Just diagnosed with Diabetes

saleaaway

I am also recently diagnosed with diabetes. My dr. has me on metformin... just finishing my 2nd week. We are leaving on the Diamond on April 15th and have booked our excursions. What can I take along on the excursions as a snack. Most of them provide lunch but they start early in the morning. I know I'm going to need something! On most of our cruises, you were not allowed to bring any food from the ship... so, what are my options?

I am also recently diagnosed with diabetes. My dr. has me on metformin... just finishing my 2nd week. We are leaving on the Diamond on April 15th and have booked our excursions. What can I take along on the excursions as a snack. Most of them provide lunch but they start early in the morning. I know I'm going to need something! On most of our cruises, you were not allowed to bring any food from the ship... so, what are my options?

I take individual serving bags of nuts,fiber bars and jerky from home. Some people take the little boxes of cereal from the ship. I think most ports don't want you to bring in fruits, meat, etc.

There is universal misunderstanding out there about Diabetes. A tablespoon of a baked potato will raise your blood sugar both higher and faster that a tablespoon of sugar. It is difficult to face that it is really the carbohydrates that are the problem, we love them so.

Just finished my seventh cruise in 3 yrs. I am type 2 diabetic for eight years and control it totally by diet and exercise. I tell folks you can fool yourself but you can't fool the glucometer... Take a reading before a meal and then two hours later, the numbers tell the truth about what you ate.

I eat no bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, carrots, peas, and very small amts of beans, tomatoes and onions - what used to be called starches. I follow Dr. Richard Bernstein plan with 6 carbs for bkfst and 12 per lunch and 12 per dinner; I am very healthy.

When I tell the cruise line I am diabetic they tell me they have "sugar free desserts". The dietary/culinary departments do not understand; I cannot eat any of the cruise lines "sugar free desserts" they are much too high in carbohydratess. I find the days in port more difficult because much of the food offered on Lido Deck (other than basic salad vegetables) are filled and/or covered with carbs. I find more choices in MDR for lunch than Lido options and eat in MDR whenever it is open.

I love cruises because it is difficult for me to travel only because of food options whether in Europe or Latin America and I have traveled extensively over the years. I can always find something healthy on the ship, one must ignore the cruiselines misunderstanding diabetes and look out for yourself. I request no sauces or gravies and am careful about anything that may have been marinated in fruit juices or whatever.

Also I don't use the elevator to travel between decks except on Elegant night(s) when I have high heels on; go to the gym every morning and walk the upper deck for 30 minutes after dinner. I am the only person I know who always loses a bit of weight on a cruise..ha!

I do love cruises but as a diabetic I have to avoid what they call "sugar free" - the food is always loaded with carbohydrates. Enjoy!

Edited by Aislinncursala

What can I take along on the excursions as a snack... I know I'm going to need something! On most of our cruises, you were not allowed to bring any food from the ship... so, what are my options?

You will need some protein and some carbs. My first thought was cheese - what about cheese strings? Remember those? :D And nuts, and crackers. All of these can be purchased in individual packages and taken with you in your suitcase, or bought at a store in your embarkation city. I am loving the All Bran Bars lately - 17 carbs each, nice flavour. :)

Aislinncursala - I eat just about like you do, except I don't do beans at all. I give a do/don't eat list to the MDR on arrival and they do make me sauces, cream and/or wine-based ones. I'm just trying to eat more fat than Bernstein recommends, otherwise I'm with him.

• 2 years later...