a little help please :)

aelittleb

we just booked (last fri) on ncl epic for nov, 2012. as of right now it is just myself, my dh and my ds booked in the room but there is a good chance there will be another little one joining us. im a little confused about when to get insurance. i understand i should book now to cover any pre-existing conditions (dont have any) but we havent booked flights and i know nothing about this future child (like there might be a pre-existing condition) or if something will come up from the pregnancy.

i dont know what to do! i want to be safe and cover all bases, especially since its so far away and you never know what can happen!

if i end up booking it now, when i go to insuremytrip.com, should i just add $1k for the estimated flight costs? do i say its for 3 people (what we have now) or for 4 (what we will have when we go)?

sorry if these are repeat questions. i looked through quick and couldnt find exactly what i was looking for :D

i looked through quick and couldnt find exactly what i was looking for :D

I doubt that you will find exactly what you're looking for on any web site. The pregnancy issue just has too many "what-ifs" that need to be sorted out.

Some of your questions are straight forward -- you can add the cost of your airfare to your existing policy when the tickets are purchased. Be sure to add them in the time frame necessary to keep your pre-existing condition coverage in effect.

I have seen some insurers let you insure a not-yet-born future child (Travelex has done so in the past). But some won't. Once you've chosen a policy you'll have to call them to see what they can do. Worst case is that you buy an additional policy for the child once he/she is born. The problem with that is if you've chosen a plan that covers kids for free they normally will have to pay if they're on a policy buy themselves rather than being included on a policy with you.

The insurers are so far apart on pregnancy-related issues that there is no general rule of thumb. You're going to have to call someone for guidance. If you've already been to insuremytrip call their customer service number. The folks at tripinsurancestore.com can help too. But no matter what they recommend, once you've picked out a plan I'd recommend that you call the insurer itself to verify any answers you got. It's just so complicated and the chances for a mis-communication are so great that you really need to, at some point, talk directly to the insurer. Email is even better since you'll have a written record of the answers to your questions.

You have more to be concerned about than just an insurance policy. It's not clear from your post, but if you are pregnant, and are talking about taking this baby on your November cruise, keep in mind how old the baby will be at the time of sailing.

NCL will not allow a child under six months of age to board.

thanks everyone! i think we are going to wait until we are quite a bit closer and ive already had the baby (oct 2011). then we will go from there ;)

When you get to final payment there are a couple of policies you can get that will offer primary medical coverage, pre-ex coverage, etc...by purchasing just before final payment. I sell these kinds of polcies somewhat often.

Archived