 grams of carb per meal..that is what i aim for...so i have but out a lot from my normal diet...learning to substitute for flour alternatives is interesting..so far i have tried ground flaxseed meal..fantastic as a cereal alternative and good for thickening things like soups and stuff..also there is almond meal..makes pretty good pikelets..i am learning heaps and buying books and recipe books...my problem is being active..but i want to work on that real soon when i get this diet thing sorted...hoping to make good choices whilst on board to help with the blood sugar levels..my bsl never goes below 5 and has on occasion been as high as 11..but usually hovers around 6 or 7...i too have a high level in the mornings..for me high 7s or even an 8 something every now and then....hmm i think diabetes is an individual thing what is normal for one is not normal for another...cheers liz

Wow, that is inspiring.... It is very nice to hear that you took control and greatly improved your health.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

I just bought the chocolate powder from Coffee Bean that said no sugar added - when I actually looked at the label I noticed there was 4grams of sugar per tablespoon. Not as good as an option as I thought!

Indeed.

Some no-sugar items are actually worse than their sugar counterparts. Can you believe it? I have been reading labels since my diagnosis, and am blown away with the information I've gotten. For example, a name-brand "no sugar added" chocolate candy, individually wrapped and way more expensive, has 9 carbs per piece. Now, Hershey Kisses, the regular ones we all love in the silver foil, have 3 carbs each. I can have 3 Kisses for the same carbs as one of the no sugar added chocolates. That blew me away! Guess which I'd rather have, and I absolutely can have them if I want to. The body treats those carbs the same - converting them into sugar.

Reading your labels can save you some valuable carbohydrates. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the kind words. :)

Indeed.

Some no-sugar items are actually worse than their sugar counterparts. Can you believe it? I have been reading labels since my diagnosis, and am blown away with the information I've gotten. For example, a name-brand "no sugar added" chocolate candy, individually wrapped and way more expensive, has 9 carbs per piece. Now, Hershey Kisses, the regular ones we all love in the silver foil, have 3 carbs each. I can have 3 Kisses for the same carbs as one of the no sugar added chocolates. That blew me away! Guess which I'd rather have, and I absolutely can have them if I want to. The body treats those carbs the same - converting them into sugar.

Reading your labels can save you some valuable carbohydrates. :)

While I'm not a fan of "no sugar added" chocolate, I'd like to point out that the carbohydrate content on the label includes the full value of the sugar alcohols (manitol, sorbitol, etc) that they're using as a sugar substitute. These are actually very poorly digested and absorbed (as evidenced by their laxative effect). The rule of thumb is that you count sugar alcohols as 1/2 the amount of carbohydrate they appear as on the label.

Again, I'm not a fan because of the unintended side effects, and would prefer a small piece of a good, real chocolate.

..and would prefer a small piece of a good, real chocolate.

Yes, I am enjoying some Lindt dark chocolate these days, individually wrapped squares, at a mere 2 carbs each. Wonderful. :D Seems the darker the chocolate, the fewer the carbs. I have only been able to go to 85% cocoa; I see Lindt makes a 90% and a 99% but I don't think I could handle it. :p

• 3 weeks later...

We have the 21 day cruise for Panama Canal coming up in April, our longest yet!!!

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

The nurse has me testing once a day, for now before or after meals on a rotating basis. My A1C was 12.4, however my tests for the past two weeks have all been at 7.4 and below! So I think I am doing quite well so far with diet to control my #'s! I do get my 30 minute dog walk in every day for fitness. It take metformin for my meds along with my high blood pressure pill, which I have taken for 20 years.

Frankly I was a bit scared on the first day how difficult the diet would be! But after two weeks, and a lovely wife who is following the same low GI diet. We are doing great! No horrible cravings! And I have lost 10 lbs. 6'4" and 230lbs currently. I was up to 290 at the first of the year!!!!

So what am I saying here? LOL! It is nice to here that we are still able to cruise and enjoy our holidays! On the 7 cruises we have taken previously we have always taken the stairs instead of the elevator. We plan at least two to three walking/hiking excursions as part of our shore excursions. I will have to plan doing a 30 minute walk everyday while we are at sea to get my fitness in for the day.

I did change my onboard preferences to diabetic/insulin with Princess, so hopefully someone actually looks at that? I will probably just select their "Healthy Choices" portion for dinner every meal.

Thanks for replying to my post! Thanks also to Langley Cruisers, nice to see another fellow Canadian dealing with the same issues!

Edited by Rrdstarr

• 1 month later...

First a bit of history , I am a 46 yr old male and was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic 10 yrs ago , I control my diabetes with pills, diet and exercise, I drive a truck so eating out is a common thing. First and foremost I would have your doctor set you up with a dietician who will get you on the right path . Now while on your cruise or even just eating out , just be smart, there are plenty of acceptable appetizers ,main courses and even desert choices on the main menu without feeling like you are missing out . I won't eat the bread ,fried foods or sweet cold soups , rice ,or any other refined starches ,and try and just eat the proteins , I also keep my portion sizes about the size of my open palm . Also, be active , get out and walk around the ship or go to the gym, exercise is more important to you as a diabetic than you can ever imagine , just getting on a regular walking schedule will help you almost as much as your diet . And also let me tell you this, Diabetes is not the end of the world , do what your doctor tells you, exercise and you will be surprised how little it impacts your life . Happy sailing and God Bless !

• 1 month later...

Just had my second A1c test and my number has dropped to 6.0!!!! Needless to say I am very relieved! Also excited that I was able to drop it that fast in three months! I am less worried about what to eat on my cruise, but I will still behave!

• 4 weeks later...
Just had my second A1c test and my number has dropped to 6.0!!!! Needless to say I am very relieved! Also excited that I was able to drop it that fast in three months! I am less worried about what to eat on my cruise, but I will still behave!

Awesome good for you 6.0 is control catagory so Kudos to you!! ... I went from 7.9 to 5.9 by droping 20 LBs.. I hope to loose another 10 By my Aug cruise... but exercise and carb control.. is the best way to go cruising.. lots of protien( somokes samon omettes) yum :) and salads and the sugar free desserts sometimes are good..

Thanks Miamilady! You have done very well too! I lost all my weight before I was diagnosed with Type 2.

Started last Friday! I haven't experienced pain like this since I broke my pelvis, femur, knee, and both ankles! At least the pain went away in a few days! The shingles were all on the left side of my head in the hairline. I could barely see them but the Wife could see them so off we went to my Doctor's. A week later I am starting to feel a bit better. Still off work, but functioning with sleeping the day away on pain medication.

So glad I got the shingles now! (Not really!) and not the week before we leave for our 20 day cruise!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've cruised on X and HAL since a Dx 2 1/2 years ago, and ate very well on my very low carb regime, at that time under 50 gms per day. But now I've ditched the Metformin and am controlling even better with high fat, low carb - I try for 80% of calories from fat every day. I'm thinking that will be a hard one for the HAL kitchen to comprehend, since most people ask for low fat. Has anyone succeeded in getting really high fat in the MDR?