travel insurance help please

bnbcruizin

never bought travel insurance before and reading all the forums and policies i'm just more confused. can someone recommend a good basic package plan. my biggest concerns would be cancelling trip due to illness of ourselves who would be traveling or illness/death of a family member who is not traveling with us and a medical emergency while on the cruise. any suggestions would be appreciated. also do you buy the insurance as soon as you make final payment on the cruise? what if you haven't purchased airline tickets yet can you still purchase the insurance or do you have to purchase airline tickets before purchasing the insurance? i have looked at travel guard, travel insured and travel safe.

I am only speaking from personal experience here and everyone has one of them. Because I have a pre-existing condition I purchase my insurance within 10 days of initial deposit in order to waive any pre-existing conditions. If you have a pre-existing condition in order to waive them you must either purchase within the required time which is anywhere generally from 10-21 days after initial deposit or purchase CSA Freestyle Lux at final payment. If you do not purchase as mentioned then there is a 'look back' period if you do make a claim to see if that condition reared it's ugly head within the last 90 days (again depending upon policy) of when you purchased it.

If you have not yet booked your trip I hardly ever recommend the cruise line's insurance but if you do buy that make sure you pay for it when you book otherwise it does not waive pre-existing conditions either just because you say you want to purchase the insurance it isn't effective until you pay for it and it's non-refundable.

I use Travelex because it's a primary insurance and I don't have to submit to my HMO and wait to be denied and then submit to an insurance company. But this is all subjective and there are people on the boards who know insurance inside and out.

All insurance plans will cover those basic items, and all three of the companies you mention are fine. If you purchase the insurance within two weeks of making your cruise deposit you will include pre-existing medical conditions. Estimate the cost of air on the high side and include it in your initial purchase (policy prices change at each $500 worth of coverage). You can always reduce coverage later if prices go down.

never bought travel insurance before and reading all the forums and policies i'm just more confused. can someone recommend a good basic package plan. my biggest concerns would be cancelling trip due to illness of ourselves who would be traveling or illness/death of a family member who is not traveling with us and a medical emergency while on the cruise. any suggestions would be appreciated. also do you buy the insurance as soon as you make final payment on the cruise? what if you haven't purchased airline tickets yet can you still purchase the insurance or do you have to purchase airline tickets before purchasing the insurance? i have looked at travel guard, travel insured and travel safe.

I was also looking for a plan to cover basically the same reasons above. Have no pre-existing illnesses BUT just made my final payment last week. Is that a problem? I'm sailing in two months. Thanks.

emen822

You are too late to purchase pre-existing condition coverage for any policy that I know of, but you are certainly still able to purchase insurance with the standard look-back or exclusion of pre-existing conditions. For a good explanation of these and for a pre-screened comparison of good policies, see here.

http://tripinsurancestore.com/get-a-quote.php

http://tripinsurancestore.com/faqs.shtml

There are other sites (insuremytrip, squaremouth) as well, but that is my personal favorite.

emen822

You are too late to purchase pre-existing condition coverage for any policy that I know of, but you are certainly still able to purchase insurance with the standard look-back or exclusion of pre-existing conditions. For a good explanation of these and for a pre-screened comparison of good policies, see here.

http://tripinsurancestore.com/get-a-quote.php

http://tripinsurancestore.com/faqs.shtml

There are other sites (insuremytrip, squaremouth) as well, but that is my personal favorite.

Thanks. Unfortunately those links aren't working for me but I'll see if I can google it.

ETA: Even when I google it, its not letting me access the site. Might be something I can't access from my work computer. I'll try tonight at home.

Archived